Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

Agree they might have been an anomaly but they spent a fair whack relative to earlier days of the premier league though. The kind of thing that seemed inconceivable in the previous decade. Think they were the 7th of 8th biggest spenders the year they won it. 

20 minutes ago, adios said:

That's a fair point, though I'll have to I'll have to take your word for it as I prefer other people to do my research for me. ;)

Paging @The Fish

"Thing is they may have spent more than......

[Insert many paragraphs littered with words straight from the Oxford dictionaries 'Words you've always wanted to use but were not sure if you should?' book.]

.....and this concludes my post on the subject."

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Agree they might have been an anomaly but they spent a fair whack relative to earlier days of the premier league though. The kind of thing that seemed inconceivable in the previous decade. Think they were the 7th of 8th biggest spenders the year they won it. 

We spent more than twice than they did that season...

47 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

"Thing is they may have spent more than......

[Insert many paragraphs littered with words straight from the Oxford dictionaries 'Words you've always wanted to use but were not sure if you should?' book.]

.....and this concludes my post on the subject."

:lol:  You can never accuse him of not putting in the graft though even if we'd sometimes rather he hadn't bothered.

5 hours ago, adios said:

Money's already fucked the game into next week, so let's pour more money in (and then complain that teams don't have a go at sides 10x better). :good:  

The game is well and truly fucked and there's no going back as The FA make too much money to change anything to do with wage setup etc. Pogba asking for his wages to be upped to 400k a week, fucking scandalous it really is. 

Honestly I'm probably just an embittered Newcastle fan at this point but I'd rather the whole fucking mess collapsed and I'd just move to Newcastle to watch the football.

11 hours ago, adios said:

Money's already fucked the game into next week, so let's pour more money in (and then complain that teams don't have a go at sides 10x better). :good:  

I hardly ever go to matches anymore, i never used to miss home and away in the 80s

I don't miss going to the match that much these days

I don't want to go to hear some tossa telling me to sit down, or stop swearing ffs or some jobs worth steward telling me to calm down after a goal.

Money has fucked the game.

I had a look at my local playing fields, dodgy bumpy crap pitches with bent crossbars and dog shit all over the place.

nee wonder we have no young  lads coming through.

Then i read that Pogba is demanding £400,000  a fucking week !!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/paul-pogba-demand-manchester-united-11888612

The 80s had its bad points, we all know what they were.

But I'd take that over the shit money grabbing PC bollocks that is modern football anyday.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, adios said:

I think Leicester are an anomaly that we might see once every thirty years.  Don't see a correlation between their spending and winning the league.  Something something Danny Simpson.

My contention is that odds like those we saw yesterday should be reserved for shite leagues like Scotland or Belgium.  We were given a 4.5% chance of winning (and later 3%) and I honestly looked at it and wasn't sure there was value in it.

Maybe it's rose-tinted glasses but I feel like we grew up having a reasonable chance of anyone beating anyone (and certainly drawing) on a given day.  Even if that was only 20%.

I'll watch every match out of duty (thanks to all that money tbf) but honestly, you have to wonder why we bother against the top 5(?) at this point.

That's why I feel the game is being ruined.

I think those odds reflect our expected tactical approach which was always going to be unadventurous (justifiably) and thus unlikely to return an unlikely win. Were we a hustle and bustle, gung-ho Championship club just out to enjoy our day in the sun, the odds would reflect that. 

We'd have had a go if we had a decent side, but we don't. The real issue is the negative blokes in charge of the mid-tier of the top flight. Stoke, West Brom, West Ham, etc. They could and should be looking to cause the elite clubs problems with their approach, if not their teamsheet. But they're all managed by dinosaurs.

10 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

I hardly ever go to matches anymore, i never used to miss home and away in the 80s

I don't miss going to the match that much these days

I don't want to go to hear some tossa telling me to sit down, or stop swearing ffs or some jobs worth steward telling me to calm down after a goal.

Money has fucked the game.

I had a look at my local playing fields, dodgy bumpy crap pitches with bent crossbars and dog shit all over the place.

nee wonder we have no young  lads coming through.

Then i read that Pogba is demanding £400,000  a fucking week !!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/paul-pogba-demand-manchester-united-11888612

The 80s had its bad points, we all know what they were.

But I'd take that over the shit money grabbing PC bollocks that is modern football anyday.

I've said a few times before that one of the worst things about the money in the PL/FA is how little seems to trickle down to the grassroots. For evidence see the England team.

• Like 1