Football Manager 2018

The Fish

Got one of the most mediocre takeovers ever when Jeremy Peace bought the club.

Into the 22/23 season now (just had the mid-season world cup) and my Newcastle side are basically unstoppable.

Lascelles was the last holdout of the original team to stay in the main lineup but hes gone to chelsea now, Shelvey and Longstaff still rotate into central midfield when I need them.

Almiron would still be in there but Chelsea bought him for loads as well so off he went.

Won the league twice in a row now, won the CL last season and the europa league the season before, both domestic cups a couple of times each, its too easy.

• 8 months later...

Well, FM20 is out and isn't very good. 

I mean, it's still FM and all that but the match engine this year, whatever they've changed, is awful. 

1 on 1s are not chances to score, neither are penalties. Wingers don't cross, they either shoot from insane angles into the side netting or do nothing when they get to a position, literally just standing there til they get tackled. 

On my save the "club vision" has bugged somehow making it largely impossible to hold onto my job as the board want me to finish in two different league positions.

If you've not bought it yet I'd wait for a few patches before taking the plunge. 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Well, FM20 is out and isn't very good. 

I mean, it's still FM and all that but the match engine this year, whatever they've changed, is awful. 

1 on 1s are not chances to score, neither are penalties. Wingers don't cross, they either shoot from insane angles into the side netting or do nothing when they get to a position, literally just standing there til they get tackled. 

On my save the "club vision" has bugged somehow making it largely impossible to hold onto my job as the board want me to finish in two different league positions.

If you've not bought it yet I'd wait for a few patches before taking the plunge. 

Huge bug bear for me at the minute.

Also, 3-4-2-1 is OP. I'm top of the league, only lost 1 game to Chelsea so far. Haven't signed any new defenders, Hayden is still my defensive shield and Dubravka still my 'keeper.

Lost in extra time of the carabao and it wouldn't let me give a psot-match team talk, much to the chagrin of my players who performed well.

Any chance you could post up that tactic? I'm struggling but it feels more like ME stuff than tactical.

The fact most games see me with 60% of the ball and taking 20-odd shots but every highlight involving some utterly mental decision making from players not passing when they should, shooting when they shouldn't or Dubravka losing his mind and gifting goals to the opposition is making this...mostly not fun for me so far, I think I'm playing out of spite.

Dunno if you can see the instructions there.

23 hours ago, Andrew said:

Any chance you could post up that tactic? I'm struggling but it feels more like ME stuff than tactical.

The fact most games see me with 60% of the ball and taking 20-odd shots but every highlight involving some utterly mental decision making from players not passing when they should, shooting when they shouldn't or Dubravka losing his mind and gifting goals to the opposition is making this...mostly not fun for me so far, I think I'm playing out of spite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'll probably pick it up at some point, we'd probably get taken over in the game fairly early on :razz:

Last years match engine being fairly shit and their response to that has killed my excitement for FM though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 23:16, Andrew said:

I'll probably pick it up at some point, we'd probably get taken over in the game fairly early on :razz:

Last years match engine being fairly shit and their response to that has killed my excitement for FM though.

Don't follow? What was their response?