Gayle

Kid Dynamite

As long as whatever funds his departure raises is reinvested in the squad, I'm ok with him leaving.

I know he scored loads last year and he works hard on the pitch and all that, but I never really took to him. 

Jovetic has signed for Monaco so we wouldn't be replacing Gayle with him.

I'm surprised so many people are willing to write Gayle off after a bad performance against Huddersfield (against Spurs the ball rarely got near him so I don't really see how he could be criticised against them).  He didn't look that great in his first couple of games last season either.  It can't be ignored that we looked better with Joselu though.  He's bigger so he can get a hold of more of the long balls that we play (although he's not particularly strong so he can be muscled out of it despite winning the first ball) and he's more mobile than Mitro so he does feel like a better fit to lead the line (early days of course).

Even if we sold Gayle for £20m though I'm not sure what we'd get on the back of it.  Leicester seem to be wanting about £30m for Slimani and I'm not sure he'd improve us much either.

Aye, that's another important point, i.e. £20m (despite making a healthy profit) gets you absolutely fuck all in terms of striking talent in the current market.

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, that's another important point, i.e. £20m (despite making a healthy profit) gets you absolutely fuck all in terms of striking talent in the current market.

It seems it would get you a championship striker.

Arnautović, Chicharito, Iheanacho and Gray are all forwards who have gone for that sort of money.

Hernandez aside, it would be debatable to say that any of the others would be a massive upgrade on Gayle. Could it be that the club are worried about his injury record?

Cashing in on an injury prone player while his stock is still reasonably high and the market is inflated is all well and good if there's a replacement lined up, which of course there won't be. Unless it's Joselu and we are going to go into the season with two CFs, three if you count Perez, which I don't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Best case scenario is that we have £10m for a new striker and this extra £20m takes us into the £30m bracket.

Yep. The only thing that makes me wonder is the reticence to break our transfer record.