Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Aside from the fact he's claiming a 26 second video is 10 minutes, is he having a go at some bloke for getting in front of a camera phone, talking about a subject and then uploading it .... seriously? :lol:

• Haha 3

He’ll know the bloke is absolutely 100% spot on. He can post and as many crying laughing emoticons as he likes but it’s the truth and he’ll be wound up about it. He makes the likes of Wraith look professional. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

That happens to also be my first name, I don't want to be associated with that utter fucking plank. Shame, maybe I'll ask him if he can have it changed. 

Ok, Adam

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d never have had you down as a Sir John mind. 

Aal them doctors are forrin noo, man 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alex said:

He’ll know the bloke is absolutely 100% spot on. He can post and as many crying laughing emoticons as he likes but it’s the truth and he’ll be wound up about it. He makes the likes of Wraith look professional. 

wraith’s prodigy tbh 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Craig said:

Aside from the fact he's claiming a 26 second video is 10 minutes, is he having a go at some bloke for getting in front of a camera phone, talking about a subject and then uploading it .... seriously? :lol:

“20 hours shifts”?? :lol:  fuck off Colin Stagg 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It was a similar situation when some players didn't want to take the knee. Surely freedom of expression should be just that - the freedom to express if you so desire.

Ha, interesting one. I don't think it's a question about being braver - Gueye's stance on homosexuality won't define him as a person so he won't have been struggling with it every day of his life in the same way that Daniels might have in a football context. He made his statement for one day and then went back to living normally again. There's no question it takes more guts for Daniels to do what he did after a lifetime of possible stigma.

That said, bravery aside, Gueye can have his views. As long as he's still compassionate with individuals and isn't actively hating or causing harm to anyone - and as much as I disagree with him - I don't really see him as a problem. I think the concept behind his view is problematic socially - i.e. the notion that people should be 'disagreed with' on the basis of something that they can't change about themselves - this can only be damaging IMO. The battle we need to win there, and that we are winning tbh, isn't going to be achieved by lambasting a single Muslim footballer who isn't making a big statement and who probably doesn't think too hard about such things. But for consistency, I then have to acknowledge that it's the same for any Christians who feel the same way.

Not actively causing harm is the main thing, I think?

Hardcore religion is basically a disability, so Gueye has my full support in that respect. I hope he overcomes the obstacles facing him as a result of his lifestyle choices. :pray:

• Like 4

Tbh I've thought myself out of that view I think. We have a responsibility to act on information and evidence that is logical and well evidenced. That is something I fundamentally believe. If we cannot logically oppose a view, we should accept it until a better alternative comes along. This means that Gueye has either rejected the logical and well evidenced information that indicates that homosexuality is not a choice, in which case he should be criticised for it. Or he has determined that it's not a choice but that it's ok to oppose people for things they can't change about themselves. In which case he should be criticised for it since that's no different to racism.

The only possible wiggle room IMO is that he could claim that the rainbow flag represents some sort of political dimension and statement beyond simply attempting to advocate for the notion that homosexuality is acceptable, but I wouldn't be generous enough to grant him that interpretation unless he actually said it. And even then it's weak.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Freedom to express his religiously driven bigotry? 

Do you think we should force people to express opinion they clearly and fundamentally don't believe in? I'm not saying I agree with his opinion - far from it, but as Rayvin touches on - so long as he's compassionate to those who do express it, why should he be forced to do the same? 

He's not campaigning against it or anything like that is he, so what's the problem? You can't force someone to wear a symbol, or support something they don't believe in. Just as you shouldn't be prohibiting them from doing so. 

Freedom of expression should always be with respect to the place and culture you're living in, I don't see him abusing that in anyway, he's just doesn't want to be a part of it personally.