Kids

Kid Dynamite

Who's got them?

Im 13 months into being a dad and it just keeps getting better. The first 3 months were torture but once they're walking and talking it's class :D

It was a bit of a culture shock (still is), not so much stopping me going out on the lash etc as id pretty much stopped that anyway, but more from the point of view there's no breaks 12hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I'd love to just have a morning in bed bingeing on Netflix!!!

I don't have any, never really wanted them but the last couple of years I have started to change my mind a bit. 

Not it sure I could get over my selfishness and being able to do what I want on a whim though tbh.

34 minutes ago, ewerk said:

My first was due today but still no sign of him/her. I'm expecting a huge shock to the system when it arrives.

Congrats. My wife was in Labour for about 14 hours and it was a great night. Packed lunch, Face Off and Grand Designs on the telly, born at 6am and back home for the best sleep I've had in years 

Ours was a week overdue. Tried spicy curry, long walks and nowt worked. Had sex and she started contractions within hours. Probably a coincidence like but worth giving it a go ;)

Edited by Kid Dynamite

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Congrats. My wife was in Labour for about 14 hours and it was a great night. Packed lunch, Face Off and Grand Designs on the telly, born at 6am and back home for the best sleep I've had in years 

Ours was a week overdue. Tried spicy curry, long walks and nowt worked. Had sex and she started contractions within hours. Probably a coincidence like but worth giving it a go ;)

Congratulations! :good:

• Like 1

Got a 6 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. Life changing/affirming experience, being a dad. Without question the best thing I've ever done. 

Now, I don't want to wish their lives away or owt but I'm slightly looking forward to my 40s when they're both a bit more independent and I can get some sleep back and start going out a bit more again.

The 6 year old is class now - he'll sit and read in his bedroom without bothering us and can even go downstairs on a weekend, put the telly on and help himself to cereal, but the 2 year old is a right handful; she frequently wakes up kicking off, wanting to get in to our bed with us in the middle of the night.

Oh, and she's not potty trained yet. We went camping the other week and she did a dirty protest in the tent, literally smearing shit everywhere, like a stomach turning scat movie. Quite looking forward to not having to clean up shit anymore.

Sleep deprivation and scat scenes aside, it's great! 

Every time people talk about kids, they end up saying 'Kids are great, really changed my life for the better' with no examples of how. And then they go on to reel off numerous examples of absolute misery foisted on them by their young. As such, I've always been of the opinion that when people say 'kids are great/wait until you have kids' they mean 'please join me in my misery, I'll feel better about it that way' :D

My little un is 12 now.  Unfortunately she hasn't lived with me since she was 4 which is a right cunt (particularly in the early days).  Despite staying close to her and seeing her regularly I do feel like I missed a hell of a lot.

The flip side I got to go back to being selfish and able to do things on a whim (with slight caveats) and I no longer have to see her bitch whore mother every day.  Being able to come home from graft and go straight to kip should the desire arise was a particular favourite in the early days.  Especially as I'd barely slept for the previous few years.

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Every time people talk about kids, they end up saying 'Kids are great, really changed my life for the better' with no examples of how. And then they go on to reel off numerous examples of absolute misery foisted on them by their young. As such, I've always been of the opinion that when people say 'kids are great/wait until you have kids' they mean 'please join me in my misery, I'll feel better about it that way' :D

Its the catch 22. Once you have kids you can truly appreciate the life you had before them. But the 23hrs a day of grief they give you is worth it 10 x over when they smile at you and give you a cuddle. It's a cliche but it's pretty much the point behind us being on the planet 

My son is  2 1/2, the first six months were wretched (because we had no idea what we were doing), and I have to say, it was pretty blissful for about two years. Now he's turning into a right little terror though, a proper little troll. The "terrible 2s" are real apparently. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It's a cliche but it's pretty much the point behind us being on the planet 

I'd like to think we've evolved beyond biological imperative at this point.

There's plenty of rather unsavoury things in our genes too.