Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

On 9/12/2020 at 09:53, Kid Dynamite said:

Liverpool were shite after the break, they’ve signed no one, Firminho scores as many goals as Joelinton and if Salah or Mane get injured they will struggle to get in the top 4

Man City will walk the league, if Chelsea’s new players click they will finish top 4, as will Arsenal 

Thiago and Jota will improve them. I still think they could do with a back up option for Firminho.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:21, Kid Dynamite said:

Thiago and Jota will improve them. I still think they could do with a back up option for Firminho.

In fairness Jota can play through the middle as well, and I assume his versatility is a big part of the reason Klopp bought him. 

On a entirely unrelated subject I saw Micah Richards on talking quite eloquently after the match, about him and Alex Scott, presumably Evra as well, getting a bit of online abuse because certain people believe that they are diversity hires because Sky let Le Tiss, Thompson and Nicholas go, or fired them to be more precise. Shite for them given that they are all more than qualified, most certainly when in comparison to the aforementioned. Evra is mental though, :icon_lol: the Moyes daughter comment was hilarious. Scott probably has it even worse given she's also replacing Sue Barker on A Question of Sport, and Barker made it clear she was sacked and didn't retire. I rarely watch it but from shallow perspective it will be nice to not have to look at the Crypt Keeper :icon_lol: It really is shit on them, because they are diversity hires in part because that is just corporate policy now whether you agree with that or not, or are strictly for purely meritocratic hiring, but again they are also qualified. It leaves them in a position where ignorant people and dishonest actors can try to use it against them.

Aye I hope people drop it soon. I mean they also have to ask themselves how long they really thought people would be interested in watching them, there has to be some kind of change brought in every now and again ffs.

They’ve all made more than enough money, it’s time for them to move on and give someone else a go imo. The network executives will be thinking about their future viewership, it’s not like kids 17 and under will really know who Thompson, Nicholas, etc were other than blokes on that show, whereas people like Richards, Jenas etc have played in somewhat recent times which gives their analysis a bit more weight with younger viewers, I mean just the other day Richards was talking about times he’d played Gareth Bale, those sort of clips will be put on twitter etc and drive interest in the show. I mean personally I agree with what others are saying, they were fucking dreadful pundits and should have all been replaced fucking yonks ago, from the little I’ve seen of Richards his analysis and punditry is miles better (haven’t seen anything from Scott so can’t speak to that).

Edited by Howay

6 hours ago, Howay said:

Aye I hope people drop it soon. I mean they also have to ask themselves how long they really thought people would be interested in watching them, there has to be some kind of change brought in every now and again ffs.

They’ve all made more than enough money, it’s time for them to move on and give someone else a go imo. The network executives will be thinking about their future viewership, it’s not like kids 17 and under will really know who Thompson, Nicholas, etc were other than blokes on that show, whereas people like Richards, Jenas etc have played in somewhat recent times which gives their analysis a bit more weight with younger viewers, I mean just the other day Richards was talking about times he’d played Gareth Bale, those sort of clips will be put on twitter etc and drive interest in the show. I mean personally I agree with what others are saying, they were fucking dreadful pundits and should have all been replaced fucking yonks ago, from the little I’ve seen of Richards his analysis and punditry is miles better (haven’t seen anything from Scott so can’t speak to that).

Scott is very good, for a woman :D In all seriousness though the bar was so low with the clapped out ex-players that people like Scott, Evra and Richards are a breath of fresh air. They don't smell like betting shops and despair in any case. I wouldn't make it a policy or anything, but I personally don't think you are relevant as a pundit if you are over the age of 55, I was going to say 50 but I don't want Big Al to pack it in yet :icon_lol: There's some exceptions to that rule such as players, coaches and managers who have stayed up to date with current players, tactics, training methods etc, and of course there are some who've never had a clue and never will. The people who actively try to keep themselves up to date are few and far between though. Wenger would be a good example of someone who's in his 70's who's no doubt kept up to date even in semi-retirement. On the other end of the scale Bruce is still working but hasn't got a clue.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

Richards is decent because he actually looks like he wants to be there. I seldom look for wisdom from pundits anyway so this makes a difference.

Contrast that to Danny Murphy or Mark Lawrenson who look like they should be on suicide watch. It’s just depressing watching them.

Most other pundits, Taylor, Nicholson, Le Tissier rarely offer any insight and are so biased to teams they like it’s pointless having them on. 

Same goes for Ferdinand or Owen. 

• Like 3

Exactly. A pundit actually seeming like they are excited to be there, and about football in general, is half the battle as far as I'm concerned. Richard's comments about the unfair questioning, and some direct abuse no doubt, online of why he was hired proved how committed and passionate he is about his job. Either that or he's a damn fine actor.

59 minutes ago, Kitman said:

Is Lawrenson still working :lol:  He clearly lost interest in football years ago

:lol: I just imagine he spends his time hanging about his utility room on the back of the house wearing a slightly undersized shirt waiting until his neighbor goes into the garden, then as soon as his neighbor is 4 steps into the garden he bursts out the door

”eeee y’alright Dave, D’ya believe the weather”

an under the breath fuckin hell from Dave before “how’s it going Mark, yeah nice weather, anyway mate I’m a bit busy....”

”tis isn’t it, anyhoo I’ve been noticing you’ve been planting some things near the fence and I just want you to know you might be infringing on my property the way they hang over the fence, not my complaint Dave! You know me, never a problem, haha no it’s her in doors was mentioning it while we watched our soaps on the telly”

basically I reckon he’s a cunt. 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 7