Joselu

ewerk

Another squad player, was hoping we'd actually sign some players for the starting eleven this summer but at least it's another body through the door and a player that Rafa has obviously picked.   Lets hope Rafa can get more from him than Hughes.

11 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Another squad player, was hoping we'd actually sign some players for the starting eleven this summer but at least it's another body through the door and a player that Rafa has obviously picked.   Lets hope Rafa can get more from him than Hughes.

I read he's on 50k. Got a feeling he might be playing #10.

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

I read he's on 50k. Got a feeling he might be playing #10.

3 year contract suggests he's not expected to be a first teamer to me.  They usually get 5-6 years.  Of course the £5m price and Rafa's "He knows the challenge we've given him at Newcastle and he's keen to come and fight for a position in the team" also suggests he's not been bought to come straight into the team.

I can't understand how Huddersfield can outspend us when we had that profit from last summers transfers.  Surely we should be able to spend at least as much as them + what we made last year.  I know there's various reasons it's not quite that simple but something doesn't seem to add up.

4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

3 year contract suggests he's not expected to be a first teamer to me.  They usually get 5-6 years.  Of course the £5m price and Rafa's "He knows the challenge we've given him at Newcastle and he's keen to come and fight for a position in the team" also suggests he's not been bought to come straight into the team.

Well everybody has to fight for a place that's how Benitez operates and he probably won't be thrown straight into it but if he can't get Perez out of the team then he isn't worth signing. Doubt Benitez would have wasted a limited budget on somebody that he doesn't see as being able to hold down a place in the first team though

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Well everybody has to fight for a place that's how Benitez operates and he probably won't be thrown straight into it but if he can't get Perez out of the team then he isn't worth signing. Doubt Benitez would have wasted a limited budget on somebody that he doesn't see as being able to hold down a place in the first team though

We seem to have done that with every signing except Lejeune so far.  I really can't follow the thinking on this summers business.

20 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I can't understand how Huddersfield can outspend us when we had that profit from last summers transfers.  Surely we should be able to spend at least as much as them + what we made last year.  I know there's various reasons it's not quite that simple but something doesn't seem to add up.

i think the sums add up. we have a tight cunt holding the purse strings. 

49 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

We'll have made a big financial loss in our Championship season. I'm guess that the transfer surplus is to cover that and/or to repay Ashley's £33m loan.

if ashley gave a shit, he'd forget about his loan repayments until we'd established ourselves as a PL club. it'll save him money in the long run. forcing rafa to try to find bargains at the bottom end of the market is risking yet another reelgation, not least if he has enough of it and walks. 

I think It's all there in the club's & Ashley's  statements. Rafa has, in my opinion despite what he said last week, to get rid of players before he can spend even a moderate amount in what's left of this window; "Rafa can have every penny the club generates, including money from player sales" Then Ashley last week basically saying he's not going into debt to finance strengthening the squad. Fuck knows what they told Rafa in May/June. Most championship clubs who go on like this go straight back down. I think we stand a better chance than most of staying up. With hindsight being that wonderful thing it was probably always going to be like this. Tbf a lot of us said from the moment Rafa confirmed he was likely to be fucked around by fat boy and leave in a hurry at some point because of it. Or of course you could say you wouldn't re mortgage a house and go into significant debt if you were about to put it on the market....

Joselu is apparently a big lad who can hold the ball up well (if they think they can shift Mitro I think they will tbh) & 5 mill is nothing, but this lad Mounie who scored 2 for Huddersfield at the weekend was 11 million and scored something like 1 less goal than Mbappe in Ligue 1 last season. Could be an excellent signing for them. Compare that to a journeyman who couldn't get a game for Stoke fuckin City last season :glare: 

Joselu might turn out to be a duffer. He might turn out to be well worth the fee paid for him.

He also might surprise us all and actually do far far better than any of us would have ever thought possible.

Until he gets some decent game time, we won't have a clue which one of the above he turns out to be.

Stating the obvious I know. The point is, it's better to have the player in and the hope that he can be potential decent rather than not having a new striker, at all.

If anyone can change the lads fortunes for the betterment of himself and obviously, us, then it is Rafa. Not only tactically but also mentally due to there being no language barrier and also having a decent contingent of Spanish players already at the club to ease him in.

I'd say there's more positive to take from this signing than negatives. 

Demba Ba was also a Stoke reject in a sense.

I could go on and on about supposed rejects from clubs that's turned into gems and some of them we sold on ourselves.

All signings are positives until they turn out to be alternate.

Maybe he's making a point to Ashley "this is the best i can get with the money provided"

Murphy £10 million

LeJune £9  million

Atsu     £6.5 million

Joselu £5  million

Manquillo £4.5 million

Merino  Loan deal