what's wrong with our club

Dr Gloom

Trevor Brooking was in charge when they were relegated..

84479[/snapback]

Pedant. Brooking took over when Roeder got sick, but if I remember there were only a handful of games to go.

The West Ham fans comments I seem to remember were good coach, very pleasant fella but not so good in the managers role.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading an article about clubs that switch managers often versus those that dont. The stable clubs had the better results.

I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

84457[/snapback]

Hardly earth shattering news is it? The managers keep their jobs because they get better results.

84459[/snapback]

Or vice versa???

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/ne...ticle337749.ece

Didnt Ferguson win nowt for 3 or so years, but they didnt sack him....

84461[/snapback]

what exactly does Graeme Souness have to do with Alex Ferguson ?

I was reading an article about clubs that switch managers often versus those that dont. The stable clubs had the better results.

84457[/snapback]

Hardly earth shattering news is it? The managers keep their jobs because they get better results.

84459[/snapback]

Or vice versa???

84461[/snapback]

What is vice versa? Crap managers who don't get results get sacked. And which clubs most often sack their managers? Those underachieving, especially those in relegation fights. Latter is excatly why we should sack the manager now by the way...

84462[/snapback]

Vice versa meaning its entirely possible that those clubs that dont constantly sack their managers get better results.

84464[/snapback]

you can tell by watching the team play, the momentum, spirit and attitude, if the manager knows what he is doing or not

Oh and vice versa

of course, rather than use hindsight ? Have you never heard of making a decision and having the courage of your convictions.

You can't criticise a decision you were happy with yourself .... seems only correct and right to me anyway

On the other hand I can criticise those who were dumb enough to say give Souness time to be successful because as you say, I got it right !

84344[/snapback]

Ultimately though, the buck stops with Shepherd. He got Gullit wrong, he got Dalglish wrong, and now he's got Souness wrong. That fans may or may not have been happy with those appointments is irrelevant. The mistake is Shepherd's, nobody else's.

84345[/snapback]

The vast majority of supporters thought he had Gullit and Dalglish right. It isn't irrelevant to point this out at all, it means if someone thinks Shepherd is a dumb cunt then they must be too especially if you think he should have foresight that you yourself don't possess.

I can see in Gemmills world, he is never wrong, he's just allowed to change his mind, use hindsight or look into the future..if only

84411[/snapback]

I'M never wrong?? You're the one who (employing hindsight) casts yourself as the man who "KNEW from the very beginning things would turn out like this etc. blah blah".

84433[/snapback]

.... but I did [no hindsight at all as you know]

didn't I ?

84450[/snapback]

I KNOW that every time you post on here you'll make some mention of "those that said give him time" and how wrong they were. Maybe your magical powers are rubbing off on me. :huh: Or maybe you're just like a broken record. :search:

84472[/snapback]

give it time :o

:huh:

84457[/snapback]

84459[/snapback]

Or vice versa???

84461[/snapback]

What is vice versa? Crap managers who don't get results get sacked. And which clubs most often sack their managers? Those underachieving, especially those in relegation fights. Latter is excatly why we should sack the manager now by the way...

84462[/snapback]

Vice versa meaning its entirely possible that those clubs that dont constantly sack their managers get better results.

84464[/snapback]

you can tell by watching the team play, the momentum, spirit and attitude, if the manager knows what he is doing or not

Oh and vice versa

84486[/snapback]

Nice one!

:search:

84457[/snapback]

84459[/snapback]

Or vice versa???

84461[/snapback]

84462[/snapback]

84464[/snapback]

Oh and vice versa

84486[/snapback]

Nice one!

84488[/snapback]

:search:

84457[/snapback]

84459[/snapback]

Or vice versa???

84461[/snapback]

84462[/snapback]

84464[/snapback]

Oh and vice versa

84486[/snapback]

Nice one!

84488[/snapback]

84489[/snapback]

I understand what you are saying, its just I'm terrified at what FS will do next.

I know that you support him and indeed the club has made significant player purchases over the years since he became Chairman.

However, at times when we should have bought (Keegan, 2nd place, SBR CL place) we "kept our poweder dry" and other times bought out of sheer panic (Luque).

Also, the timing of sackings have been ludicrous.

I just dont have confidence in the man to select the right candidate at the right time. He could easily get rid of Souness and wheel in Bruce!

Edited by NewJerseyMag

Shepherd partly for appointing that idiot and sacking SBR at the wrong time (although can't argue with the funds he gives out)

Souness for being just an idiot

Douglas Hall for being the parasite waste of manfat that he is

84139[/snapback]

Things are 20 times better than they were before Shepherd and the Halls mate. Before 1992 Jim Smith was our 8th EIGHTH choice of manager in 1988, even fuckwits such as Souness wouldn't have looked at us, all we were was a stepping stone for managers AND players, even Geordies.

84151[/snapback]

That my friend is very true, but as i only started supporting the Toon since Ossie was in charge as i was only bout 7 at the time i can't really state that, but when you look back it's clearly alot better with the club nearly going bust n such and it must have been shocking having to see the likes of Pedro, Waddle, Gazza all going onto pastures new

84194[/snapback]

that is true mate, and if you look at that and around at other chairman at other clubs we could do a lot lot worse than Shepherd in spite of his faults, for a start not many people would be prepared to put up the amount of money it would take to buy out Shepherd without wanting a say in the club and they couldn't do better regarding backing managers with cash, an area where Shepherd has excelled in.

He has only appointed one manager that supporters generally weren't happy with, and even then some backed him as we have seen on this message board.

84304[/snapback]

:huh: .....couldnt resist!

Basically the cash should have been made available whoever was in charge cos it's been there to dole out. Some Chairmen might not have but that doesnt make FF God Almighty for having actually done it.

Re everything else, he's a PR disaster who brings the club into disrepute and brings standards down generally. He makes us look like a laughing stock with his soundbites and undermines the managers that he does bring in in the process. He's weak in all the areas where you need a chairman to be strong.

84307[/snapback]

2001-02 In Out

========= ===

Quinn 800,000 Beherall 150,000

O’Brien 2,000,000

Bellamy 6,000,000

Robert 9,500,000

Jenas 5,000,000

2002 – 03 In Out

========= ===

Bramble 5,000,000 Green 150,000

Viana 8,500,000

Woodgate 9,000,000

Amrose 1,000,000

2003 – 04 In Out

========= ===

Nil Cort 2,000,000

Solano 1,500,000

2004 – 05 In Out

========= ===

Milner 5,000,000 Lua Lua 1,750,000

Butt 2,500,000 Speed 750,000

Carr 2,000,000 Woodgate 13,000,000

Souness In Souness Out

======== ==========

Boumsong 8,000,000 Bellamy 4,500,000

Faye 2,000,000 O’Brien 1,500,000

Parker 6,000,000 Hughes 1,500,000

Emre 4,000,000 Jenas 7,000,000

Owen 16,000,000

Luque 9,500,000

42m out and 300,000 in before summer 2003, and you think we should have shelled out more millions.......get real

84347[/snapback]

Erm.....no. I dont believe I said that either.

you said, "Basically the cash should have been made available"

He said the money should have been made available whoever was in charge, meaning that if it was Souness, Keegan, Hitzfeld or whoever, Shepherd still had a right to provide the dough that he did..

He's never once said he's never provided adequate funds - read the post FFS Leazes....

Shepherd partly for appointing that idiot and sacking SBR at the wrong time (although can't argue with the funds he gives out)

84139[/snapback]

Things are 20 times better than they were before Shepherd and the Halls mate. Before 1992 Jim Smith was our 8th EIGHTH choice of manager in 1988, even fuckwits such as Souness wouldn't have looked at us, all we were was a stepping stone for managers AND players, even Geordies.

84151[/snapback]

That my friend is very true, but as i only started supporting the Toon since Ossie was in charge as i was only bout 7 at the time i can't really state that, but when you look back it's clearly alot better with the club nearly going bust n such and it must have been shocking having to see the likes of Pedro, Waddle, Gazza all going onto pastures new

84194[/snapback]

that is true mate, and if you look at that and around at other chairman at other clubs we could do a lot lot worse than Shepherd in spite of his faults, for a start not many people would be prepared to put up the amount of money it would take to buy out Shepherd without wanting a say in the club and they couldn't do better regarding backing managers with cash, an area where Shepherd has excelled in.

He has only appointed one manager that supporters generally weren't happy with, and even then some backed him as we have seen on this message board.

84304[/snapback]

Basically the cash should have been made available whoever was in charge cos it's been there to dole out. Some Chairmen might not have but that doesnt make FF God Almighty for having actually done it.

Re everything else, he's a PR disaster who brings the club into disrepute and brings standards down generally. He makes us look like a laughing stock with his soundbites and undermines the managers that he does bring in in the process. He's weak in all the areas where you need a chairman to be strong.

84307[/snapback]

2001-02 In Out

========= ===

O’Brien 2,000,000

Bellamy 6,000,000

Robert 9,500,000

Jenas 5,000,000

2002 – 03 In Out

========= ===

Viana 8,500,000

Woodgate 9,000,000

Amrose 1,000,000

2003 – 04 In Out

========= ===

Nil Cort 2,000,000

Solano 1,500,000

2004 – 05 In Out

========= ===

Souness In Souness Out

======== ==========

Owen 16,000,000

Luque 9,500,000

42m out and 300,000 in before summer 2003, and you think we should have shelled out more millions.......get real

84347[/snapback]

He said the money should have been made available whoever was in charge, meaning that if it was Souness, Keegan, Hitzfeld or whoever, Shepherd still had a right to provide the dough that he did..

He's never once said he's never provided adequate funds - read the post FFS Leazes....

84504[/snapback]

nice interjection Craig ....

the figures are for the benefit of everyone who for some reason thinks we had a bottomless pit of money, now and in 2003, and also those who insist the only player we signed that year was Bowyer, when also for some reason they seem to think we should have waited 6 months and bought Woodgate in the summer instead [as explained]

Edited by LeazesMag

84139[/snapback]

84151[/snapback]

84194[/snapback]

84304[/snapback]

84307[/snapback]

2001-02 In Out

========= ===

O’Brien 2,000,000

Bellamy 6,000,000

Robert 9,500,000

Jenas 5,000,000

2002 – 03 In Out

========= ===

Viana 8,500,000

Woodgate 9,000,000

Amrose 1,000,000

2003 – 04 In Out

========= ===

Nil Cort 2,000,000

Solano 1,500,000

2004 – 05 In Out

========= ===

Souness In Souness Out

======== ==========

Owen 16,000,000

Luque 9,500,000

84347[/snapback]

84504[/snapback]

nice interjection Craig ....

the figures are for the benefit of everyone who for some reason thinks we had a bottomless pit of money, now and in 2003, and also those who insist the only player we signed that year was Bowyer, when also for some reason they seem to think we should have waited 6 months and bought Woodgate in the summer instead [as explained]

84541[/snapback]

To be fair though, you seldom seem read a post accurately. It's like you read what you want to read.

To be fair though, you seldom seem read a post accurately. It's like you read what you want to read.

84546[/snapback]

a pretty wild supposition isn't it ... not really having a dig mate, but this business about Woodgate and the clubs spending prior to that summer HAS been mentioned before, and don't get me wrong I'm as pissed off as anyone, especially regarding Souness I've thought for years he's an incompetent bully and a 1st grade twat. My point is the same as its always been, Shepherd has provided EVERY Newcastle manager with the resources to be successful but they have ALL made too many shit buys and wasted too much of it

Edited by LeazesMag

84546[/snapback]

a pretty wild supposition isn't it ... not really having a dig mate, but this business about Woodgate and the clubs spending prior to that summer HAS been mentioned before, and don't get me wrong I'm as pissed off as anyone, especially regarding Souness I've thought for years he's an incompetent bully and a 1st grade twat. My point is the same as its always been, Shepherd has provided EVERY Newcastle manager with the resources to be successful but they have ALL made too many shit buys and wasted too much of it

84552[/snapback]

Spot on tbh :huh: