Newcastle vs Stoke

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Couldnt catch the game but a very decent performance by all accounts. 4th :D

We'll have these little great runs while Rafa is here I suppose. How good is it to see us so well organized and drilled for a change :nufc:

It won't always be pretty but we'll be hard to beat and we won't often take a Pardew style drubbing. 

I wonder if the lack of investment has allowed him to forge a siege mentality with the players.

Another great 3 points. Could have been a whole lot easier if we'd taken our chances...especially Joselu but the main thing is we held on to claim the spoils from a much better Stoke team than we've played in the recent past.

Rob Elliot was outstanding and make some fantastic saves.

Ritchie is a revelation and a man of the match for me, today.

Lascelles showing why he's captain and finishing it all off with another headed goal. The King Salmon. :D

A very good team performance again.

This team has the potential to get stronger as time goes on, with players gelling more and more.

As long as the dressing room stays tight we should be looking to really kick on from here and get closer to that magical safety number sooner rather than later, hopefully.

Still early days yet but it's looking good so far.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It won't always be pretty but we'll be hard to beat and we won't often take a Pardew style drubbing. 

I wonder if the lack of investment has allowed him to forge a siege mentality with the players.

Something like that but also there seems to be a real battle for places with players desperate to be part of the team.

33 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Genuinely don't think we're that bad a team anyway. I was convinced last year that the team as it stood would be capable of avoiding relegation and we have actually strengthened. Merino as an alternative to Shelvey is not what I expected, that's a huge bonus. Colback isn't in the side.

The defence actually looks better than at any time I can remember.

Joselu isn't great but imagine if we did have that decent standard of striker. Has to be a priority for January.

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Genuinely don't think we're that bad a team anyway. I was convinced last year that the team as it stood would be capable of avoiding relegation and we have actually strengthened. Merino as an alternative to Shelvey is not what I expected, that's a huge bonus. Colback isn't in the side.

The defence actually looks better than at any time I can remember.

Joselu isn't great but imagine if we did have that decent standard of striker. Has to be a priority for January.

Trouble is it's a priority for most teams. 

And the one thing you'd say about Joselu so far which has been pleasing has been his all round game. He seems much better suited to the line striker role than Gayle, who'd benefit from a second striker to feed off. And although he misssd a hat trick of good chances yesterday, at least he is getting into goal scoring positions. 

Also nice that under Rafa when a team equalise you still think "we can beat these fuckers" whereas for too long we've been wondering how many the team'll lose by.

At the end of the day if you spend £5m on a striker don't complain too much when he's not banging the goals in, however simple. I think he'll start putting them away eventually mind, as mentioned earlier in the thread he was trying too hard. Perhaps he wanted it too much. 

Anyway it was a great all round performance and we should have had a hatful, Shaqiri was a tad fortunate for his goal - there was a deflection off a defender just as he hit it and it took it just out of Elliot's reach. Interesting nobody has mentioned it and I couldn't spot it myself - Heurelho Gomes pointed it out on Goals on Sunday. Goalkeepers Union. They also pointed out Lascelles goal shouldn't have counted because he put his hands on a defenders back, as if that doesn't happen all the time unpunished. Tossers. 

It's annoyed me that neither MOTD nor Sky pointed out the Atsu penalty incident. It was a stonewaller! A lot of people are saying he should have got his shot off earlier but so what? That's a penalty all day long. 

Sky/BBC can easily put aside ten minutes to try and get our players banned if need be, so why can't they cover our matches properly?

Oh well, it's turning out to be a canny start. Hard work, determination & organisation the key, who knew?

Rafa seems to have improved the level of performance of most of the players since the start f the season. Possibly teams coming at us more in this division is giving us more space to attack in too,but  the signs are most players are improved at least 10-15% on last season.   After what could be described as a "summer of discontent" that is frankly phenomenal. And am off to Brighton next Sunday, with Monday off :D 

Edited by PaddockLad

1 hour ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

9 points out of 12 from the teams that will be around us is a cracking start

What you on about? We haven't played either of the Manchester clubs yet

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

What you on about? We haven't played either of the Manchester clubs yet

Which explains why we're around them. When we beat them they'll start to fall away.

On 16/09/2017 at 2:07 PM, adios said:

Odd that Rafa trusts Mbemba over Manquillo on the left.

Thought he might have been picked ahead of Gamez/Manquillo because of his height and experience in the Premier League? I thought Stoke looked like they were targeting the left back position with their attacks, maybe? 

10 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

What this recent run has proven is that the league is bang average and an organised, well drilled side that is working their bollocks off is enough to see off a lot of teams, especially at home

Aye, that should be enough to deal with most of the league and will only really come unstuck against the top sides, but we would have struggled against them anyway. 

You think our young team will struggle where more experienced heads might deal with pressure better? I mean, Lascelles seems a good captain and players like Hayden and Clark seem to have their heads screwed on right, but could their youthful exuberance see us come undone in the future?