Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

17 hours ago, ewerk said:

Of course they aren’t going to pay the fee until all the facts and any wrongdoing has been established.

I've not read a lot about what they are claiming could have happened but on the face of it, it seems unlikely that any wrongdoing (there's bound to be some with Mckay involved) impacts at all on what Nantes are due from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

I've not read a lot about what they are claiming could have happened but on the face of it, it seems unlikely that any wrongdoing (there's bound to be some with Mckay involved) impacts at all on what Nantes are due from them.

I don't know all the facts or what their objections are in order to judge. Did the transfer go through fully? Had he received his work permit that any deal would have relied on? Did McKay or his son employ an illegal pilot to transport him? I'd imagine there's a lot to be sorted out and Nantes demand for payment was untastefully prompt after his death.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

I don't know all the facts or what their objections are in order to judge. Did the transfer go through fully? Had he received his work permit that any deal would have relied on? Did McKay or his son employ an illegal pilot to transport him? I'd imagine there's a lot to be sorted out and Nantes demand for payment was untastefully prompt after his death.

I only really know what is written in that article and according to that, Cardiff announced that the deal was all signed and he had been registered for their squad so it looks like everything that was required was received (if I remember rightly he was talked about as possibly being registered in time to play against us, so possibly he didn't need a work permit?).  What McKay did on their behalf in terms of booking the flight is nothing to do with Nantes though is it?  You would have though Cardiff would have arranged such things for their record signing themselves but if the transfer had gone through, it was no longer Nantes concern either way. I assume Cardiff would have had him insured from the moment he became their player.  You would think the insurance company would be interested in knowing whether Cardiff had correctly safeguarded the asset they were insuring.  Again this has nothing to do with Nantes though.  They could seek compensation from McKay for their loss, but they would still have to pay.

I agree that their claim certainly comes across as lacking in class but then again, I've got no idea what their finances are.  They may be in a position that they can't afford for Cardiff to take their time over things. 

It appears that a large part of Cardiff's issue comes from whether or not they were mislead into thinking there were other clubs in for the player and so they paid over the odds.  But I can't see how this is an argument not pay.  It might make them not want to deal with McKay again but I can't imagine there's an agent out there who isn't doing the same thing.

This is basically all coming from that one article though so I'm perfectly willing to accept some of the things in it might be biased or factually inaccurate.

• Like 2

I’ve just found out that my Grandad’s brother played for Bishop Auckland, who were one of the best amateur sides in England. 

He played in the 1939 FA Amateur Cup Final, which they won 3-0, alongside one of his teammates, a Bob Paisley from Hetton-Le-Hole. 

:D

Whale Oil Beef Hooked. 

• Like 2

They’re fucked. No Champions League football next year, no ability to buy players, Hazard and that other young fella off in the summer and no decent manager is going to touch them under those conditions.

My heart bleeds for them. Man City next please.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Bishops were kings of Wembley back then :D

Screenshot_20190221-182401.jpg

For most of their history that was the only thing the smoggies had ever won 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

While I was never Shearer’s no 1 fan I always acknowledged he was a phenomenal goal machine but I think his ‘proper’ tally is somewhere around 300. Messi just scored his 50th hat trick and 650th competitive club & country goal at the age of 31

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

While I was never Shearer’s no 1 fan I always acknowledged he was a phenomenal goal machine but I think his ‘proper’ tally is somewhere around 300. Messi just scored his 50th hat trick and 650th competitive club & country goal at the age of 31

Aye, it’s absolutely mental when you look at Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal tallies. A 1 in 2 record is traditionally seen as prolific, meanwhile those two are averaging a goal a game or better :lol: 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

Of course Messi is a much better player than Shearer but how many would Al have scored in a team challenging for the title every season?

Edit: Though obviously Shearer in his later years wouldn’t have started for that sort of side.

Edited by ewerk