Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

3 hours ago, Howay said:

I read somewhere they’re getting £5m - £6m for their Cazoo shirt sponsorship, whereas Everton got nearly double :lol: that famous Steven Gerrard draw. 

Their advertising line “ Cazoo yeah you can!”, delivered in a brummie accent, is quite possibly the most vile phrase ever to despoil the English language. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

IMG-20220531-WA0008.jpg

Bollocks, can’t be genuine. The handwriting is legible. No way those fuckers are that educated 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, ewerk said:

They'll be playing in black and white stripes next.

Newsflash for you there mate

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Great read

Liked this in particular:

Then there is the cloak of death that is VAR draped over the game, just waiting to intervene. Even when it’s not used significantly, you can feel its weight, its presence. Here it ruled out Karim Benzema’s goal for something not visible with the naked eye which was far from clear and far from obvious. It makes the heart sink to know that football has been reduced to analysis by the VAR electron microscope. It isn’t possible to say this has made anyone feel happier, made the game better or made anything more fair. It has done the exact opposite of all of those things

8 hours ago, Dougle said:

Great read

Liked this in particular:

Then there is the cloak of death that is VAR draped over the game, just waiting to intervene. Even when it’s not used significantly, you can feel its weight, its presence. Here it ruled out Karim Benzema’s goal for something not visible with the naked eye which was far from clear and far from obvious. It makes the heart sink to know that football has been reduced to analysis by the VAR electron microscope. It isn’t possible to say this has made anyone feel happier, made the game better or made anything more fair. It has done the exact opposite of all of those things

I didn’t read it but that’s completely bollocks. Benzema was flagged offside by the linesman iirc so VAR just didn’t overturn that decision. Secondly it didn’t rule him offside because of something invisible to the naked eye it looked at something invisible to the naked eye in case that could rule him onside. Last, if a ref gets something wrong on the pitch which either gives or denies a goal then of course it’s a clear and obvious mistake.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Last, if a ref gets something wrong on the pitch which either gives or denies a goal then of course it’s a clear and obvious mistake.

Yes, but apparently not always used that way - see Chelsea, Liverpool, etc.  

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I didn’t read it but that’s completely bollocks. Benzema was flagged offside by the linesman iirc so VAR just didn’t overturn that decision. Secondly it didn’t rule him offside because of something invisible to the naked eye it looked at something invisible to the naked eye in case that could rule him onside. Last, if a ref gets something wrong on the pitch which either gives or denies a goal then of course it’s a clear and obvious mistake.

In a nutshell. If VAR didn't exist, Benzema's goal wouldn't have stood. It didn't overturn a thing. Look, I dislike Liverpool as much as the next person, but let's have some accuracy with regards to the application of VAR. Peddling this narrative, when inaccurate doesn't look good. 

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

In a nutshell. If VAR didn't exist, Benzema's goal wouldn't have stood. It didn't overturn a thing. Look, I dislike Liverpool as much as the next person, but let's have some accuracy with regards to the application of VAR. Peddling this narrative, when inaccurate doesn't look good. 

That's pretty much what I was saying.

• Like 1

fucked off for a few days in the van to escape the majestic queenies  birthday party thing and got home yesterday evening to find it was still dominating the tele. ended up starting to watch alex ferguson: never give in.

quite a decent documentary actually about his early life in glasgow, his short career at rangers ending seemingly due to his wife being catholic and his success with aberdeen, I was warming to him a bit.

then it moved to man utd and realty hit home and I was reminded why I hated the twat and switched it off.

shame about his haemorrhage, pleased he's recovered from it but he was and always will a whisky soaked, purple nosed scottish cunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There’s a lot to respect in Ferguson’s story…his biggest achievement is arguably breaking the duopoly of that pair of fuckin pantomime dames from Glasgow with Aberdeen….the way he treated officials always stuck in my throat though, “seeking to gain an advantage” to say the fuckin least …. I dare say Clough would’ve put him in the sane bracket as Revie teams’…

• Like 1