Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

40 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't think he's necessarily racist, just thick as fuck.

I agree with that. Sometimes a person will make a remark that in no way they think it is racist, but there is always someone who will construe it as being racist.

Two children playing together  mischievously , one white, one black.

Call the mischievous white child "a little monkey" and there is nothing wrong.

Call the mischievous black child "a little monkey"  RACIST??

But how about if you said "you little monkeys"  parceling them together??

My daughter has a touch of social anxiety to this day, which can be totally attributed to an incident when a girl in her school labelled her racist in front of the whole class (made a major drama out of it) because she innocently said in the library when they were reading that a girl in a book looked like the girl.

Queue the “you are racist, don’t you know it’s racist to say all black people look the same” comment and telling the teacher and whole class stopping and dealing with it. She was only 11.

A completely innocent comment led to one huge drama with teachers involved, with us having to go to the school to sort it out and stuff. The teachers didn’t deal with it very well either, swayed more in the favour of the girl.

She now can’t handle being the point of attention, things like reading out loud in class etc or if there’s any situation where all eyes could be on her, she freaks out. Even years later. Was never like that before.

Its not right what Beardsley said to a black guy. That’s an obvious racist remark.

But Noelle has a good point that there are times when people can innocently say something and it’s construed as racist.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Good player in his day but apparently a fucking moron.

I don’t want to detract from your central point that Beardsley may be a thick as fuck racist but I have to take issue with this. He wasn’t “a good player in his day”, he was absolutely fucking magic as a player.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zerosum said:

My daughter has a touch of social anxiety to this day, which can be totally attributed to an incident when a girl in her school labelled her racist in front of the whole class (made a major drama out of it) because she innocently said in the library when they were reading that a girl in a book looked like the girl.

Queue the “you are racist, don’t you know it’s racist to say all black people look the same” comment and telling the teacher and whole class stopping and dealing with it. She was only 11.

A completely innocent comment led to one huge drama with teachers involved, with us having to go to the school to sort it out and stuff. The teachers didn’t deal with it very well either, swayed more in the favour of the girl.

She now can’t handle being the point of attention, things like reading out loud in class etc or if there’s any situation where all eyes could be on her, she freaks out. Even years later. Was never like that before.

Its not right what Beardsley said to a black guy. That’s an obvious racist remark.

But Noelle has a good point that there are times when people can innocently say something and it’s construed as racist.

It's a bit like the furore over this kid in the hoody. It probably wasn't the best idea in current times but no company goes out of their way to be racist/insensitive.

prc_64941417.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zerosum said:

I had a similar experience although not over racism. Huge drama about nothing and no intent to do harm on my side. Took a lot of counselling to work through it. Sorry to hear what happened to your daughter, it's not right. The other kid I kind of understand but the teachers should handle it a lot better than they did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kitman said:

I don’t want to detract from your central point that Beardsley may be a thick as fuck racist but I have to take issue with this. He wasn’t “a good player in his day”, he was absolutely fucking magic as a player.

Aye, my bad - magic player indeed.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I had a similar experience although not over racism. Huge drama about nothing and no intent to do harm on my side. Took a lot of counselling to work through it. Sorry to hear what happened to your daughter, it's not right. The other kid I kind of understand but the teachers should handle it a lot better than they did.

Cheers. She’s ok in general, but had a couple of therapist sessions. Just divvent look at her lol :razz:

• Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 08:10, Rayvin said:

It was anti-semitism rather than racism? 

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

It was anti-semitism rather than racism? 

No, wasn't an identity based issue - I don't think my 5 year old self had realised that 'people can be divided based on petty bullshit like skin colour and religion' :lol:

• Haha 1

Nice little quiz here- I got 18/20. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49761310

Naming British players who’ve scored 20+ goals in a season in the Premier League. 

( hint- you won’t find this in the brochure of a certain “ fans favourite” :D ). 

Edit; @Alex already posted this in Wor Micky’s thread. Oops.