Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

This is getting near the crux of the “modern football is shite” thing :cuppa: 

The City or Chelsea of 2018 would play their 1992-93 equivalents off the field, and the rout could be anatomised and analysed in a raft of statistics the 1992 players would never have heard of. But who has gained? Does a higher technical standard of play make people feel better about soccer? Were the City fans who celebrated Silva’s goal yesterday any happier than the Chelsea fans who celebrated Harford’s in 1992?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-castrate-a-red-bull-or-bow-down-to-cash-1.3414770?mode=amp

Edited by PaddockLad

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

This is getting near the crux of the “modern football is shite” thing :cuppa: 

The City or Chelsea of 2018 would play their 1992-93 equivalents off the field, and the rout could be anatomised and analysed in a raft of statistics the 1992 players would never have heard of. But who has gained? Does a higher technical standard of play make people feel better about soccer? Were the City fans who celebrated Silva’s goal yesterday any happier than the Chelsea fans who celebrated Harford’s in 1992?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-castrate-a-red-bull-or-bow-down-to-cash-1.3414770?mode=amp

Canny read. Fitness is the other obvious thing that has meant football teams of today would beat their counterparts of 25 years ago or whatever but you could equally argue that, like the influx of foreign investment, it's done nothing to make the football more entertaining.

Games always converge towards this though (and I think it ultimately makes them shite too).

It's about exploitability.  If 1992 Chelsea play 2018 Man City they get demolished because someone is always going to take the game to the next level and then the purists are fucked.

On the flip side, people defo overanalyse when it's trendy and there's usually a way of exploiting that too.  Like momentum and psychology are currently very hard things to account for in any kind of analysis but are (imo) crucial to many games and until deep learning owns all of our souls before breakfast, it's a big hole in their analysis.

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The fact that the 1992 team are probably all in their 50's by now might have an effect.

Mick Harford could still chin them all though

3 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Whatever came of the Beardsley stuff?

Ongoing as far as I know, I think there were some fresh allegations last week.

• Thanks 1

Loads of faults with Jenas' nonsense. I'll have a go at listing them:

He talks about being on the same level as Gerrard and Lampard but the rest of Newcastle being below that. NUFC finished above both Liverpool and Chelsea in 03. Only Man Utd and Arsenal above. Who does he think he should have been replacing in their teams? Scholes? Vieira? Behave. 

He went on to join a garbage Spurs side. Anyone remember Juande Ramos? Jacques Santini?

Earned 14 England caps while at Newcastle. Left at 22 and earned 7 more.

Talks about not being able to handle playing at the Toon but seems to think he's unfazed playing for England at Wembley.

Was never even our best midfielder. Speed and Dyer better in the middle. Robert and Solano better out wide.

He's really pissed me off here, the ungrateful little weasel. He owes his career to NUFC. He's bitter about something somewhere along the line.

Jesus man just the bare faced cheek of mentioning the all time goalscorer of Chelsea FC, multiple Premier League winner and European Champion Frank Lampard alongside himself!!! He'll then go on tele and call Toon fans deluded!!! I can't handle it lads

Edited by rob032
  • Like 5

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-can-players-and-clubs-take-the-fa-seriously-after-martin-glenns-crass-comments-jrhqvqmfn?shareToken=3c1535d88fc090649e7e951a1c2e356a

Henry Winter is certainly one of the better journos around but this is a load of sanctimonious twaddle. Yes, it obviously wasn't the best idea to lump religion and politics together but his intended point still stands.

Only really been following Sunderland's plight in the championship this season, but was just looking over the table there and am surprised to see that Sheff Wed are lower half. They had a storming run at promotion last season, weird to see them fall away as they have. 17th on 37 points.

Didn't even notice that but aye, you're right. I'm tempted to assume that both teams lost key players over the summer but you'd think that such people would only have been sold into the PL, and as such, they should have been well paid for them.

The margins must just be that fine, I suppose.

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Didn't even notice that but aye, you're right. I'm tempted to assume that both teams lost key players over the summer but you'd think that such people would only have been sold into the PL, and as such, they should have been well paid for them.

The margins must just be that fine, I suppose.

Think momentum is massive too due to amount of games.

13 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I'm not even going to click and read that. :lol:

Large Samuel in the shit and trying to deflect the excrement from himself, it's a real lifetime skill of his.