Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

10 hours ago, Polarboy said:

It still all seems very weird. We're supposed to believe that Barca offered him the deal over five years, then suddenly realised that it would have left them up shit creek with the government/FFP and or their long term financial stability, he then offered to take a more than 50% cut, only to be told that it wasn't legal to do that in Spain, which in terms of wage laws you'd think the money men would have been instantly aware of before it was even floated as an idea. Either something else is going on, or Messi's agent and the finance people at Barca are running around like Benny Hill. 

I think there's also an element of arrogance, the belief that La Liga would compromise for Barcelona and for Messi. 

End of the day, this is an issue of their own making, £1bn in debt despite being arguably the biggest club on the planet and arguably the most revered academy on the planet, getting more money from their tv deals than the rest of the league. Decades of mismanagement, decades of throwing huge contracts at players, it's ridiculous. The attempt to grab more money in the Super League was an obvious and desperate attempt to kick the can down the round.

Re: the wage, he's the only player I can remember who has agreed to a 50% paycut to stay at the club, so it appears like he's loyal to Barcelona.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

I think there's also an element of arrogance, the belief that La Liga would compromise for Barcelona and for Messi. 

End of the day, this is an issue of their own making, £1bn in debt despite being arguably the biggest club on the planet and arguably the most revered academy on the planet, getting more money from their tv deals than the rest of the league. Decades of mismanagement, decades of throwing huge contracts at players, it's ridiculous. The attempt to grab more money in the Super League was an obvious and desperate attempt to kick the can down the round.

Re: the wage, he's the only player I can remember who has agreed to a 50% paycut to stay at the club, so it appears like he's loyal to Barcelona.

Regarding the supposed wage cut, as I was saying he was been given a five year contract at 34, which was realistically just all his wages from a two year deal over five years, and maybe a bit more on top. The fact that he was just given a two year at PSG backs that up to an extent. And Messi isn't a player you can compare someone else to, unless it's Ronaldo, and especially when it comes to wages. Barca have paid him hundreds of millions over his association with them. 

Edited by Polarboy

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Looks like there's a tracksuit top in this style too... would the over 50s get away with wearing one? Asking for a friend :lol:

Depends which over 50 year old is wearing it? :lol:

• Haha 3

I think Terry Mac has Lewy Body Dementia, which is horrific. 
It killed my uncle within 5 years, and put him through the mill in those last years. 
My heart goes out to Terry’s family and friends, as depending on how far along he is, they’ll have up to three months before they’ll lose the person they’ve known for good, then 5 years max before he’s dead. 

Fuck Lewy Body’s -it’s brutal. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58295318

• Sad 5

4 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

As was an Arsenal player.Were they injured or ‘injured’.Probably the latter.

They should be forced off the pitch to do a proper head examination assessment like they do in rugby.  It looked like he was out cold.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

As was an Arsenal player.Were they injured or ‘injured’.Probably the latter.

Wasn't an Arsenal player. Remember where you heard it first.

• Haha 3

You know when you watch Joelinton fall over the football and think, "I reckon I could be a professional footballer"

I just watched this video of Van Persie and 2 players I've never heard of and realised I couldn't be a professional footballer 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

You know when you watch Joelinton fall over the football and think, "I reckon I could be a professional footballer"

I just watched this video of Van Persie and 2 players I've never heard of and realised I couldn't be a professional footballer 

"Well done, they're 13."

the-enduring-greatness-of-neville-southall__01.jpg

• Haha 7

Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce could be forced to name four goalkeepers in his 25-man Premier League squad because of injury problems.

With Martin Dubravka and Karl Darlow both sidelined, third-choice keeper Freddie Woodman has played in the opening two games.

If Newcastle do have to register four goalkeepers in their squad, it could impact on potential new additions during the transfer window.

"It is unheard of," said Bruce.

"If we do a loan deal there is then no room in the squad without leaving somebody out. It's a difficult situation as well with finances."

The Magpies manager was speaking in the build-up to Wednesday's Carabao Cup second-round tie with Burnley.

Slovakia international and first-choice keeper Dubravka recently had foot surgery and is likely to be out for another eight weeks, with "no time limit" on his return.

"Unfortunately his wound got infected which is going to set him back another couple of weeks," Bruce continued.

The Magpies are also without second-choice Darlow, who is recovering from Covid-19.

"It's a case with Karl of seeing how his physical wellbeing is," said Bruce.

"In the past I've had a player who took at least six weeks to recover. We have just got to be patient."

Woodman, 24, has spent the past two seasons on loan at Swansea City but came in for the defeats against Aston Villa and West Ham.

Former Carlisle, Walsall and Motherwell keeper Mark Gillespie, 29, was on the bench for both matches.

I still don't get it. Why are we forced to name four goalkeepers in the squad because two of them are injured? Surely the one who looks like he's going to be out the longest gets left out of the squad until January?

• Like 4