Other Games 18/19

For as much as Liverpool had their spells, I thought from about an hour onwards, Barca sussed them and outclassed them. The two divvies on BT Sport were asking why Liverpool were trying to be so precise instead of crossing balls into space, somehow ignoring that Barca had every defender as well as Busquets, Rakitic and Vidal in the box when Liverpool had the ball out wide, completely restricting the space. If Dembele wasn't such a donkey, the tie would be done and dusted. As much as I'd like to see Ajax's young team win, I think this Barca side has too much know-how, quality and experience at this stage to be beaten by anybody. Not to mention Messi being in the mood for another treble.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Not bad for his 600th Barca goal

Thats mental by the way. Shearer was the best striker of his generation and only managed 206 for us 

Shearer 422 in total including internationals. We’ll probably not see anyone like Messi & Ronaldo again...

19 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Not bad for his 600th Barca goal

Thats mental by the way. Shearer was the best striker of his generation and only managed 206 for us 

He was class but he wasn’t the best of his generation 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

He was class but he wasn’t the best of his generation 

In the mid 90s there weren't many better in the world. Ronaldo? The other big names at the time tended to be no.10s, Baggio, Bergkamp, Cantona etc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

In the mid 90s there weren't many better in the world. Ronaldo? The other big names at the time tended to be no.10s, Baggio, Bergkamp, Cantona etc. 

Ronaldo was on a completely different level. Shearer was up there with the rest if you’re talking out and out goal scorers though before the Goodison Park injury that is. I’d probably put Weah at a similar level to Shearer given the superiority of Serie A back then. Shearer was probably in the top 3 no. 9s at his peak 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

Ronaldo was on a completely different level. Shearer was up there with the rest if you’re talking out and out goal scorers though before the Goodison Park injury that is. I’d probably put Weah at a similar level to Shearer given the superiority of Serie A back then. Shearer was probably in the top 3 no. 9s at his peak 

The mad thing is, Messi isn't even an out and out striker. He spends a lot of the game on the wing or behind the striker in midfield picking the ball up

Over the years he's had the likes of Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Henry, Suarez, Ronaldinho, Alexis Sanchez, David Villa, Neymar etc. to play alongside and take a lot of the chances that would otherwise fall to him. He's pushing 700 goals with his international tally

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The mad thing is, Messi isn't even an out and out striker. He spends a lot of the game on the wing or behind the striker in midfield picking the ball up

Over the years he's had the likes of Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Henry, Suarez, Ronaldinho, Alexis Sanchez, David Villa, Neymar etc. to play alongside and take a lot of the chances that would otherwise fall to him. He's pushing 700 goals with his international tally

Aye. He’s absolutely incredible. All the things you mention then there’s the assists, chances created and so on. I remember as a kid reading about the likes of Dixie Dean and even as a youngster I had an appreciation it was easier for forwards back then. 30 odd years more of tactical improvements, greater fitness levels, less space, etc and Messi is consistently scoring at crazy rates. 30+ goals for 11 seasons in a row man :lol: 

• Like 1

That’s the only point any relegated side has taken from a top 6 club all season.

Ole just keeps breaking records!! 

• Haha 1

Aye they’ve had a shite season but I think the fans are grateful they got a shot in the top flight more than anything.

Even with their new found wealth there are no guarantees in the championship. Plenty clubs have spent and got nowhere.