Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

I agree with Mark Douglas in that Parry's position should hopefully be untenable now. If indeed Liverpool and Manure had a big hand in his appointment, it seems he's tried to pay back their help in all too obvious ways. Parry clearly hasn't got too much going on between the ears, and he clearly hasn't read Machiavelli, the Art of War etc. The most annoying thing about this is that Parry will likely be the fall guy without Manure and Liverpool getting much blow back. Actually to be more accurate the most annoying outcome would be for them to be able shove everything through, and just wear all the bad PR like the shameless cunts that they are. With what the Premier League have said about it that seems very unlikely thankfully. The funny thing is that this plan sounds exactly like something Masters would be for, but he's obviously at least slightly more intelligent than Parry in that he knows the plan was too transparent, and that the PL can't afford much more negative publicity.

Rick Parry was the chief executive of Liverpool not so long ago. (And obviously still has their interests at heart).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howay said:

The fucking clip of this England starting line up man :lol: 3 right backs, and then Dier and Rice ffs. Complete fucking waste giving the talent coming through to Gareth Southgate and Aidy Bothroyd. 

Who could have predicted this complete lack of creativity or attacking movement?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Rick Parry was the chief executive of Liverpool not so long ago. (And obviously still has their interests at heart).

It's ridiculous that anyone in a position of power for a club is then allowed to take a position such as Parry did with the EFL. The problem is that there's no end to the corruption in football. The more you dig the more you find.

No need for Rice and Henderson? Belgium have overrun England for large parts of the first half. Without that extra cover you would have been completely steam-rolled. I do agree that Grealish should be starting over Mount though. The biggest weakness in this England team is it's lack of top class options in centre midfield, closely followed by the situation at centre back. It's completely lop sided with the options you have on the wing, attacking midfield, and to a certain extent up front.

1 hour ago, Howay said:

The fucking clip of this England starting line up man :lol: 3 right backs, and then Dier and Rice ffs. Complete fucking waste giving the talent coming through to Gareth Southgate and Aidy Bothroyd. 

There has to be a fair number of players with cockney connections in a team with a cockney as coach.

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

No need for Rice and Henderson? Belgium have overrun England for large parts of the first half. Without that extra cover you would have been completely steam-rolled. I do agree that Grealish should be starting over Mount though. The biggest weakness in this England team is it's lack of top class options in centre midfield, closely followed by the situation at centre back. It's completely lop sided with the options you have on the wing, attacking midfield, and to a certain extent up front.

Henderson is one of the best in the world at what he does. I don’t get the love for Rice, nor do I get the need to plays with two holding players when you have five at the back.  

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Henderson is one of the best in the world at what he does. I don’t get the love for Rice, nor do I get the need to plays with two holding players when you have five at the back.  

Who else do you have in centre mid who's at the same level of quality of Henderson? And again even with five at the back and two defensive centre mids it was backs to the wall at times. Maybe attack would be a better form a defence, but I don't think you have a strong enough team from back to front to play like that, at least with who's currently on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Who else do you have in centre mid who's at the same level of quality of Henderson? And again even with five at the back and two defensive centre mids it was backs to the wall at times. Maybe attack would be a better form a defence, but I don't think you have a strong enough team from back to front to play like that, at least with who's currently on the pitch.

That’s the point. He’s got the wrong players on the pitch. 

The problem is that there’s nobody in midfield with any forward ambition on the ball. Someone like Mount or Grealish will pass, move and drag the opposition around, freeing up space for the likes of Rashford. Instead, Rice just knocks it side to side. You might not lose many games with 8 defenders on the pitch but you’ll not make enough chances to win many.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

That’s the point. He’s got the wrong players on the pitch. 

You could definitely play a much less cautious team, but again I'm unconvinced you have enough in centre mid to stitch it all together even if you did. As the old cliche states it's all won in midfield.

Having Dier and Rice play together is completely pointless. Neither offers anything positive, and they don’t break up play particularly well. I’d rather see something like Henderson, Grealish, and Winks (swap out players depending on form and fitness). Southgate is just too terrified to have a go at teams that are in any way decent. Not saying I expect us to go out and control a game against a side like Belgium but at least have a bit of positivity ffs. 

4 minutes ago, Howay said:

Having Dier and Rice play together is completely pointless. Neither offers anything positive, and they don’t break up play particularly well. I’d rather see something like Henderson, Grealish, and Winks (swap out players depending on form and fitness). Southgate is just too terrified to have a go at teams that are in any way decent. Not saying I expect us to go out and control a game against a side like Belgium but at least have a bit of positivity ffs. 

Grealish is nowhere near a centre mid though. Number ten or out wide are his positions. He doesn't have the discipline or physical presence to play in centre mid. Again that's the main problem with the squad, too many attacking mids and wingers, not enough Henderson's, or playmakers, and defensive mids of the same level of quality as Henderson.

4 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Grealish is nowhere near a centre mid though. Number ten or out wide are his positions. He doesn't have the discipline or physical presence to play in centre mid. Again that's the main problem with the squad, too many attacking mids and wingers, not enough Henderson's, or playmakers, and defensive mids of the same level of quality as Henderson.

He’s played really well for a lot of games for Villa dropping into CM though. If he played Winks and Henderson as the pivots we could have Grealish in there to be more positive. Regardless it would be far better than playing two players (Rice and Dier) who simply aren’t up to par. 

14 minutes ago, Howay said:

He’s played really well for a lot of games for Villa dropping into CM though. If he played Winks and Henderson as the pivots we could have Grealish in there to be more positive. Regardless it would be far better than playing two players (Rice and Dier) who simply aren’t up to par. 

I haven't seen enough of him dropping deep for Villa to make a proper assessment, so I'll take your word for it. As for the game England were pretty fortunate with the deflection and Belgium seemingly taking the foot of the gas a bit in the second half. Although I might be being a bit unfair in terms of putting Belgium's relatively poor second half mostly down to them instead of England fighting their way back into it. Not sure how those two opposing things balanced out exactly.

• Like 1