Carabao Cup - Nottingham Forest / Home / 2nd Round

Anorthernsoul

3 points at the weekend is easily an order of magnitude more important than this match.  Rafa doesn't have the squad this season.  I guess it's easy to disagree with you when I agree with his priorities.

I'm pretty worried about this season too, but we may as well wait a week before we start digging the grave.

35 minutes ago, adios said:

3 points at the weekend is easily an order of magnitude more important than this match.  Rafa doesn't have the squad this season.  I guess it's easy to disagree with you when I agree with his priorities.

I'm pretty worried about this season too, but we may as well wait a week before we start digging the grave.

Yes, the league is more important but staying in the league and having a cup run are not mutually exclusive. He could have made 4 or 5 changes and still started with a strong team but he chose to make 10 changes.

Staying in the league has to be our primary focus but at least have a go in the cups, otherwise it all becomes rather futile.

Besides, we now go into our next match on a downer having lost at home to a Championship team. However, had Benitez picked a stronger team, we could have possibly won and taken some momentum into Saturday.

Aaron's was by far our best player. He was our only stand out player in the first half. Murphy was anonymous in that half too aswell as everyone else. In the second half he always took one touch too many.

Saivet  > Diame. Rafa switched them positions second half and he got involved alot more than Diame has in the last season.

None of our full backs can cross a ball.

That was pretty depressing even for a random team playing in a LC tie. Aarons was the only one who actually looked like he had a bit of quality and even then, he's a greedy bastard at times. Hanley was Div 4 standard on that showing, the kids tried but are painfully never going to be anywhere near PL standard, Murphy was a big disappointment, Mitrovic was Mitrovic and Fish needs to get to specsavers if he thinks this kid is anything but an utter pedestrian. We're in massive trouble if we don't get a striker in because joselu didn't look the part in an all be it, brief appearance and I'm not convinced Gayle will play over half a season and score a a load. I normally don't take too much from cup games, win, lose or draw, but a few fringe players showed even less talent than I had them down for. Lazaar and Hanley being stand out shit, Gamez, finished, Darlow? No thanks. This squad cannot handle injuries/suspensions, big time.

Ye knaa, aa fully expected DeJong to start , he wasn't on the bench and hasn't been for our 3 games. I like him and think he would be an asset.

I really have to question Rafa cos he's never started wot I consider our best and winning team. I can assure you that with my experience, expertise, know-how, ability, and knowledge of the game, we would not have lost our first 3 games.:rolleyes:

Surely de jong has been sold/is in the process and that's why he hasn't features. He's the highest pedigree of the players we're looking to shift.

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think Rafa is trying to make a point to Ashley here. I agree the team selection is dodgy but he's always been one to rotate players between competitions. If exposes the shit in the squad. 

Honestly think anger should be directed at the fat man. If Rafa walks we are royally fucked.

This, clearly.  If some of our "better" players who were rested had been injured tonight, then he would have been criticised for playing them.  He can't win on that basis.  That was a clear statement to the fat man that he needs better players than those we have.

Rafa's picked the best side available without impacting on the team selection for the weekend, suggesting he purposely sent a rubbish side out to prove a point is silly. On another day the same side could easily have won. The draw for the next match make the loss slightly more palatable as we'd surely be on a hiding to nothing sending our second string there - lightning doesn't strike twice at the same location*. Rafa seems to believe that there will be action before the window snaps shut, here's hoping as it is patently necessary.

*- scientifically incorrect statement but you get the point.

I don't get this Rafa picked players to show them to potential buyers. If that's the case no cunts gonna buy half that shite! 

Rafa to make a point too is  a bag of wank. In previous seasons Ashley is happy were out so we can concentrate on staying up. 

I'm bored to fuck about all the speculation of the Ashley Rafa bollocks in the media. It's a fucking circus and Rafa pulling shite like this isn't helping. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ewerk said:

No poll? This year's predictions competition has gone to shit. @The Fish

I can't put a poll in a thread that's already started. That's the responsibility of the person starting the thread.

fwiw I predicted a Nottingham win

The side picked could and possibly should have won last night. No great shock that the team selected weren't a unit comfortable with each other's game. 

We have an average to poor squad, so it's no great shock a team doing well in the Championship defeated our 2nd/3rd string, is it? It's also hardly surprising Benitez named an overhauled first 11, he can keep the 1st team drilling for the league games to get the first win and get that ball rolling.

If we had the stronger squad he wanted he could have named a few changes for this game, and a few changes for the West Ham match without sacrificing the amount of quality he did. But we don't have the quality in the squad because he's not been allowed to spend. Also the injury/suspension situation means that instead of players around the first team like Merino, Lascelles & Clark/Mbemba we were playing Saivet, Hanley and the kids. 

Make no mistake, the fault for this Cup exit lies squarely at Ashley's feet.

He's brought in 16 players since last summer for £90mish, most of them 'squad fillers' as opposed to superstars, why aren't the squad players good enough to beat a low-spending Championship side? Because half of them are absolutely shite. That's not Ashley's fault