Benitez Signings

The Fish

Given how the Clark signing turned out, I'm going to hold off on judging Josulu and particularly Manquillo until we see what Rafa does with them.

26 minutes ago, adios said:

Finding myself agreeing with @The Fish a bit too much this morning. <_<

Reveal hidden contents

MITROVIC IS A BAG OF SHITE

Better.

Scored last night. ;)

25 minutes ago, The Fish said:

With every single transfer there's a gamble. Those two players were bought for the Championship, Hanley was 25 and could have proven a stalwart, Diame had shown glimpses of quality in previous campaigns. Few had high hopes for Clark and yet now he's spoken of as our 2nd choice CB behind Lejeune, same could have been true for Hanley. Diame could have proven the goal scoring midfielder he'd shown glimpses of and may have been an alternate to Shelvey.

It makes no sense to offer them 1 year deals, especially when, at the beginning of the campaign we weren't guaranteed promotion. Also, those players' agents would not have accepted deals where the power lay so heavily in the clubs favour. Also, the contractual negotiations would not have been Benitez task, that's the job of Charnley and Barnes.

It makes sense if you take the broader view into account and don't look at things through an outdated, narrow lens.

I didn't imply it would make sense giving those players one year deals.

You implied that Rafa bought them as championship fodder. I simply argued as to why they would get the contracts they did if that was the case.

Now you're saying that Hanley COULD have turned out ok and Diame COULD have proven to be the goalscoring midfielder in the prem,a s well as being an alternative to Shelvey.

Rafa Bought players for two reasons, I believe.

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Scored last night. ;)

And looked like an absolute fucking carthorse. But I suppose that's normal, apart from his scoring.

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

Sels

Gamez

Yedlin

Clark

Hanley

Lejeune

Lazaar

Manquillo

Diame

Hayden

Merino

Ritchie

Atsu

J.Murphy

Gayle

D.Murphy

Joselu

Bad/Not VfM 3

Average 3

Good/VfM 6

Jury's Out 5

Think that's a pretty good strike rate thus far, but if his latest signings don't pan out it could go the other way very quickly.

Shut up fish 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Aye. 

I mean, if that's him when he's got a chance to impress and scores after about 3 mins, ffs. The last time I saw him play he was exactly the same (Bristol City last season). I don't see what he offers and I thought he did ok in his first season in the Premier League, all things considered, so it's not like I've had him written off from the the start.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

And looked like an absolute fucking carthorse. But I suppose that's normal, apart from his scoring.

Well there's rumours he's off to Cagliari, so if that happens all the critics* can breath a sigh of relief I suppose.

I still think there's a decent player in there, but I literally cannot be arsed arguing the toss with people any more. They've made up their minds and given Rafa doesn't seem to rate him I can't imagine he'll get an opportunity with the first team to prove them wrong. At best he'll get chances in cup games with 2nd, 3rd or 4th string players around him, or he'll play the final 15 minutes of games.

I still maintain the criticism of him is way over the top, as is some of the praise. He's a polarising figure and no mistake.

*not saying they're 100% wrong, just that it's a moot point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfy said:

I didn't imply it would make sense giving those players one year deals.

You implied that Rafa bought them as championship fodder. I simply argued as to why they would get the contracts they did if that was the case.

Now you're saying that Hanley COULD have turned out ok and Diame COULD have proven to be the goalscoring midfielder in the prem,a s well as being an alternative to Shelvey.

Rafa Bought players for two reasons, I believe.

Rafa identified targets to build a squad to get promoted automatically at the first time of asking. The contract negotiations are Charnley and Barnes' remit.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Well there's rumours he's off to Cagliari, so if that happens all the critics* can breath a sigh of relief I suppose.

I still think there's a decent player in there, but I literally cannot be arsed arguing the toss with people any more. They've made up their minds and given Rafa doesn't seem to rate him I can't imagine he'll get an opportunity with the first team to prove them wrong. At best he'll get chances in cup games with 2nd, 3rd or 4th string players around him, or he'll play the final 15 minutes of games.

I still maintain the criticism of him is way over the top, as is some of the praise. He's a polarising figure and no mistake.

*not saying they're 100% wrong, just that it's a moot point. 

He's a polarising player between you and everyone else who's seen him play. :razz: 

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I mean, if that's him when he's got a chance to impress and scores after about 3 mins, ffs. The last time I saw him play he was exactly the same (Bristol City last season). I don't see what he offers and I thought he did ok in his first season in the Premier League, all things considered, so it's not like I've had him written off from the the start.

I'm very similar to this statement, tbh. Honestly, an old workmate described him as 'Son of Whitehurst' which was a bit unfair as Mitro is a better finisher than Billy was but is soft as fucking clarts in comparison. Both equally as mobile.

Good kid is Mitro. Bit of a daft lad but so fucking what. Doesn't put in half-arsed performances and is a victim of high expectations. 22 year old still and, 28 caps and even when he's been out of the side has just got on with it. Can't be any worse than Gayle has been in our opening two games either.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Good kid is Mitro. Bit of a daft lad but so fucking what. Doesn't put in half-arsed performances and is a victim of high expectations. 22 year old still and, 28 caps and even when he's been out of the side has just got on with it. Can't be any worse than Gayle has been in our opening two games either.

Looked canny half arsed to me. Tbf he was more blowing out his arse than being half arsed but it adds up the same when it comes to him. He wasn't the worst last night so it's not as though I'm picking him out for special treatment.

It is easy to forget his age. The fee we paid for him has undoubtedly raised his expectations. If we'd spent £1m on him then people would've been much more hopeful regarding him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Fish said:

Rafa identified targets to build a squad to get promoted automatically at the first time of asking. The contract negotiations are Charnley and Barnes' remit.

Let's put it plainly.

Rafa is absolutely not immune to being called out for his issues just as Ashley and Charnley and co, aren't.

It's fine to say it wasn't Rafa that gave the 5 year deals and what not but the point is, he was a major part in sanctioning all of his deals, which, like it or not, will have been contractual negotiations.

Rafa has a lot more input than most managers we've had and especially under Ashley. It's one of the reasons he stayed, apparently.

The point still stands that Hanley and a good few others he bought were for two reasons, it appears to me.

One is the obvious championship experience and quality and the other is the hope that it can be carried on into the premier league to give us a first season kick start in terms of improving to cater for the change, as first team in some cases but squad back up in many, with the already earmarked deadwood/surplus already penned off well before, in the likes of those who we went down with and who are hardest to shift.

Rafa is taking his share of the praise and also the digs. 

He either gets on with it and sets about putting the squad to work in his image, without whining. And he can quickly start to get his squad mentality into confident mode by cutting out the negative vibes and also the negative on field tactics.

Or, he can piss off now before he wrecks the mood of the camp and the minds of the fans.

He's got the potential to do a very good job for us but I do not want him if his mind is on seeing out half a season and calling it a day.

Basically speaking, I'm saying that he needs to get focused and do what he's paid handsomely for.