Carabao Cup - Nottingham Forest / Home / 2nd Round

Anorthernsoul

11 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He's brought in 16 players since last summer for £90mish, most of them 'squad fillers' as opposed to superstars, why aren't the squad players good enough to beat a low-spending Championship side? Because half of them are absolutely shite. That's not Ashley's fault

Partly due to inheriting a legacy of weak squads, partly because a squad player for the championship isn't necessarily going to be good enough to be a Premier League squad players, even in the cups. Squad players benefit from the ability of those around them, the Championship squad players don't make up a whole other team capable of beating Championship opposition. 

And Rafa's made missteps in transfers, sure, but overall he's bought what he can with what he's got, and what he's got is not a lot and that's Ashley's fault. 

Why didn't we strengthen in January, and given we didn't strengthen in January, why didn't we already have signings lined up for the minute this window opened? Signing in Jan could have sewn up the title before the final day, given Benitez time to bed the new players in before the Premier League campaign, stolen a march on other sides, and avoided the inflated nature of this window. 

Instead we're rooting around the bargain bin for players who are 3rd, 4th, 5th on the list.

This is down to Ashley being a cunt, Charnley being useless and Barnes being a weasel.

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

An opportunity to give the club, players and fans a boost following 2 shite opening games and he's playing politics and sacrificing our place in the cup.

This pretty much sums up my

thinking.

10 changes is an absolute joke, particularly given the international break coming up.

We're very lucky to have a manager as good as Benitez but he should not be above criticism.

2 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

This pretty much sums up my

thinking.

10 changes is an absolute joke, particularly given the international break coming up.

We're very lucky to have a manager as good as Benitez but he should not be above criticism.

I don't think people are saying he's above criticism, just that the choice to field a much weakened side in the League cup is justified, given the current situation. 

Gayle isn't fit so that leaves Mitrovic (who Rafa doesn't have faith in) or brand new signing Joselu.

We've four wingers so it makes sense to give the two who've not featured much an opportunity in the cup

Our most important midfielder got himself sent off, so that means we have to play Merino in the league, where under normal circumstances you'd expect him to have player this fixture. Didn't Hayden get a knock in the Huddersfield game?

We lost two of our first choice back four, so surely, were they fit, Lejeune and Dummett would have been rested for this game, and Lascelles/Mbemba would have started instead.

Add to that the fact we've no points and the League Cup is not a priority.

He should have made the 'first teamers' play as a fucking rocket up their arse.

We're not in the Championship like last year so we dont play so many games and it's a less physical league.  FFS even Stoke played more or less a first team!  Resting the poor di dums.  Fucking pussys.

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He should have made the 'first teamers' play as a fucking rocket up their arse.

We're not in the Championship like last year so we dont play so many games and it's a less physical league.  FFS even Stoke played more or less a first team!  Resting the poor di dums.  Fucking pussys.

Gayle isn't fit, Lejeune and Dummett aren't fit, Shelvey is suspended, so what would your team have looked like?

57 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Ritchie?
Atsu?
Hayden?
Clark?

I would have started Joselu too

We've four wingers, Aarons and Murphy need game time.

Hayden gets injured (or is just tired) before the West Ham game and we're playing Merino and either Saivet or Diame in midfield against a Premier League side when we've zero points on the board.

Our defence is threadbare at the minute. Clark's having to play LB.

Joselu hasn't been here long.

Other than that I agree.

Just because they're not mutually exclusive doesn't mean they're not heavily correlated.

I am on the fence about this btw (for a change), but still leaning "fuck the Cup".   Basically, the only reason I see to play the first team and risk injuries is Billy's argument about momentum.

Edited by adios

35 minutes ago, adios said:

Just because they're not mutually exclusive doesn't mean they're not heavily correlated.

I am on the fence about this btw (for a change), but still leaning "fuck the Cup".   Basically, the only reason I see to play the first team and risk injuries is Billy's argument about momentum.

And the team named last night;

1. had limits on it due to injuries and suspensions
  2. could and should have progressed

I can't fault Benitez's overall decision, one or two different options maybe, but choosing to heavily rotate totally makes sense to me.