What would you do in Rafa's position

trooper

It's now been a couple of days since the deadline day fiasco. Most of us didn't expect a lot but we did expect something. Just wondering if you were in Rafa's position what would you do ? He's had 2 windows now were he's been undermined. His relationship with Ashley is non existant, he has Barnes blocking everything he wanted regarding 1st choice players he now has a squad of players some of them he needed to buy but didn't want to. Some reports are now coming out saying funds will be available in January (i know). What would you do ? just get on with it things might get better. Take the first reasonable offer that comes your way. Or walk away & take your chance at a tribunal citing the job as unworkable due to constraints with the budget (it wasn't what you were promised) Myself i'd take the 1st resonable offer & get out of dodge but what would you do ?

I'd imagine the traing ground being a barrel of laughs on monday. With players still here knowing they would have been sold had the right deal been offered. Others knowing they've been bought because they had to be not really 1st or 2nd choice, Colback unwilling to move. Ashley taking the mick with the bonus scheme. Then there's Rafa undermined & hung out to dry i know Rafa will do his best but i'd imagine the mood not being very happy

38 minutes ago, trooper said:

I'd imagine the traing ground being a barrel of laughs on monday. With players still here knowing they would have been sold had the right deal been offered. Others knowing they've been bought because they had to be not really 1st or 2nd choice, Colback unwilling to move. Ashley taking the mick with the bonus scheme. Then there's Rafa undermined & hung out to dry i know Rafa will do his best but i'd imagine the mood not being very happy

We should send you round to cheer everyone up, troops 

If I was Rafa I would bite the bullet and do the best I could with what I've got.

Come January, if I didn't get the funds I needed, and the players I wanted, I would announce that I was available to manage any club that was prepared to finance a move that would take care of any problems with my departure in regard to contracts. If Ashley fired me I would take him to court.

I think he's in a no lose situation if he keeps us up with this squad, he'll be even more respected 

If we go down he wont be entirely blamed as he was lied to over money to spend.

So knuckle down and get on with it is what i'd do if i was Rafa. 

12 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

I think he's in a no lose situation if he keeps us up with this squad, he'll be even more respected 

If we go down he wont be entirely blamed as he was lied to over money to spend.

So knuckle down and get on with it is what i'd do if i was Rafa. 

Aye, successfully keeping a team in the PL is exactly the sort of achievement I'm sure he's aiming for.

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Challenge Ashley to a charity boxing match, then punch him all owa. 

Ashley will decline because it's for charity.   I'm sure there are many charitable people out there that'll give you money to just walk up to him and knock him silly. :drinks:

If Rafa feels that the club have went against his wishes or not allowed him to buy in what he believes is required, then the club will have went against his contractual stipulations.

I assume he will have made absolutely sure what was on offer for him considering how long it took for him to go over it all before agreeing to stay on after relegation.

He now has some easy choices to make.

1. He can walk away right now with his head held high and with most fans' blessing in not blaming him.

2. He can get on with the task ahead and see where it takes him.

If he chooses the second option then he will have no scope to just walk away after so long and expect to be thought of as anything other than a weakling.

This might sound harsh on him but it would be more harsh on us and the team, because the team is virtually his.

It doesn't matter what Ashley and Charnley etc, might be, it only matters that we have some kind of decision as to where we go from this exact point and with what manager and staff.

Hopefully it will be Rafa and co, because if it is and he does something beyond what we all expect, then he can quickly become a legend here and also enhance his managerial reputation in terms of being able to work on a much smaller budget than those managers of the elite clubs who have almost blank cheques and cheating minds.