Other Games 18/19

On 16/09/2017 at 2:44 PM, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

Both Manchester clubs away and Chelsea at home their next 3 fixtures :lol:

And us after that nightmare run.

It's entirely conceivable that they'll come to St James' with 0 points from 8 games and a hefty negative goal difference. The Manchester clubs are each averaging 3.3 goals a game and I can't see Palace shutting out the likes of Aguero and Lukaku in their current form.

They've got players with the ability to win games on their own, so if Hodgson sorts them out defensively the likes of Benteke, Cabaye, Townsend and Zaha could well propel them up the league. 

Trouble is, none of those are particularly consistent and they've only got 33 games to get 40+ points. 

Roy's record in the Premier League.

Matches W   D   L   Goals   Pts    PPG

219    75 56 88 261:283 281  1,28

Yeah it's annoying that we could well be the first team to drop points against them. They'll either be shot for confidence, in which case they're an easy 3 points, or they'll be fucking desperate and playing like it's a cup final. We all know which it'll be...

See also: Derby County.

Edited by Rayvin

I'm torn between hoping they get mullered every game before ours, and hoping they get a plucky point against a Manchester club. Even better have an unlikely victory snatched from their hands in the 95th minute when they entertain Chelsea.

Whatever happens, we'll be the side they 'expect' to get something from, but the way we're set up should make that more difficult than they'd like. Think they'd have a better chance of points from Brighton or Huddersfield, than us.

After us and West Ham, they've got Spurs, Everton and Stoke. :cantlook:

I hope they've got 0 points and 0 goals by the time we play them. There's always the worry that we'd do our typical and lose to the wankest team in the league, but I think the way we set up will be a nightmare for them as they'll come flying forward out of desperation and Rafa will have our lot set up to just be patient. 

1 minute ago, Howay said:

I hope they've got 0 points and 0 goals by the time we play them. There's always the worry that we'd do our typical and lose to the wankest team in the league, but I think the way we set up will be a nightmare for them as they'll come flying forward out of desperation and Rafa will have our lot set up to just be patient. 

Part of the reason I was mentioning inexperience in the other thread. Kevin Nolan would focus the lads to put the muggy little cunts from Croydon away, will Lascelles get the same focus from Atsu, Murphy, Hayden, Shelvey, Yedlin et al?

Not saying he won't but complacency might be an issue for less experienced players.

Aye, it's always a worry but the professionalism and maturity of lads like Hayden, Lascelles, and Merino gives me hope that they can avoid that sort of issue. They done a good job at dispatching a lot of the shite last season so hopefully they help hammer another nail in Palaces coffin. 

On 28 December 2007, in a surprise appointment,[57] Hodgson accepted the post of manager at struggling Premier League team Fulham, with his contract beginning on 30 December 2007.[58] The club were 18th, two points from safety and had only won two Premier League games all season. Hodgson's first game in charge was the West London derby against Chelsea at Craven Cottage which his club lost, 2–1. Hodgson made half a dozen signings in the January transfer window, the most important proving to be centre half Brede Hangeland, who would go on to become a key player for the club and who Hodgson had managed at Viking. Hodgson initially endured a run of very poor results with the club, including being knocked out of the FA Cup on penalties after two draws against League One side Bristol Rovers. Apparently certainties for relegation to the Championship, Fulham picked up just nine points from Hodgson's first thirteen league games. However, a run of twelve points from the last five games of the season, including a 3–2 win over Manchester City after being 2–0 down with twenty minutes remaining, secured the Cottagers' survival, which was confirmed on the final day of the season with a 1–0 win over Portsmouth.[59]

Tbh I'm not even that arsed about Palace going down. I'd take it happily, but they're not interesting enough to want relegated. It's mostly just amusing that they've set a record for failing to score that quite possibly could be continued for another 3 games at the least. The sort of record that will stand for centuries IMO :D

Edited by Rayvin

Just now, Rayvin said:

Tbh I'm not even that arsed about Palace going down. I'd take it happily, but they're not interesting enough to want relegated. It's mostly just amusing that they've set a record for failing to score that quite possibly could be continued for another 3 games at the least. The sort of record that will stand for centuries IMO :D

Harsh thinking the mackems won't be back up in all that time.

33 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Aye, I'm mainly joking about them being cunts, they're not interesting enough to actually get wound up about them.  That said, a sub-Derby season would be lovely, just because it'd be funny for any club to suffer that kind of season.

Only teams I really have a proper hatred for are Spurs and Manchester United.  Oh and Huddersfield can fuck off back down too, though I can't really remember why.

Just now, adios said:

Only teams I really have a proper hatred for are Spurs and Manchester United.  Oh and Huddersfield can fuck off back down too, though I can't really remember why.

I dislike (but don't hate) Spurs because I genuinely think they were similarly positioned to us a few years ago. I would have included Liverpool in that bracket as well, except that they at least had a wealth of relatively recent successes to fall back on to support their progress as a club. Spurs have fuck all, same as us. I'm kind of annoyed that they managed to step up and compete from a position of being no marks in our shadow.

At least we tend to give them a proper whopping every few years.

Not too arsed about Man United either. Had a strong dislike for Liverpool but I've softened now that we have Rafa for some reason.

1 hour ago, adios said:

On 28 December 2007, in a surprise appointment,[57] Hodgson accepted the post of manager at struggling Premier League team Fulham, with his contract beginning on 30 December 2007.[58] The club were 18th, two points from safety and had only won two Premier League games all season. Hodgson's first game in charge was the West London derby against Chelsea at Craven Cottage which his club lost, 2–1. Hodgson made half a dozen signings in the January transfer window, the most important proving to be centre half Brede Hangeland, who would go on to become a key player for the club and who Hodgson had managed at Viking. Hodgson initially endured a run of very poor results with the club, including being knocked out of the FA Cup on penalties after two draws against League One side Bristol Rovers. Apparently certainties for relegation to the Championship, Fulham picked up just nine points from Hodgson's first thirteen league games. However, a run of twelve points from the last five games of the season, including a 3–2 win over Manchester City after being 2–0 down with twenty minutes remaining, secured the Cottagers' survival, which was confirmed on the final day of the season with a 1–0 win over Portsmouth.[59]

So it's a bit more like Woy came into a struggling team, made them doomed, and then rescued them from the brink :D

Edited by rogerbarton

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I dislike (but don't hate) Spurs because I genuinely think they were similarly positioned to us a few years ago. I would have included Liverpool in that bracket as well, except that they at least had a wealth of relatively recent successes to fall back on to support their progress as a club. Spurs have fuck all, same as us. I'm kind of annoyed that they managed to step up and compete from a position of being no marks in our shadow.

At least we tend to give them a proper whopping every few years.

Not too arsed about Man United either. Had a strong dislike for Liverpool but I've softened now that we have Rafa for some reason.

Hatred is defo way too strong a word, until match day at least.

5 minutes ago, rogerbarton said:

So it's a bit more like Woy came into a struggling team, made them doomed, and then rescued them from the brink :D

:lol: Aye, that was pretty much my takeaway too.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I'm really hoping for a couple of teams to be properly DOOMED this year to take the pressure off us. 

Early days of course, but crystal palace could well be one of those teams, especially after their next 3 very tough matches.