Swansea vs Newcastle

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fantastic result against a Swansea team that we supposedly had little hope of getting much from.

All the hype about their newbies and we managed them quite well.

Not  a bad game to watch given the weather and the greasy pitch.

A brilliant effort from the entire team and bodes well for the up and coming fixtures as we gel more and more.

Lascelles was a deserved man of the match but there were a few out there that ran him close. However, he done the business at both ends, so top man Lascelles.

A massive 3 points and each game like this makes it more easier to get to the first major points target and then hopefully kick on.

Early days yet but a lot to feel good about.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

If there's a proper player in Merino he's not hiding him very well. 

:D

Perez sums up the lack of options we have in attacking midfield. He's been rubbish but I agree with those saying its not really Ritchie's position. Diame is worse than Perez. Shelvey and Merino's strengths would be lost to a great extent playing in the no. 10 role. 

11 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

No, that's the sort of daftness that held Englands so called "golden generation" back, picking the 11 best players in the country with no thought of balance, square pegs in round holes. The likes of Thierry Henri and Gareth Bale started wide but ffs Ritchie is a long way off that level. Not denying it's a problem who to play with the central striker, but this isn't the solution for me either in the short or long term.  Diame should start v Stoke instead of the frankly anonymous Perez. Failing that put Shelvey in there, it's a more natural position for him than Ritchie iyam. 

Diame proved fairly comprehensively last season that he can't play at number 10. Looks much better running from deeper positions. Even then he's been mostly shit tbh.

Ritchie looks to me very capable of playing that role. He has the passing ability and trickery to succeed there plus he has tenacity and work rate. It's a bit unfair comparing that to Sven shunting scholes out wide to accommodate Lampard and Gerard, who proved time and again that they weren't suited to playing together centrally.

We don't know unless we try. We have the likes  of arrons, Murphy and atsu to pick from out wide. Perez at 10 is a waste of a shirt on what we've seen so far this season. 

Shelvey could be worth a punt there. But I think the deeper playmaker role might sit him better.  He looks happy to sit deep and spray Hollywood balls around. Is he the sort to be running at players, trying to beat a man and playing through balls into the striker? Don't know but had to be worth a punt given what Perez has been offering 

It would be great if Lascelles could become a consistent performer as he's (in theory at least) just the sort of big powerful, commanding centre-half (with leadership qualities thrown-in) that we've been crying out for for years. Until we sell him anyway.

That was a brilliant performance from a group of players (copyright Chris Hughton) that had me purring. 100% down to having a manager like Benitez who drills them to fuck and has hungry players who all fight for each other. It's amazing where a bit hunger gets you and we've all seen the flip side. I must've been watching a different player to acrossthepond if he thinks Merino us average as he was shaky v Huddersfield but the best player on the pitch v West Ham and almost as good again today. This is how we need to play to prosper and if Rafa stays and we don't get any freak injuries we should be ok. :good:

8 minutes ago, LooneyToony said:

Didn't you say in your last podcast that you're into leather?  The type with spikes and stuff?  Or was I listening to a different podcast? :face_batman:  :lol:

Fish, you should know, the Tories are banning that kind of thing. You're going to end up with listeners needing to enter credit card details to hear it at this rate.

all the more frustrating that we didn't sign more players. rafa has us wel organised and difficult to beat. i've seen enough to think we'll be alright this season, but we might have kicked on into the top half with more investment. 

been pleasantly surprised with joselu so far. seems well suited to the lone striker role 

20 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

Fantastic save. Seeing some great leaps and headers from Joselu.

Shocking dive from - imo - a nothing player in Merino. I've seen nothing about him to convince me. He looks about the same as Sanches. No impact on the game. 

Haven't read any further into the thread because this tale knocked me out. He's a great footballer and showed it by running rings around the best playa in the world Eva, Sanches 

Great result yesterday.  Can't imagine "Super Sunday" was particularly entertaining for the neutral but I'll happily take it.

The whole back four deserves a lot of credit especially when you consider how much they're getting changed every game it seems.  Manquillo has looked miles better than I expected him to.

We need to change Perez though, it's just not working.  Whilst I agree with the point PL is making about square pegs, I wouldn't be averse to seeing Ritchie or possibly even Murphy a try there.  It might work no better but we have very little to lose.  The same could be said with having a go with two strikers.  I think I would go with Shelvey playing in front of Hayden and Mernio, at least in away games.  It does run the risk of the striker (probably Joselu given how he's looked so far) getting isolated if the two wingers can't support him as I don't really think Shelvey could do that.  But is should give us a better chance of dominating the midfield and allow Shelvey to be further up the field and slide through chance creating passes.

A midfield 3 of shelvey, merino and Hayden would work really nicely in theory, it should have a good balance if we dropped the number 10 idea.

Not sure the change in shape would suit us well now though considering we've started getting points with the 4231 

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

A midfield 3 of shelvey, merino and Hayden would work really nicely in theory, it should have a good balance if we dropped the number 10 idea.

Not sure the change in shape would suit us well now though considering we've started getting points with the 4231 

I  don't see any reason why this can't work especially away from St. James' Park. Put Hayden the deeper of the three.

3 minutes ago, LooneyToony said:

I  don't see any reason why this can't work especially away from St. James' Park. Put Hayden the deeper of the three.

drilling positions innit.

We've been on that 4231 so consistently exactly for that reason