Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

54 minutes ago, strawb said:

It what world is it the same as an athlete using drugs?

In a world where Sunderland is the centre of the universe maybe? Dark and terrible place iyam.

15 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Nowt sanctimonious about it and it’s a view widely shared. If a teacher, nurse or copper was caught on camera doing that they would be at the dole office in a matter of weeks. I’m hardly jealous :lol:

I find it hard to fathom how that’s a natural reaction to getting some gip about a football result. He can’t even claim he was pissed. He’s a scruffy cunt. 

Not like folks to be contrary on here either if we are playing playing that game ;)

I think there's a more general point about mean-spiritedness (to borrow PL's phrase) in UK society which I agree with. It's not meant to be a dig at you because I think to a certain extent we're all guilty of it (I know I am) but the all pervasive nature of it engenders an attitude where people don't want other people to do well (which extends to being paid well etc., etc.) just because their life isn't as good as they want it to be. The daft thing is, if your life's a bit shit and you get a kick out of the notion of Carragher getting the sack, how long does the satisfaction last? 5 minutes later you realise nowt's changed for the better and you don't feel any better about yourself (again, I don't mean you specifically as I don't really think you're like that but I bet you know some people who are). We're all victims of it, not least yourself, with your pay having been frozen for over a decade in the public sector and it's that all pervasive attidtude I'm talking about which makes people ok with it and allows a government to get away with austerity (you must have heard people say stuff like "It's about time the public sector got a dose of reality" or "Look at their pensions, they've got nothing to complain about" etc. The gutter press don't help much with their constant blame game (especially seeing as they're almost always blaming the wrong people anyway, whether it be 'scroungers' or immigrants).

As another general point I can't believe how outraged some people get about stuff like this. Many of the same people probably shrugged their shoulders when they heard about that old gent dying in hospital the other because of overcrowding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, strawb said:

It what world is it the same as an athlete using drugs?

Being caught for the first time doesn't necessarily mean it's the first time they have done it.Athletes rarely admit to earlier drug taking when caught for the first time.How many other similar ' moments of madness' has Carragher suffered.

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

:lol: Just laughed and showed a young lad here that.  Blank face.

Heathen

:lol: I never thought about but half the people on here probably don't have a clue who they are

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I think there's a more general point about mean-spiritedness (to borrow PL's phrase) in UK society which I agree with. It's not meant to be a dig at you because I think to a certain extent we're all guilty of it (I know I am) but the all pervasive nature of it engenders an attitude where people don't want other people to do well (which extends to being paid well etc., etc.) just because their life isn't as good as they want it to be. The daft thing is, if your life's a bit shit and you get a kick out of the notion of Carragher getting the sack, how long does the satisfaction last? 5 minutes later you realise nowt's changed for the better and you don't feel any better about yourself (again, I don't mean you specifically as I don't really think you're like that but I bet you know some people who are). We're all victims of it, not least yourself, with your pay having been frozen for over a decade in the public sector and it's that all pervasive attidtude I'm talking about which makes people ok with it and allows a government to get away with austerity (you must have heard people say stuff like "It's about time the public sector got a dose of reality" or "Look at their pensions, they've got nothing to complain about" etc. The gutter press don't help much with their constant blame game (especially seeing as they're almost always blaming the wrong people anyway, whether it be 'scroungers' or immigrants).

As another general point I can't believe how outraged some people get about stuff like this. Many of the same people probably shrugged their shoulders when they heard about that old gent dying in hospital the other because of overcrowding.

Some good points but, personally speaking, my feelings around the Carragher situation genuinely aren’t rooted in me being angry that he’s rich, famous or done well for himself and that I feel he deserves being knocked down a peg or two. I think anyone that goes into public sector employment knows they aren’t going to be rich anytime soon. There’s plenty of miserable rich people out there fwiw. My earlier point about Joe Bloggs being sacked if he did the same so why not Carragher might have been hasty. Contrary to public perception, I have my faults.

As for your last point, I assume most people are outraged at both. It’s difficult to assign specific blame for the latter issue as it’s borne out of years of deliberate mismanagement of the health service from an entire political party, rather than one knacker gobbing on a kid. 

Its all by the by anyway. He will be dropped from sky for a few weeks til it blows over and then be back on telly and all will be forgotten 

Social media shows the best and worst of humanity in equal measure unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Some good points but, personally speaking, my feelings around the Carragher situation genuinely aren’t rooted in me being angry that he’s rich, famous or done well for himself and that I feel he deserves being knocked down a peg or two. I think anyone that goes into public sector employment knows they aren’t going to be rich anytime soon. There’s plenty of miserable rich people out there fwiw. My earlier point about Joe Bloggs being sacked if he did the same so why not Carragher might have been hasty. Contrary to public perception, I have my faults.

As for your last point, I assume most people are outraged at both. It’s difficult to assign specific blame for the latter issue as it’s borne out of years of deliberate mismanagement of the health service from an entire political party, rather than one knacker gobbing on a kid. 

Its all by the by anyway. He will be dropped from sky for a few weeks til it blows over and then be back on telly and all will be forgotten 

Social media shows the best and worst of humanity in equal measure unfortunately.

Re: the bit in bold, I didn't really mean you, as I tried to make clear. It was really just general feelings about an attitude in society which the reaction to this is somewhat symptomatic of.

3 minutes ago, adios said:

That wasn't remotely snide; I was genuinely interested in what you were referring to.

Try not to be so sensitive.

Cat memes are probably the apex of civlisation as far as humanity is concerned, so he's probably right tbh.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I was thinking more along the lines of #blacklivesmatters, #metoo and that ilk

I hadn't considered these or cat memes.  Fair points.