Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Who could forget Cab Calloway selling Hula Hoops? 

Well I'll tell you who. My lass. I was giving the "EAT! Don't Hula!" advice to her the other day and she didn't have a fucking clue. 

Forgot about that :lol: classic. Utterly bizarre too

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I'd love it if the league stepped in and said if it happens again, we're docking points. 

Anything to get them relegated even if a season late 🙂 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

All or nothing arsenal? Arsenal fans singing?

6ondg9.jpg

Listen, blokes your age can't afford to be sniffy when someone busts out a Status Quo chant. Get your marble wash double denim on, put the white hi tecs through the washer, and get the air guitar out. 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Listen, blokes your age can't afford to be sniffy when someone busts out a Status Quo chant. Get your marble wash double denim on, put the white hi tecs through the washer, and get the air guitar out. 

As a former member of the Quo army (in me youth) I used to resemble that remark, right down to the hand painted cut off Levi jacket.

(and I will maintain until my dying day that original lineup Quo were one of the greatest blues/rock bands ever, even though my now constant tinnitus is very likely largely down to them, the cunts).

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

As a former member of the Quo army (in me youth) I used to resemble that remark, right down to the hand painted cut off Levi jacket.

(and I will maintain until my dying day that original lineup Quo were one of the greatest blues/rock bands ever, even though my now constant tinnitus is very likely largely down to them, the cunts).

Did you go and see them with Rod Stewart and Joe Cocker at Gateshead Stadium. I remember being in a shop buying letraset to make fake IDs, and there was a bloke in there probably in his 50s getting his own t shirt printed with "ROD, JOE AND THE QUO" on the front. :lol:

• Haha 5

One of my early jobs was in a marble factory where they cnc’d slabs into kitchen worktops.

One of the directors was a bloke called Ian Jones, who it turned out used to manage Status Quo.

Here endeth the claim to fame

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Gemmill clearly suffering from PTSD from his days cowering behind the bar in Bliss. :cuppa:

21 minutes ago, strawb said:

One of my early jobs was in a marble factory where they cnc’d slabs into kitchen worktops.

One of the directors was a bloke called Ian Jones, who it turned out used to manage Status Quo.

Here endeth the claim to fame

I can get under that Quo claim to fame.

One my driver's father co-wrote In the Army Now and Margerita Time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Did you go and see them with Rod Stewart and Joe Cocker at Gateshead Stadium. I remember being in a shop buying letraset to make fake IDs, and there was a bloke in there probably in his 50s getting his own t shirt printed with "ROD, JOE AND THE QUO" on the front. :lol:

Nope, but Rod at SJP was an unexpectedly excellent gig (dragged there because of free tix from mate of the Mrs)

38 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I can get under that Quo claim to fame.

One my driver's father co-wrote In the Army Now and Margerita Time

Did he have two dads, because they were written by different folks 😉

9 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Did he have two dads, because they were written by different folks 😉

Well now you've made me go and Google him

So no In the Army Now, but a bit more involved that his son was making out

Bernard Frost (died 4 August 2019) was a British singer, guitarist and songwriter, best known for his near 30-year association with rock band Status Quo. Never an official group member, he co-wrote several of the band's biggest hits of the 1980s and multiple album tracks, adding backing vocals to many.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NJS said:

In the army now was the only decent song they ever did in my opinion - maybe they should have tried different ideas like that more often. 

Or maybe they shouldn’t have IMO 😉

38 minutes ago, NJS said:

In the army now was the only decent song they ever did in my opinion - maybe they should have tried different ideas like that more often. 

Their very early psychedelic rock effort Pictures of Matchstick Men was canny 

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

Their very early psychedelic rock effort Pictures of Matchstick Men was canny 

True  - perfectly parodied in This is Spinal Tap with the 60s flashback. 

• Haha 2