LGBT fans

Gene_Clark

7 hours ago, OTF said:

Good to see you taking on the big issues in classic Noelie fashion. The merry merry king of our bush down under once had a gay life but times change and words are reappropriated routinely.

There's no reason not to have this group I say, so if it makes any supporters of the club feel more comfortable then I'm right behind it (because I'm a pitcher not a catcher).

Will it make any supporters of the club any more comfortable at all? What difference does it make?

Sorry to say this is the most ridiculous thing I have read in ages. Considering the likes of Wolfy and the far left-wing garbage that is espoused, a new low has emerged.

5 minutes ago, Ken said:

Will it make any supporters of the club any more comfortable at all? What difference does it make?

Sorry to say this is the most ridiculous thing I have read in ages. Considering the likes of Wolfy and the far left-wing garbage that is espoused, a new low has emerged.

What's ridiculous about it though?  It's a statement of intent and would be a good sign from the club, and certainly can only be good? What's your issue?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

What's ridiculous about it though?  It's a statement of intent and would be a good sign from the club, and certainly can only be good? What's your issue?

If the LGBT community in Newcastle want to create a supporters group then fair play. But creating one for the sake of it funded by the club is social engineering and political correctness.

6 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I've literally never heard any old folks use the term gay in that context

Classic Tory straw man argument

Literally speaking it depends on how young you are, and who you construe as 'old folks'

Nat King Cole had a hit song called "Somewhere Along the Way"

'I used to walk with you, along the Avenue, our hearts were carefree and gay.

How could I know I'd lose you, somewhere along the way'.

2 hours ago, Noelie said:

Nat King Cole had a hit song called "Somewhere Along the Way"

'I used to walk with you, along the Avenue, our hearts were carefree and gay.

How could I know I'd lose you, somewhere along the way'.

That reputation for promiscuity doesn't come from nowhere. I'd say it's his own fault for being naive.

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I've literally never heard any old folks use the term gay in that context

Classic Tory straw man argument

Dude, have you not seen any classic black & white movie? Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, The Birds, Psycho, North By Northwest, just to name a few.  And I'm not even sure some of those movies had the word "gay" in it to mean fun, lighthearted and carefree.  But those "old folks" most certainly used that term in that context.

55 minutes ago, LooneyToony said:

Oh, I just remembered. 

In before someone realizes that Gone With The Wind and North By Northwest were filmed in color print. :razz:

But you get the point! <_<

Actually LT to be pedantic, they weren't actually filmed (film is a medium/format) they were "shot" and it wouldn't have been in colour print, it was "shot" in colour negative from which the print is eventually generated and distributed.

11 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Actually LT to be pedantic, they weren't actually filmed (film is a medium/format) they were "shot" and it wouldn't have been in colour print, it was "shot" in colour negative from which the print is eventually generated and distributed.

Yes. What Sammy said.

Was canny depressing to recently hear Gareth Thomas talking about how football is still in the Dark Ages when it comes to tackling homophobia. Anything which attempts to address that in some way can only be a good thing I reckon.

• Like 1

Well the authorities now have a chance to punish Leicester for homophobic chanting. No doubt they'll receive a small fine and a warning about their future behaviour.

Edited by ewerk

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye. Which is why players won't come out. Can't blame them really but it might take someone brave enough to do it for things to change.

That was perhaps the biggest thing I got from that bbc gareth Thomas documentary, surely there is social obligation for a footballer to come out now? Perhaps I am being unfair but it almost makes me angry, perhaps all footballers no matter their sexual orientation are just selfish pricks!

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye. Which is why players won't come out. Can't blame them really but it might take someone brave enough to do it for things to change.

I'd say it'd be a lot easier if a small group stands up together and says "we're LGBTQ" and a large section of the ground stands up and says "we're with you".

13 minutes ago, zico martin said:

That was perhaps the biggest thing I got from that bbc gareth Thomas documentary, surely there is social obligation for a footballer to come out now? Perhaps I am being unfair but it almost makes me angry, perhaps all footballers no matter their sexual orientation are just selfish pricks!

I can understand your frustration but I don't think you can expect people to be heroes if that's just not who they are.

On 19/08/2017 at 6:13 PM, LooneyToony said:

Dude, have you not seen any classic black & white movie? Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, The Birds, Psycho, North By Northwest, just to name a few.  And I'm not even sure some of those movies had the word "gay" in it to mean fun, lighthearted and carefree.  But those "old folks" most certainly used that term in that context.

Aye there's loads of ex dock workers and pit yackers from the North East who go to the match and speak like Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart

On 19/08/2017 at 2:32 PM, Anorthernsoul said:

A fan is a fan regardless of what orrifice they like to stick their tongue in.

And if you stick it in multiple orifices, you're  a super fan