Joselu

ewerk

all players have the potential to surprise and to completely dismiss the signing before he's kicked a ball would be silly. but there's almost certainly a reason why he's valued at £5m and couldn't get a game for stoke. 

it's obvioulsy a massive gamble if this is our only striker we sign this summer. i'll view it more positively if he's been signed to add depth by replacing murphy and we go on to sign a forward with top flight experience and a good goals record to compete with gayle. 

High fees on a potential top striker does not guarantee anything more than a smaller fee on potential.

It's basically down to the club any player settles at and the way they play for the player.

Look at Torres for Liverpool. Expensive at the time but prolific and worth the money.

Sold to Chelsea for 50 million and flopped because they didn't play to his strengths and/or he wasn't suited.

I'm nit picking in a way because I do know that quality players who command higher fees do tend to produce overall but there's a hell of a lot of players that are potential high transfer quality who just don't show it until they've basically had a little club change here and there.

Ultimately some clubs manage to get the spoils of that player, who happens to fit right in.

Sissoko for us is a classic at the start and a Tottenham downfall.

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

all players have the potential to surprise and to completely dismiss the signing before he's kicked a ball would be silly. but there's almost certainly a reason why he's valued at £5m and couldn't get a game for stoke. 

it's obvioulsy a massive gamble if this is our only striker we sign this summer. i'll view it more positively if he's been signed to add depth by replacing murphy and we go on to sign a forward with top flight experience and a good goals record to compete with gayle. 

It could be that he's dogshit, but it could be that his style didn't fit, his face didn't fit or there were personality clashes in the dressing room. Nothing to do with his ability or lack thereof.

I did see a rumour on twitter (I know I know) that he was banging the daughter or sister or wife of someone at the club. :lol:

46 minutes ago, trooper said:

Maybe he's making a point to Ashley "this is the best i can get with the money provided"

Murphy £10 million

LeJune £9  million

Atsu     £6.5 million

Joselu £5  million

Manquillo £4.5 million

Merino  Loan deal

Its not making a point is it? This is what we're getting with the budget Rafas been provided with. There's no dressing it up positively or negatively. This is it. 

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It could be that he's dogshit, but it could be that his style didn't fit, his face didn't fit or there were personality clashes in the dressing room. Nothing to do with his ability or lack thereof.

I did see a rumour on twitter (I know I know) that he was banging the daughter or sister or wife of someone at the club. :lol:

Stoke paid a little over £5m two years ago and since then he struggled his first season and then went and a not massively successful loan back in Spain.  Whether or not he's been banging someone he shouldn't, the price we're paying is pretty fair given his lack of success.  Even with the ridiculous prices currently going around.  We'd do very well to get back anything like what we paid for Riviere (who tbf has done much less in three years than Joselu has in two).

It comes back to what we've done in general this window rather than the specifics of this deal.  I think there was hope after the last two summers that we were now moving away from the days of Carr looking for bargains in France and coming back with Amalfitano, Riviere and Gouffran.  We spend good money on Thauvin, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, Ritchie and Gayle.  This summer we've not even matched what we spend on any of those players.

8 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Stoke paid a little over £5m two years ago and since then he struggled his first season and then went and a not massively successful loan back in Spain.  Whether or not he's been banging someone he shouldn't, the price we're paying is pretty fair given his lack of success.  Even with the ridiculous prices currently going around.  We'd do very well to get back anything like what we paid for Riviere (who tbf has done much less in three years than Joselu has in two).

It comes back to what we've done in general this window rather than the specifics of this deal.  I think there was hope after the last two summers that we were now moving away from the days of Carr looking for bargains in France and coming back with Amalfitano, Riviere and Gouffran.  We spend good money on Thauvin, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, Ritchie and Gayle.  This summer we've not even matched what we spend on any of those players.

In my honest opinion, judging by what I've seen pre-season and against Tottenham with some. I think we've brought in some real quality players that far outweigh their price tags as it stands.

They hold massive potential to do well for us.

Lejeune is real quality.

Merino looks quality.

Manquillo has the potential to make a name for himself.

Murphy has excellent potential to succeed, as well as being a Newcastle fan.

Atsu we've already seen is way beyond his price tag.

That group added to what we already have in quality, plus later additions to show what they're about, as in, Joselu and maybe the odd buy and loan before a closed window of maybe, Kenedy etc. I'd say we've done pretty well considering the outlay.

All it's down to is how hungry and physically/mentally tough they all are over a seasonal course.

Most buying clubs are on that dangling string, so let's just see what we can pull out of the bag.

Fingers crossed we can overachieve as a bonus but comfortably avoid playing around the drop zone as a real expectation.

12 minutes ago, wolfy said:

In my honest opinion, judging by what I've seen pre-season and against Tottenham with some. I think we've brought in some real quality players that far outweigh their price tags as it stands.

They hold massive potential to do well for us.

Lejeune is real quality.

Merino looks quality.

Manquillo has the potential to make a name for himself.

Murphy has excellent potential to succeed, as well as being a Newcastle fan.

Atsu we've already seen is way beyond his price tag.

That group added to what we already have in quality, plus later additions to show what they're about, as in, Joselu and maybe the odd buy and loan before a closed window of maybe, Kenedy etc. I'd say we've done pretty well considering the outlay.

All it's down to is how hungry and physically/mentally tough they all are over a seasonal course.

Most buying clubs are on that dangling string, so let's just see what we can pull out of the bag.

Fingers crossed we can overachieve as a bonus but comfortably avoid playing around the drop zone as a real expectation.

I think you're over estimating the impact of the players so far.  The new signings combined have managed about a game and a half of premier league football so far.  So judging them is foolish so soon IMO.  Yes they all looked decent but let's wait until they've managed a few games before saying how good they are.

But again I stress this isn't the point.  The concern is that when other clubs (admittedly most of them have the TV money from last season that we didn't get) are spending good money  we're back to hunting for bargains who seem to be more for the squad than the first team (shown by the fact we only started two new players on Sunday and it would have been just one had Yedlin been fit).  We've shown before that we can find the odd gem for next to nowt, but ultimately it led to relegation.  I thought we would have learned from that but apparently not.

4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I think you're over estimating the impact of the players so far.  The new signings combined have managed about a game and a half of premier league football so far.  So judging them is foolish so soon IMO.  Yes they all looked decent but let's wait until they've managed a few games before saying how good they are.

But again I stress this isn't the point.  The concern is that when other clubs (admittedly most of them have the TV money from last season that we didn't get) are spending good money  we're back to hunting for bargains who seem to be more for the squad than the first team (shown by the fact we only started two new players on Sunday and it would have been just one had Yedlin been fit).  We've shown before that we can find the odd gem for next to nowt, but ultimately it led to relegation.  I thought we would have learned from that but apparently not.

It's all a waiting game.

All buying teams can see the quality they're buying and many fans of those teams will be excited and optimistic that they will produce.

We know that the percentage of buys of quality will fail to produce anything like they promise, due to many reasons.

We are no exception to this but I'm optimistic that what we've bough are good enough to do a good enough job for us.

That's basically it.

As for buying gems and leading to relegation... again, it's down to how they are coached and how they fir into a system or area.

Few clubs learn and that includes those playing at the top. It goes tits up for them all in all kinds of ways.

We suffer relegations and such like, as do many clubs over the course of a decade and yet the money bags clubs suffer their own destructions and have to basically start again. man Utd being one of then under Ferguson.

Can't say I know much about this lad, his goal record is a bit naff but Rafa seems to rate him so thats a plus.

I was underwhelmed with Clark and Atsu as their prior records were also a bit naff, but both have proven canny so far. Of course there have been a few whiffs such as Lazaar but I'm trying to see the positives in this one. 

If Mitro gets his shooting boots on and Gayle can stay fit then to add someone who can provide useful backup is a prudent buy. What Everton has spent is fucking ridiculous compared to what they would have paid a season or two ago. I wonder if the market will settle down to a more reasonable level when they realise that spending huge amounts of money only serves to empty their pockets rather than creating any more success. 

Everton have recouped most of their outlay, so from one point of view it doesn't appear to look as bad as it should.

However, what they have done is made a rod for their own back in terms of a massive hike up of a wage bill, with Rooney sitting right at the top of that pyramid.

I don't think our forwards are the issue this season, I'd prefer better of course but yesterday there just seemed to be so little service or support from midfield that we could have had anyone up there and it would have made no difference.

We need a better operator than Perez(who has gone nowhere but backwards since he arrived) in the number 10 role and more quality in those two base of the midfield positions than we saw yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

Aye the 3 in the middle (Hayden, Merino and Perez) were pretty much useless. Not one had any impact on the game at all and Huddersfield pretty much bullied them.

Merino read the play well but his passing was atrocious. Hayden was without glamour in the championship, in the PL so far he gets a participation award just to keep his mam quiet. Perez is never a #10 though the weight on the ball for Ritchie's shot was just right. We need some true quality in midfielf to lift the likes of Ritchie, Atsu, Murphy and Merino. Shelvey too l suppose, but that moron is in my bad books currently.

If it was last year in the championship and we'd been playing them away without Shelvey, you'd have expected defeat. Speaks volumes about the lack of investment that that hasn't changed.

I only saw the last 5mins yesterday.  But from what they were saying on the wireless he didnt do too bad yesterday, it was the lack of service.

I said all last season, Perez is too lightweight and shit.  He needs getting shot of.

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I said all last season, Perez is too lightweight and shit.  He needs getting shot of.

What does he actually do anymore? Should've sold him to Barcelona