Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

4 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

I remember when it was the top two/big two (Liverpool and Man Utd).The top/big four ( Man Utd,Liverpool.Arsenal and Chelsea).In the last 25 seasons Tottenham have finished outside the top six more than inside.Can you be relegated from the top/big six?

Haha in the last 25 seasons fuck me that's reaching. in the last 12 years they have finished outside the top 6 twice. If they went on a run and stopped finishing in the top 6 for 3-4 years and we took their place. How pissed off would you be if someone called us one of the top 6.

I remember when the big two were Liverpool and Nottingham.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

Our Wearside focussed friend does kind of have a point though. The "Big/Top" group has swelled over the past decade or so. 

Was recently a “Top 3” of Arsenal, Man Utd and maybe Liverpool. Then Chelsea joined the “Big 4” party soon after 20013 2003 thanks to Abramovich, and Man Utd’s noisy neighbours paid for their admission to the “Top 5” around 2008.

It’s now stretched to the Big 6 because of Spurs’ methodical and sustained improvement.

Could the Big Top stretch once more to accommodate another team? If so, why not a resuscitated NUFC? I mean if any team should be in the Big Top it’s the circus that is Newcastle United.

It's an investment firm mind... presumably her aim would be to make us more valuable. Turn profits as well.

I daresay she has access to far superior commercial people than Ashley, but even so, the model might not change much.

She wouldn't be buying us as an investment. Most likely facilitating a deal for a client of hers who wants to spunk trillions of dirty oil money dollars at a club in the NE of England.

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's an investment firm mind... presumably her aim would be to make us more valuable. Turn profits as well.

I daresay she has access to far superior commercial people than Ashley, but even so, the model might not change much.

The model isn't a massive problem if it's matched with ambition. Scouring other markets for value is fine if you're doing that to improve the first team. Selling a player for a huge profit is fine if you use the monies to improve the first team. The issue lies when player sales are used solely to turn a profit/pay bills.

Just think of the teams we could have had if we hadn't seen the turnover of players we had (and hadn’t had the managers we’ve had).

Selling Carroll for £35m is fine if you bring in Ba, selling Sissoko for a daft profit is fine if his departure doesn’t leave you imbalanced. The issue lies in buying a slight French attacking midfielder when it’s clear you need a centre half. Buying him because there’s a greater premium on attacking players, than defensive ones.

51 minutes ago, ewerk said:

She wouldn't be buying us as an investment. Most likely facilitating a deal for a client of hers who wants to spunk trillions of dirty oil money dollars at a club in the NE of England.

:spinwank: 

remember how much every supporter of a rival club watched with envy as chelsea and man u were taken by oil rich billionaires of dubious moral background, spunking record fees and wages on world class players? 

it's spoiling football! they bought the title, we cried.

deep down we would have all loved to have been in their position. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

No deep down about it.

One oil rich billionaire loon please!

Those first couple of seasons of Chelsea or City doing it were quite entertaining, Chelsea perhaps less so since they were starting from a higher position than city but still...

Imagine the Tevez/Toure/Silva coming here and still having to mix in the squad with Paul Dummet, brilliant. 

23 minutes ago, Andrew said:

No deep down about it.

One oil rich billionaire loon please!

Those first couple of seasons of Chelsea or City doing it were quite entertaining, Chelsea perhaps less so since they were starting from a higher position than city but still...

Imagine the Tevez/Toure/Silva coming here and still having to mix in the squad with Paul Dummet, brilliant. 

:lol: 

Aubameyang tapping Benzema on the shoulder "I think the training ground is haunted. I keep seeing a pale ginger figure wandering the halls wailing about having to move to Hell"

JS107551053.jpg

Weren't there regular Christmas Day games in the past?  Where we (those of us who haven't migrated South) live means it's a bit of a fuck on to travel anywhere for any away match.  I've got a ticket to Man U next month and it's about £70 for the train or a three hour dive (longer in the bus) and no drinking.  But the authorities give us no consideration whatsover  (three of our four longest away treks this season have been moved to four o'clock on a Sunday.  No doubt Bournemouth with have some other ridiculous kick off).

We should get medals for following the club all over the country but we just get shit on as per.

52 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Weren't there regular Christmas Day games in the past?  Where we (those of us who haven't migrated South) live means it's a bit of a fuck on to travel anywhere for any away match.  I've got a ticket to Man U next month and it's about £70 for the train or a three hour dive (longer in the bus) and no drinking.  But the authorities give us no consideration whatsover  (three of our four longest away treks this season have been moved to four o'clock on a Sunday.  No doubt Bournemouth with have some other ridiculous kick off).

We should get medals for following the club all over the country but we just get shit on as per.

Must be because outside the top clubs, we're one of the biggest audience draws? Proven by our high viewer figures while in the Championship?

Which is undoubtedly shit for the majority of fans who want to get to an away game.

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

There used to be games on Xmas Day, aye. Probably have to go back to something like the 40s or 50s but there used to be a full programme of matches in the top flight I believe (weather permitting).

Just now, Rayvin said:

Huh... fair enough then I guess. Still seems a bit off, but maybe I just like a good whinge at Sky.

Just looked it up. Last full schedule in England was 1957 but Blackpool kept the tradition going until the 60s. It still occurred in Scotland as recently as the 70s. The only reason it stopped was because transport workers started to be given the day off so the 'bumper holiday crowds' it attracted would've found it more difficult to get there. I suppose because no ones gives a shit about the match-attendees any more it'll perhaps only be a matter of time.

I'm in favour of anything that gets me out of playing fucking board games on Christmas day.

Edited by The Fish

40 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm in favour of anything that gets me out of playing fucking board games on Christmas day.

If you're looking to spice things up you might want to try XXXopoly.  You are going to need a willing partner, of course.  Also, you'll get more enjoyment out of the game if you have some lubricant and a couple of dildos (for the ladies, gentlemen).  May I suggest the rabbit vibrator with double stimulation and six vibrational settings?  It's also waterproof.  :)