Joselu

ewerk

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I don't think our forwards are the issue this season, I'd prefer better of course but yesterday there just seemed to be so little service or support from midfield that we could have had anyone up there and it would have made no difference.

We need a better operator than Perez(who has gone nowhere but backwards since he arrived) in the number 10 role and more quality in those two base of the midfield positions than we saw yesterday. 

Totally agree, without Shelvey we've little or no creativity or control. I'd hoped that Merino was going to reveal himself to be Alonso, but he may be closer to Acuna. :lol: Not writing him off mind, but he's not looking like the string-puller we need.

Praet may be in that mould, I've no idea. But a proper #10 would be a huge weight off Shelvey (or whomever's) shoulders and Perez is not that kind of player. He doesn't bring players in, he might work as a forward, but not a #10.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He’s obviously not the best but he offers a target at least and works hard. I think he’d benefit from someone with a bit more energy playing off him, like Gayle, instead of Perez. 

That said, they both could/should have scored yesterday. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

He's worth having as a squad player but he will be lucky if he hits 7 goals this season. If we could ensure a goal or two from somewhere most games we would pick up points as we are defending as a team well as I can remember. When the team is as toothless up front as we are though 1 defensive lapse in 90mins costs you the 3 points. It's frustrating when you consider how much we've spent on Rivière, Mitro, Joselu etc. 

I don't think he offers a great deal more than Mitro - whose main features last season seemed to be holding the ball up and bullying defenders. So would be keen to see him get a run in the team.

TBH, Joselu looks like chipping in less than Peter Lovenkrands, Antoine Sibierski or Leon Best did up top for us in the Prem.

21 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

He’s obviously not the best but he offers a target at least and works hard. I think he’d benefit from someone with a bit more energy playing off him, like Gayle, instead of Perez. 

That said, they both could/should have scored yesterday. 

This working hard thing is great but there HAS to be a maximum shiteness qualifier that precludes people from getting in the team on the basis of 'hard work'. The fact we dont have it shows the state of the attacking talent in the squad. Perez another one that highlights this.

Fact many fans are okay with these two starting speaks volumes of the trust in Rafa and the system he's got going to manage with this squad. 

When you look at him individually, he'd be in the absolute bottom bracket of premier league strikers. Quite clear why he couldnt get into the team for freaking Stoke City.

Players have come back from worse form than Joselu is in now (Perch springs to mind). His contributions dictate that he absolutely must be dropped for a spell. It would be good to have more options than Mitrovic and Gayle to replace him, but that's our current reality. Many would like to see Mitrovic given a run in the first team to be able to make their minds up conclusively on him, now is the best oportunity to do that with as little risk as possible. However given that he didn't get a run in the championship under Rafa it's unlikely that he'll get one here, on the surface if he does it would be due to a lack of options alone, rather than a change of heart from Rafa.

• 2 months later...
On 06/11/2017 at 23:49, OTF said:

Players have come back from worse form than Joselu is in now (Perch springs to mind). His contributions dictate that he absolutely must be dropped for a spell. It would be good to have more options than Mitrovic and Gayle to replace him, but that's our current reality. Many would like to see Mitrovic given a run in the first team to be able to make their minds up conclusively on him, now is the best oportunity to do that with as little risk as possible. However given that he didn't get a run in the championship under Rafa it's unlikely that he'll get one here, on the surface if he does it would be due to a lack of options alone, rather than a change of heart from Rafa.

This was posted in November, it's fucking February and he's got gradually worse since then yet fucking Rafa still plays him, the same Rafa who has managed some of the best players in the world. What on earth can Rafa see that nobody else can't? It's truly baffling.

Lack of other options?...they're all average, he's tried everything formation and personnel wise and nothing has really clicked at home. He's not tried Mitro, but that's a trust issue. Thing is, we've got to trust Rafa on that one, we can't just throw the toys out because we've dropped points at home again. In the end, its Ashley who wouldn't put more than 5million for a "premier league class" striker. Joselu was a Stoke reserve. That's the level of our recruitment. Shearer missed a penalty v the mackems at the Gallowgate end too. So let's all just fuckin chill :cuppa: 

• Like 2