Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

34 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I like VAR refs are generally biased and shit. Like a lot of things VAR is completely spoiled by the twats using it.

I get this and largely agree but they had to change the law for the Man City goal to be ruled out last night. After 131 years of the laws of the game being virtually unchanged they’ve been changed not to ensure fairness but to appease the media and tv audiences. 

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Surely it simplifies the law? Refs no longer have to guess players’ intentions but it’s simply a case of whether there was contact with the ball or not?

Yes. I see that. How many in the stadium saw the handball though? Did the Spurs defenders surround the ref after Jesus eventually scored? It’s fundamentally changing the game for the sake of tv. Am hoping you can see that side of it too. Am also looking forward to the first attacker blasting a ball at a players arm to get a penalty this season  👍

Edited by PaddockLad

22 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yes. I see that. How many in the stadium saw the handball though? Did the Spurs defenders surround the ref after Jesus eventually scored? It’s fundamentally changing the game for the sake of tv. Am hoping you can see that side of it too. Am also looking forward to the first attacker blasting a ball at a players arm to get a penalty this season  👍

On Friday Motherwell got beat 2-1 by hearts and knocked out of the league cup. Hearts 2nd goal was set up by a deliberate hand ball. You’re saying because the ref missed it that’s alright.

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily for TV because it doesn’t improve the viewing experience for anyone.

I was in favour of it, give it a couple of seasons. If it’s still a ball ache then I’ll be happy to see it dropped. But overall it should benefit teams like us with less ‘big club’ decisions going against us.

I think there should be a review system like cricket tbh. Give captains/managers three per game & after that it’s hard lines.

It stops the offside rule routinely being whittled down to millimetres & absurd decisions like yesterday’s hand ball that nobody knew about till some geek in a van clocked it.

• Like 3

They’re introducing sin bins into all grassroots & women’s football.

Honestly, with the combination of sin bins & VAR in its current guise I would probably sack it off. 

C543E33C-7C96-4DEF-89BC-4CD8EC4F9C82.jpeg

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily for TV because it doesn’t improve the viewing experience for anyone.

I was in favour of it, give it a couple of seasons. If it’s still a ball ache then I’ll be happy to see it dropped. But overall it should benefit teams like us with less ‘big club’ decisions going against us.

The situation where tv viewers know more than the ref has been ridiculous since “action replays” were introduced. The situation has become increasingly untenable since the advent of pay tv. So I can largely accept that the tech had to come in. To change the rules of the game off the back of it though is really taking the piss. It’s all media driven. As if it’s THEIR game. What about helping the folk creating the atmosphere in the actual stadium to understand what the fuck is going on first? 

Edited by PaddockLad

I think it has somewhat of a place in the game if only determining that a ball has fully crossed the line or not and is a goal or not. Perhaps it has a place in decisions regarding hand-balls and off-sides but only on occasions of heated protests by the victims bringing the call, or no call,  into question. VAR's purpose is to assist the referee, not needlessly overturn honest decisions he makes.

Man City goal should have stood, it would have last season and the years before. I didn't see any protests about hand-ball, nor did I see the hand-ball.

• Like 1

Wondered if this would make its way here saw it on reddit earlier and saw it reasonably well picked apart as well. 

Everyone should be aware that the only source for VAR running at 50 frames per second is that Sky HDTV broadcasts at 50 frames per second.

The VAR officials absolutely have access to video running at a higher framerate than that broadcasted out on Sky, so the entire basis of this argument is defunct. 

Ultra-Motion Cameras provided by Hawk-Eye work up to 340 fps. The VAR system uses 8 slow-motion and 4 ultra-motion cameras

With a 340 fps utra-motion camera, the "margin of error" using the Daily Mail's 23.4kph (which isn't sourced either) from one frame to another would be 1.91cm.

• Like 1

I know “kink shaming” is a thing and what he likes is harmless but I just can’t stand the bloke.

Makes no odds to me what he likes up his bot/on his chest.

16 hours ago, Tom said:

I know “kink shaming” is a thing and what he likes is harmless but I just can’t stand the bloke.

Makes no odds to me what he likes up his bot/on his chest.

I mean licking a lasses hoop is one thing, but asking to suck the fanny juice off another man's cock is into the realms of a bit weird iyam