Psychology

Rayvin

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What if what you enjoy doing comes with external disapproval, thus instilling guilt and feelings of inadequacy?

You enjoy cracking one out in public too?

I'd love to live my live just doing what I enjoy. But last time I checked you can't make much of a living getting mullered, watching football, reading, hoverboard riding and talking shit. 

You need a disposable income to finance the things we really enjoy doing in life. Very few people end up doing a job they love, and which makes a living.

i have a musician/artist friend who never sought conventional employment. I used to admire and envy him for having the balls to have a go at chasing his dream. But in hindsight, I think I probably made the right decision. 

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Having said that, I haven't found the answer to 'what makes life worth living' if it isn't 'just keep succeeding'. So what the fuck do I know :lol: 

Being yourself and doing the things you want to do and also knowing that what you do, people rely on in whatever way that may be.

Always set yourself a goal, not goals.

Achieve your goal and set yourself another..and so on.

Never set your goal so high that you find it hard to achieve, because not only does it up your stress levels and give you a feeling of failure, it also leaves your without real scope to set the next.

One step at a time starting at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I'd love to live my live just doing what I enjoy. But last time I checked you can't make much of a living getting mullered, watching football, reading, hoverboard riding and talking shit. 

You need a disposable income to finance the things we really enjoy doing in life. Very few people end up doing a job they love, and which makes a living.

i have a musician/artist friend who never sought conventional employment. I used to admire and envy him for having the balls to have a go at chasing his dream. But in hindsight, I think I probably made the right decision. 

That's a flaws analogy because there are plenty of piss takers/artists/musicians who are making a living doing what they love.

2 minutes ago, wolfy said:

Being yourself and doing the things you want to do and also knowing that what you do, people rely on in whatever way that may be.

Never set your goal so high that you find it hard to achieve, because not only does it up your stress levels and give you a feeling of failure, it also leaves your without real scope to set the next.

wolfy the life coach, who'd a thunk it? 

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

That's actually an encouraging thing to read, that last bit. Although having said that, is he happy?

6 minutes ago, wolfy said:

Decent post.

Just now, Park Life said:

A lot of them are already loaded.

right so those lucky enough to call on the bank of mum and dad can afford to do what they enjoy with their lives.

for the rest of the population, it's another matter

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

right so those lucky enough to call on the bank of mum and dad can afford to do what they enjoy with their lives.

for the rest of the population, it's another matter

Nobody really wants to do a normal job. As you say it's a necessity if you want a lifestyle. Most creative types never make it but that isn't really why they do it.

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, not through their art though

It gives them time and connections. A lot of the luvy world in London is about having the time (not having to work) and having connections. It's why actors, musicians and artist are predominantly middle or upper middle class these days. They have the base to build from. Often the talent is secondary anyway. A lot of it is branding and marketing if you can buy that you're half way there. If you're working class forget about it. Once the dole laws changed in the late 80's the working class creatives/voice was pretty much snuffed out.

BBC is nearly all Oxbridge, art/fashion/literary world is full of kids who already had money etc....The art doesn't matter in the final analysis its more about positioning.

"I'm missing a lot of working class bands," Weller tells Gigwise. "I think there's a lot of middle class bands around. Some of it's good obviously, but I'm missing the fire and the anger of the bands who I've just come off a council estate or a block of flats and have got something to say. That's not to say they're not out there at all, because there are still some bands out there, but generally I'm missing that.

"Whether that's just a thing of the past...when I was a kid, right, even though it's a cliche but that's because it's true, music and sport were escape routes from your pre-destined future.'' Paul Weller

Edited by Park Life

A lot of psychological problems in this day and age stem from materialistic things or the belief that you must own/use them in order to feel accepted.

Our natural ability to survive in the so called wild diminishes by the day, for most.

Many people are in jobs that they hate and dream of better, as well as better pay, but most will never take the step out of their hated comfort zone.

People become institutionalised, kind of thing and lose the get up and go to venture further.

The silver spoon brigade who live their lives on Mam and Dad's plastic, have only one never to be reached goal. That goal is more than what Mam and Dad can provide or anyone can provide, because nothing will ever appease people like this.

The only goal of a soldier in a trench would have been to survive the trench.

After that the soldier can set another goal of getting a job in civvy street.

The next goal could be a woman to love.

The next goal for a child and maybe another goal for another child, etc.

Always a goal to strive for but always a goal that , by odds, is reachable.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Basically speaking. You only get out what you put in, in equal measures.

Just now, Park Life said:

Nobody really wants to do a normal job. As you say it's a necessity if you want a lifestyle. Most creative types never make it but that isn't really why they do it.

of course no one wants to work for the man but if you like drinking wine and buying clothes and eating out, it's a necessity - unless you're in the 1% who are lucky or talented enough to make it, or you have wealthy parents who finance a lifestyle, we all have to do it.  the secret is trying to find a job you don't hate which pays enough so you can endure it. 

a good friend of mine has spent his entire adult life studying and working creatively. he has two degrees, a PHD, about 6 A-levels and has put on the odd art installation and cut some drum n bass tunes. He says he couldn't imagine doing something he didn't love. i'm sure he'd come around to the idea if he didn't have a trust fund to live off.