PRE-SEASON

Anorthernsoul

Went to that last night, was a decent little run out against a well organised, albeit shite, Hearts team. Can see what they're going for with De Jong and Gayle, lots of through balls to try and beat the offside trap. Everything went through Shelvey as usual so it'll be tough if he misses any games. Gamez looked accomplished when he came on, to the point where you wonder how we'd look if he was fit all last season. Anyway, good run out and always nice to see Aaron Hughes

The penalty miss aside, their number 11 looked a handy little player

Edinburgh pint prices: excessive

37 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

De Jong will get shamrock poisoning

Fractured metatarsal. 

Tripped on a potato.

Partially down to the opposition, but for an early pre-season game I thought our passing was pretty crisp and our movement much better than our normal pre-season levels.

Morning all Hearts fan in peace, my wee lad does match day vlogs and he's produced one from Fridays friendly.  His channel on you tube is footballmania hd  So if you fancy seeing your team and fans from a different perspective give it a look. 

Best of luck for the season coming up. Cheers 

26 minutes ago, Footballmania said:

Morning all Hearts fan in peace, my wee lad does match day vlogs and he's produced one from Fridays friendly.  His channel on you tube is footballmania hd  So if you fancy seeing your team and fans from a different perspective give it a look. 

Best of luck for the season coming up. Cheers 

Morning mate, 

Nice work from the lad, maybes have him do a bit more stuff to camera before and after the game to bookend it? Predictions for and review after? 

What do you lads think of Cathro? He came to Newcastle with a good reputation, and was the only member of the 1st team coaching staff kept on by Rafa after the McClaren debacle. 

Your #11 apparently looked good, what's he like?

What did you think of our lads? Fans?

• Like 1

Watched the replay of the game yesterday while hungover and the first half was actually one of the more entertaining friendlies I've seen.  SDJ looked very good whenever he got the ball.  He would have been a really good asset for us last season and possibly could this. If he can actually stay fit and if his lack of pace isn't exposed in a competitive premier league setting.

Second half was unsurprisingly much poorer but I though Lejeune looked pretty good and Gamez and Saivet surprised with pretty decent performances.  It would be really nice to see these players actually come through and contribute this season but I won't get carried away with how they've done in a friendly against a mid table Scottish team.  Still I'll take a win over a team much further on with their fitness than we will be at this stage.

I'll be worried if Mbemba has to play rightback at all for us going off his first half performance.

Thanks for the feedback, will pass it on. 

Re. Cathro I think he'll definitely be given until January to see how it works for him. He made some signings in the January window to get us through to the end of the season and on paper the signings looked decent but it seemed to destroy any team harmony that was there. 

Seemingly that's going in the right direction with the signings of Berra and Lafferty. Hearts #11 isma goncalves is on his day a fantastic player, some don't take to him as he tends to "conserve his energy" but he's strong and got great feet. 

I travel down with my son as he follows toon as his English team so have seen them in the Prem and the Championship. My honest opinion is (and I know your team the other night was chopped and changed) that I think you might struggle a bit unless you get a few signings in. Shelvey for me is far and away your top man, Aarons had a good half and Gayle will get goals, if you play it on the ground.

There are similarities between how the teams play, on the ground, attractive stuff until the opposition press then play long when pressured. 

Re. your fans they made a great noise throughout the game and speaking to some I think they enjoyed their day up the road!

Hearts really scored an own goal not giving toon a bigger allocation as no doubt you would have filled the end. Nobody could really understand that one. 

That said the tickets went to general sale and there were plenty toon fans in the home end with no bother. 

Whats your goalkeeper situation? Is Darlo not about? Elliot made a couple of outstanding save the other night. 

We could do with a loan of one.

• Like 1

Just had a chance to watch the replay.

-How the fuck has Rafa got them looking that sharp at this stage of preseason?

-Lovely to see De Jong looking a very capable player for the first time in a Newcastle shirt.

-Hopefully the fact that Colback was introduced with Hanley and Armstrong means he's on his way too. :pray:  

-Saivet >>>>> Colback but everyone looked decent, to be honest.

-I hope Rafa's looking to put together a side for the kind of crisp passing game displayed in that match.

-Are De Jong and Lejeune related?

28 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Preston match is being live streamed by PNE. But you need a £45 annual subscription to watch it!

Hopefully we'll find something like you did last  week mate

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Preston match is being live streamed by PNE. But you need a £45 annual subscription to watch it!

You know some NERD will find a way to HAXORZ and stream that.