Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

9 minutes ago, adios said:

You don't think playing under Souness at Newcastle would be detrimental to your development vs playing for Benitez at Liverpool back then?

I mean, I think he's right to say he needs to look in the mirror for the answers as to where his career went wrong, but I also think he's right (and too honest) in what he's saying.

Howay man, bulk of his NUFC career was under Robson at a CL club training with professionals like Shearer, Speed, Given etc, he left the club at 22, was young PFA at NUFC under the lesser players that Gerrard and McManaman, the former of whom finished behind but can't remember, mentions. Why not mention Spurs? He did fuck all there and his career was pretty much the standard of average yet it seems they get a free pass as they're currently a decent CL club? It's pure revisionism and although McManaman and Gerrard may genuinely be ignorant about NUFC as they patently couldn't give a fuck about us Jenas should know better as it's his career he's talking about. 

2 minutes ago, adios said:

There was a period of about 5 mins where Jenas looked like a hell of a prospect, but mostly he was just shite.

I'm not defending his playing or saying he showed anything special after his England caps, just that his point is correct and he's a decent pundit (not something you can say for Shearer tbh).

Nothing wrong with Shearer as a pundit 

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Agree tbh, I like Shearer - although that might just be because I'm biased as fuck.

16 minutes ago, adios said:

You don't think playing under Souness at Newcastle would be detrimental to your development vs playing for Benitez at Liverpool back then?

I mean, I think he's right to say he needs to look in the mirror for the answers as to where his career went wrong, but I also think he's right (and too honest) in what he's saying.

Theres a lot in this like. Souness played for Liverpool and all they did in training was 5 a side; because they had half a dozen world class players they didn’t need to keep sharpening their skills. Souness had Dean fuckin Saunders doing any training at NUFC. For me Jenas decline with us started with the appointment of Souness. 

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Howay man, bulk of his NUFC career was under Robson at a CL club training with professionals like Shearer, Speed, Given etc, he left the club at 22, was young PFA at NUFC under the lesser players that Gerrard and McManaman, the former of whom finished behind but can't remember, mentions. Why not mention Spurs? He did fuck all there and his career was pretty much the standard of average yet it seems they get a free pass as they're currently a decent CL club? It's pure revisionism and although McManaman and Gerrard may genuinely be ignorant about NUFC as they patently couldn't give a fuck about us Jenas should know better as it's his career he's talking about. 

Ramos' name was brought up (admittedly by the host) so Spurs was mentioned.  As I said, he need only look in the mirror, and as @Gemmill says he may well be being revisionist (perhaps borrowing the narrative from someone who was telling the truth).

The irony for me is that Shearer will absolutely believe the same thing (although he's not brave/stupid enough to say it and it is actually true for him).

I don't think Jenas' failure is as simple as "he was shite" or "he was a lazy cunt".  It's way more nuanced than that and there's elements of truth in what he says about his own time that I've no interest in getting into.

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I think this situation is a perfect example.  Jenas brings up an interesting point and Shearer shoots it down with a snide comment (which I did find funny tbf).  

Or maybe Shearer's thinking a step beyond me and disarming a situation (that could get ugly) with a bit of piss taking.

I may be biased the other way as I'm disappointed in Shearer as a pundit.  I loved him as a player (fucking obviously) but I think he's probably a bit of a dick as a bloke and not very insightful in what he says.  He does fight Newcastle's corner/is actually knowledgeable about the club on MOTD though which is a very pleasant change.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Still genuinely curious as to what it was Jenas gave us... I might have to look up a highlight reel.

He had the same birthday as Bobby.

What utter bollocks that Gerrard and Lampard were playing with such a better class of player than he was. We were neck and neck with Liverpool and Chelsea during his time here. Him giving up towards the end didn’t do the team any favours.

To give you an honest answer, it's very hard to have a serious debate about a player who had a lot of potential and never realised any of it but he and Dyer absolutely bossed the midfield for a couple games (then again so did Acuna and McClen(?)).  He sat deeper, box-to-box, good range of passing, could get forward is what I remember. 

But mostly what I remember him for is him playing for us at St James after he joined Spurs by falling over the easiest chance you'll ever see instead of burying it and it summed up his career perfectly.

10 minutes ago, adios said:

Ramos' name was brought up (admittedly by the host) so Spurs was mentioned.  As I said, he need only look in the mirror, and as @Gemmill says he may well be being revisionist (perhaps borrowing the narrative from someone who was telling the truth).

The irony for me is that Shearer will absolutely believe the same thing (although he's not brave/stupid enough to say it and it is actually true for him).

I don't think Jenas' failure is as simple as "he was shite" or "he was a lazy cunt".  It's way more nuanced than that and there's elements of truth in what he says about his own time that I've no interest in getting into.

Absolutely no doubt we were going downhill when Jenas left but despite the host mentioning Ramos name at the end there was no focus at all on his time at Spurs, no focus on coming to a club as a teen from the 2nd div then playing in Europe with seasoned pro's like speed etc. Like I say, if we got a bit more of the truth from ex players who didn't hold grudges we mightn't get so defensive when bollocks like this gets said. He could easily have stepped in and say it was a great step for him when he first went to NUFC and mention the positives for the bulk of his time here but he opted not to. Disappointing but tbh it's what I've come to expect from the likes of Dyer, Bellamy and Jenas although Jenas never seemed as bitter as the other two. 

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Think adios is just bored/fishing

You give me way too much credit.

I am bored as fuck though tbf.

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Absolutely no doubt we were going downhill when Jenas left but despite the host mentioning Ramos name at the end there was no focus at all on his time at Spurs, no focus on coming to a club as a teen from the 2nd div then playing in Europe with seasoned pro's like speed etc. Like I say, if we got a bit more of the truth from ex players who didn't hold grudges we mightn't get so defensive when bollocks like this gets said. He could easily have stepped in and say it was a great step for him when he first went to NUFC and mention the positives for the bulk of his time here but he opted not to. Disappointing but tbh it's what I've come to expect from the likes of Dyer, Bellamy and Jenas although Jenas never seemed as bitter as the other two. 

That's fair.  I would never put him in the same cuntbox as Bellamy but he clearly doesn't remember his time at Newcastle fondly.

I might just have the hots for Jermaine tbh.

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Back Arsenal at almost evens and watch the money roll in for a couple of hours on Sky Sports

Not a bad plan but I haven't the stomach for neutral football with the state of matters at Newcastle right now.

And, as you know, I am not a gambling man. ;)   

If I’m reading this correctly, Jenas came off the England bench a total of 3 times as a Newcastle player. Strange how that fact didn’t spoil his “ I’m not blaming anyone but..” charade. Basically he was in far, far more England squads as a Spurs player than an England player. 

https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/players/season/2005/

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Jenas had footballing ability but lacked the mental fortitude to boss games. This was apparent before SBR left the club

Aye, that's probably the long and short of it. 

I just watched a couple of highlight reels after @Rayvin mentioned it and he did do a bit more than I remember when he first came in.  Mostly it just saddened me to go from what we were watching under Bobby to the shite we're being served up now. :(  

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If I’m reading this correctly, Jenas came off the England bench a total of 3 times as a Newcastle player. Strange how that fact didn’t spoil his “ I’m not blaming anyone but..” charade. Basically he was in far, far more England squads as a Spurs player than an England player. 

https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/players/season/2005/

Am I right in thinking it's 3 starts (appearances) and 3 subs as Defoe has more subs than appearances in that table.

He was shite for England anyway iirc.