Other Games 18/19

30 minutes ago, Noelie said:

Mitro scores 2 more for Fulham, 7 goals in 5 games.

Our leading scorer has scored 5 all season.

Did Rafa get it wrong?

No, hes playing in a division below for one of the better sides in that league, while that doesn't invalidate his good form lets not pretend he'd have had the chances hes had against the defences hes been playing if he was still with us. Besdies which hes already pretty much admitted himself that he struggles with Rafas tactical approach and I'd rather have Rafa than Mitrovic

Gayle got 23 in 26 starts in that league last season and is that top scorer you are referring to.

Adam Armstrong has been excellent for Blackburn but its in league one so no ones losing their shit over it

38 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

HERE MAN WE'VE JUST WON 3-0 AND YA STILL BANGING ON ABOUT MITRO FFS!!!!

26 minutes ago, Andrew said:

No, hes playing in a division below for one of the better sides in that league, while that doesn't invalidate his good form lets not pretend he'd have had the chances hes had against the defences hes been playing if he was still with us.

There is a tendency to forget that prolific goal scorers in lower leagues often attract attention, and sometimes when they are bought-up for their ability to score goals at a lower level, they succeed at a higher level.

Classic example is Vardy, Halifax Town, played 37 scored 26......Fleetwood Town, played 36 scored 31....then Leicester in the Championship & Premier League  and still scoring goals.

25 minutes ago, Noelie said:

There is a tendency to forget that prolific goal scorers in lower leagues often attract attention, and sometimes when they are bought-up for their ability to score goals at a lower level, they succeed at a higher level.

Classic example is Vardy, Halifax Town, played 37 scored 26......Fleetwood Town, played 36 scored 31....then Leicester in the Championship & Premier League  and still scoring goals.

And for every vardy there are how many nugents?

In any case Mitro has been loaned to Fulham, not sold, if he does well and comes back confident, fit and willing to work his way into Benitezs side then thats all the better for us.

• Like 1

Aye, @Noelie man, how can you not have seen that point coming?

Edit:  About the many failures for every success story.

Edited by adios

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Maybe someone with more of a tactical eye than me can tell me what Joselu did for the team that Mitro didn’t in his fleeting appearances?

Not as he was told by the manager.

Don't get me wrong, I've no issue with Mitrovic but the lads admitted himself that he struggles to follow Rafas instructions properly, that he prefers Fulham and his national team because he has fewer instructions to follow so its little wonder he does better in their systems (and against weaker opposition with relatively better team mates in fulhams case).

Just now, ewerk said:

I’ve heard and understand all that. But what is the tactical role that Joselu is currently carrying out that Mitro couldn’t? Genuine question.

No idea. Rafa seems to know though, it might be tiny and Rafa just doesn't like the slight deviation, office "mavericks" are annoying as fuck, can't imagine its that different in a football team

• Like 1

When Joselu first came in, he looked way more mobile, could hold the ball up.  Now he's been replaced with an actual Spanish donkey.

Mitro has always looked a far superior goal scorer (which is really saying something) but Joselu when he first came in at least looked like a better choice for the system.

2 hours ago, Noelie said:

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

And for every vardy there are how many nugents?

Thing is, you keep harping on about 'lower division' as though that was a cemetary. :razz:

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Maybe someone with more of a tactical eye than me can tell me what Joselu did for the team that Mitro didn’t in his fleeting appearances?

We’ll need the Fish to answer this one, it’s the subtle off the ball and off camera movements that most don’t pick up on. 

11 hours ago, Noelie said:

Mitro scores 2 more for Fulham, 7 goals in 5 games.

Our leading scorer has scored 5 all season.

Did Rafa get it wrong?

No

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

No idea. Rafa seems to know though, it might be tiny and Rafa just doesn't like the slight deviation, office "mavericks" are annoying as fuck, can't imagine its that different in a football team

I think this is it Andrew. 

I think in a team where you need everyone pulling together you cannot afford that one person upsetting the balance. 

9 hours ago, ewerk said:

I’ve heard and understand all that. But what is the tactical role that Joselu is currently carrying out that Mitro couldn’t? Genuine question.

Doesnt matter now Gayle is looking more like the player he was last season. He’s a confidence player and a run of games looks to have done him good after that barren run earlier in the season.

All players are confidence players. 

Joselu looked alright for a £5million player when he first came, worked really hard and scored a couple of admittedly fluke goals. He is playing with no confidence atm, which is why he looks even worse.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Loved seeing Mark Noble trying to hoist that kid off the pitch by his kegs. In Noble's mind, he was probably pushing immigrants into the channel, all in the name of Brexit.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, strawb said:

All players are confidence players. 

Joselu looked alright for a £5million player when he first came, worked really hard and scored a couple of admittedly fluke goals. He is playing with no confidence atm, which is why he looks even worse.

Gayle has something about him at least - decent pace and not a bad finisher. Nice assist for our second too when he was entitled to have a shot, good vision to roll it to the back post for a tap in. Much better player than Joselu, if you ask me.

Gayle's really come alive, particularly since the Man United game. Getting involved in the play a lot more, hassling and harrying defenders. I agree that he's just needed a run of games to get his confidence up. And, due to the nature of his game, the whole team playing a lot better helps him a lot. Since Kenedy's come in and Shelvey's hit form again, we're a lot better on the ball.