Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

Saw this the other day, not ashamed to say that I thought it was peak era Cruyff for Holland...

Last seen @ SJP toiling to make an impression during Fergies first full season for Manu, Nov 1987 0-0. He got 3 u21 caps and that was it. Passed away a few years ago due to alcohol issues. RIP Ralphy 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

The Palace penalty taker is in his team because he scored a pen. The BBC need to fuck him off back to where they fucked him off to a while ago. 

Stoke? 

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Very interesting article, had never heard of the bloke and certainly not of the prince either. There must be a dozen Prince Abdullahs in Saudi. 

Equally interesting was this one: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47830726

Somebody posted not long ago about how Emre, at 38, is still playing internationally for Turkey. Looks clear now why that is - he's been rimming Erdogan. Plays for and captains his pet team, rubs shoulders with him at his mate Turan's wedding, and makes the same ridiculous political gestures he does. In 2013, the Egyptian military overthrew President Morsi, and Erdogan made a huge deal about how corrupt the coup was, and how it had been orchestrated by Israel, and he went around at rallies making a four-fingered gesture that was supposed to represent support for Morsi, who was Egypt's fourth president. Emre was playing for Konyaspor at the time and made the same gesture after he scored. Any respect I had for the racist little cunt evaporated instantly. 

I was in Istanbul at the time, as it happens, and as soon as any Turk found out that I was Egyptian they immediately started giving me a load of bullshit about how great Morsi was (he was an awful president, an Islamist in the thinnest of disguises), how terrible it was that the military had intervened (Egypt would be Somalia by now if they hadn't) and how their great president Erdogan had "evidence" that Mossad was behind the coup, which he was going to present in parliament any day now (obviously there is no such evidence.) It used to do my head in listening to this crap, as if anyone with even the barest capacity to think critically could believe the lies Erdogan tells. 

Of course, FIFA takes no action as the sitting president blatantly interferes in football. Basaksehir is owned by the fucking Ministry of Sports. It is 100% a government institution. It's as if the Crown bought Leyton Orient and pumped hundreds of millions into getting them to the Premier League title, bending the rules along the way. They have an average attendance of 5000, for fuck's sake. The entire club is tainted top to bottom by association with Erdogan and AKP. 

Sorry for the rant but any thought of Turkey leaves an awful taste in my mouth now. For decades Turkey was the model to follow for secular Muslim-majority states. Now the entire government has pretty openly embraced Islamism and chucked the Kemalist mentality which has sustained Turkey for almost 100 years. The ruling party lost local elections in Istanbul for the first time in decades. The next day they started putting up posters declaring they'd won and thanking Istanbul for their support. They've already overturned 7 electoral losses in to a Kurdish opposition party. It seems all but certain that they will try to declare the Istanbul election was rigged (in fact, government sources have already been unofficially calling it "the most stained election in our democratic history.") The place has turned into a banana republic in just a few years, and it makes me sad. 

• Like 3