Call of Duty WW2

Tom

26 minutes ago, adios said:

Does anyone really care about historical accuracy sitting in front of their Playstation?

Yeh. I'd like to play very historically accurate WWI/WWII games, that's why I'm playing WW games instead of some mad futuristic shit.

Well yeah, you want it to feel like WWI/II as opposed to the 'thin end of the wedge' stuff @Rayvin said, but are a few female avatars and a lack of a Nazi insignia changing anything?

I'm all for cotton-candy guns though tbf.

The 'thin end of the wedge' argument does seem increasingly relevant.  I did find myself reading a thread the other day and actually thought "fucking snowflakes".  Don't worry, it wasn't on this site. ;) 

3 minutes ago, adios said:

Well yeah, you want it to feel like WWI/II as opposed to the 'thin end of the wedge' stuff @Rayvin said, but are a few female avatars and a lack of a Nazi insignia changing anything?

The 'thin end of the wedge' argument does seem increasingly relevant.  I did find myself reading a thread the other day and actually thought "fucking snowflakes".  Don't worry, it wasn't on this site. ;) 

I feel the need to make more of a point about this issue being on both sides now. It's not just the SJWs with their will intentioned but highly disruptive nonsense. The entire discourse is dominated by snowflakes.

Video games were the line that should never have been crossed IMO. Tempted to argue we'd have averted Trump otherwise...

27 minutes ago, adios said:

I feel like when any other demographic demands "authenticity" it's respected. I.e "we want an Asian man playing this role because he was asain in the comic book".

Now I wouldn't say the two things are equal but at the same time I feel like I don't have an argument in any direction that I can realistically win. 

I definitely found the female avatars and more importantly - the battle cries, irritating as owt and it did detract from my enjoyment of the game.

Now this is without critical thought or analysis, this is a person playing a game to chill & in a sense immerse i suppose. 

Of course their were women involved in WWII, it was a fucking world war. In story mode you even play as a woman for a significant part of the game. 

However I can't contradict my gut instinct that I didn't enjoy it as much and it annoyed me. Meh.

• 2 months later...

My brother bought me this game for my birthday. It's utterly class.

The first level is really exciting for about 5 minutes before a solid ten minutes of harrowing, genuinely disturbing death.

The online mode is class too, I've even been given a headset like a proper geek :lol: 

The desperation to include women in this game is pretty cringeworthy mind :lol:

They have to decide whether they want to make an accurate WW game or pander to gender politics.

I suppose campaign mode is campaign mode but whilst they went for a realistic Normandy landing it got a bit daft after that.

I just don't think WW2 games need Wonder Woman characters.

I mean im sure a petite French girl really did take in an entire German garrison killing a rapist on the way, whislt blokes/lasses in civilian gear fought as good as properly equipped soldiers or better.....

I must have took patriarchy history lessons or something.

Not sure it really matters like.

I mean, if you wanted an accurate WWII game you'd spend much of the game dug in, holding a position, while waiting for orders, or resupply. You'd be sent to your death during ill-conceived battles by chinless idiots. You'd have one or two types of weapon and you wouldn't have a clue how to drive a tank, or whatever.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I mean, if you wanted an accurate WWII game you'd spend much of the game dug in, holding a position, while waiting for orders, or resupply. You'd be sent to your death during ill-conceived battles by chinless idiots. You'd have one or two types of weapon and you wouldn't have a clue how to drive a tank, or whatever.

Course it doesn't matter. It's pointless, brainless pandering, but it doesn't actually matter :lol:

Genuinely think this sort of thing comes down to what you play the game for - if you play it for the 'game' then fair enough. Do whatever. If you play it for immersion and an experience, then this sort of thing is jarring. IMO of course.

I suppose you could argue that being able to shoot women in the head on games like this is some kind of fucked up step forward for gender equality though, in our continuing race to the bottom.

If fairness it it was well done I might not have cringed so hard but it wasn't. It's very well playing the reductio ad absurdum card but if I've paid* £60 for a game or whatever I've got the right to judge it, thank you vm.

It felt as if on one side the going they were staying true to history & on the other they were rewriting it to pander to twisting youtubers etc etc. Same people that called battlefield 1 sexist ffs :lol: 

*it was a birthday gift that saved me £60 tbh

Its such a stupid thing to focus on, lets spend time and money on pretending that history was more gender balanced than it was rather than the horrific, brutal mess that the likes of WW2 were that we hope to never repeat.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Its such a stupid thing to focus on, lets spend time and money on pretending that history was more gender balanced than it was rather than the horrific, brutal mess that the likes of WW2 were that we hope to never repeat.

The point, surely, is to strike a balance between some kind of historical accuracy without exhibiting some of the bigotry/misogyny/small mindedness we're trying to leave behind?

e.g. Godless depicts homosexual relationships, interracial romance, eloquence, and mutual respect between races and genders. Hardly accurate, but entertaining nonetheless.

If COD WWII was more accurate there'd be homophobia, racism and misogyny aots, things that young gamers would surely reflect in the real world. Not blatantly, obvs, but it would influence them.

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

Holds about as much water as - if you want to play with toy guns you might as well just go and bomb Dresden.

I personally don't give a shite, like you, and think anyone who does is taking life a little too seriously, but that reasoning is...not solid.

I'd rather people were inclusive of the snowflakes rather than being snowflakes themselves but here we are.  I'm also starting to warm to Peterson's  ideas about the extreme left too though, so I'm basically a Nazi at this point anyway.

6 minutes ago, adios said:

I'm also starting to warm to Peterson's  ideas about the extreme left too though, so I'm basically a Nazi at this point anyway.

His views on psychology generally are the most interesting things he talks about IMO. But yeah, welcome to the reich.

Aye, he's defo very smart and well educated on that and stuff like Biblical mythology but goes a bit...odd about the transgender agenda etc.

• 3 weeks later...

My lass got me this for Xbox for Christmas. I’ve only just started the campaign and I’m enjoying it, played 4 TDM games online and I am laughably shite. Got like 2 kills in the first 2 games, then switched class and got about evens scores. 

Dont have a headset so I can only imagine what all the others are calling me.