Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

On 30/04/2022 at 17:03, Gemmill said:

There was another post where I said that it could be a good decision if they got a bounce but I'm trying to stay humble here. 

More caveats than a manc-fop-lite legal document 

• Haha 3

According to The S&n we are to offer Dummett a new contract.  I understand what people were saying about Longstaff.  Albeit, I would bin him.  But I don't get why we are offering a crock a new contract.

21 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

According to The S&n we are to offer Dummett a new contract.  I understand what people were saying about Longstaff.  Albeit, I would bin him.  But I don't get why we are offering a crock a new contract.

Surely not.

If Dummett can keep fit, he’s perfectly solid playing as a left-sided CB, I say. At least he’s dependable cover anyway. I think the likes of him and Longstaff are being retained so they can actually make some money off them down the line rather than losing them for nothing. Even if it’s a few million. 

As well, you’re probably losing Fernandez, Clark, Lewis, Manquillo (possibly) and Ritchie from the back line in the summer. Granted, Ritchie shouldn’t be playing there but still, giving Dummett an extra year to be a squad player makes a degree of sense.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

If Dummett can keep fit, he’s perfectly solid playing as a left-sided CB, I say. At least he’s dependable cover anyway. I think the likes of him and Longstaff are being retained so they can actually make some money off them down the line rather than losing them for nothing. Even if it’s a few million. 

As well, you’re probably losing Fernandez, Clark, Lewis, Manquillo (possibly) and Ritchie from the back line in the summer. Granted, Ritchie shouldn’t be playing there but still, giving Dummett an extra year to be a squad player makes a degree of sense.

Aye, if you look at Dummett's injury history he's had two bad injuries over the last couple of years that have kept him out for long spells. If we're offering him a new deal you'd have to think that the club believes he's over those and he's not a genuine sicknote.

• Like 1

I’m honestly not too fussed because apart from trusting the manager’s judgement you know any decisions aren’t being made purely out of tightness 

• Like 5

dummet would be a strange one to retain given how little he has played the past couple of years. not sure i'd be offering him more than another year, or where it leaves lewis. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

dummet would be a strange one to retain given how little he has played the past couple of years. not sure i'd be offering him more than another year, or where it leaves lewis. 

Cheap, homegrown, can deputise in a couple of positions and perhaps is well liked around the dressing room.

Worth keeping a bit longer.

• Like 1

This starts to feel like the issue is simply that we can't overhaul the whole squad overnight. They're not going to drop 500m in the summer to buy a whole new team. So ultimately, some of the "weaker" players will get new contracts for squad roles. That's fine  IMO.

Also Dummett isn't bad when fit.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2022/may/04/premier-league-signings-of-the-season-luis-diaz?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The guardian ranks the best signings of the season. Bruno comes in at number 9 which is fine until you realise the garbage that they've put ahead of him. Has Coutinho done more than Bruno has??

Bellends.

It looks like they've ranked them using their player ratings for every game during the season. The problem with that is that it was probably Louise Taylor ranking Bruno every time.

• Like 1

Its based on their whoscored rankings rather than the eye test which does go some way to explaining it...sort of

Why Trippiers 7.87 rating in his games for us doesn't put him at the top in that case though I do not know.