Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Players aren’t played by cheque.

Don’t be too harsh on him. He’s got too much time trying to be clever with no dogging.

On the other hand he is right though. It would be a good signal from players to make good use of their obscene wages...

10 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Don’t be too harsh on him. He’s got too much time trying to be clever with no dogging.

On the other hand he is right though. It would be a good signal from players to make good use of their obscene wages...

I know I’m being foolishly naive but it is possible for the club to furlough their staff, claim 80% from the government while still paying staff 100% of their normal wage. It’s what I’m doing.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I know I’m being foolishly naive but it is possible for the club to furlough their staff, claim 80% from the government while still paying staff 100% of their normal wage. It’s what I’m doing.

That sounds a bit like fraud to be honest.

The government pays 80%, up to £2,500 a month, under the job retention scheme. We have decided to pay the rest out of our own pockets. There's absolutely nothing illegal or fraudulent about it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The government pays 80%, up to £2,500 a month, under the job retention scheme. We have decided to pay the rest out of our own pockets. There's absolutely nothing illegal or fraudulent about it.

So you’re claiming the 80% then you’re paying 20% to make it 100%

Just now, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

So you’re claiming the 80% then you’re paying 20% to make it 100%

Yes, or in cases of employees earning more than £2,500 we're also making up the extra.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

The way I read this is you were claiming 80% from the government while still paying 100% meaning your staff were getting 180% of their wages.

25 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

The way I read this is you were claiming 80% from the government while still paying 100% meaning your staff were getting 180% of their wages.

We're generous, not mental. :lol: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

That would be the worst bit of fraud ever from ewerk’s pov :lol: 

Even in these strange times it’s reassuring that you can rely on Premier League players to keep reminding everyone what selfish arseholes they are 

Also, just seen that the official FIFA and World Cup accounts are putting some full games on from previous World Cups. I’m currently watching Mexico/USA from 2002 which is definitely not 18 years ago, no way. Funny seeing Marquez of all people described as a “very well-regarded young player”

I think Prime has all the official Fifa World Cup films as well. Some of them are obviously dated but they were filmed back when that medium was far superior to the stuff going out on tv. Different perspectives on some classic goals too. Carlos Alberto’s goal v Italy in the 70 final is probably even better view from high on the other side of the pitch, especially the finish 

• Like 1

What would the point be in players taking a wage cut? The money would most likely just stay in the club. If it were donated then where does it go? These individual donations just appear to be saving the government the odd million here and there rather than tangibly improving lives as far as I can see.