Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

23 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Apparently Americans are going mental because Lizzo played James Maddison’s flute. I want us to sign him even more now.

Lizzo:

"Bitch, I just twerked and played James Madison's crystal flute from the 1800s. We just made history tonight!"

59 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Australian international? He’ll probably end up being fuckin brilliant but only available for 2/3 of the season due to being fuckin knackered from all the travelling to and from the likes Guam and Bhutan for World Cup qualifiers :cuppa:

frustrated for real GIF by ZDF

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

Guam and Australia are both geographically in Oceania but they both are part of the Asian Football Confederation. I bet you all wanted to know that 

Guam trivia quiz: They were once managed by which NUFC alumnus?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

Guam and Australia are both geographically in Oceania but they both are part of the Asian Football Confederation. I bet you all wanted to know that 

waynes world wayne GIF

• Haha 3

:lol:

It was, of course, what Craig said. For five years, no less :o https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/former-northern-ireland-footballer-who-lived-in-guam-hopes-for-a-peaceful-solution-to-crisis-36020264.html

Though it's no wonder they're not much of a force on the world football scene if this is their squad...

gFVwaG.jpg

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Platini will forever remain an Olympic standard wanker but he was a fuckin great footballer :cuppa:

https://youtu.be/IU9S9oaa-AU

C3E27DA2-0641-46FF-9231-DCE3DB66B939.jpeg

I loved him as a player. I remember really looking forward to that tournament and seeing him and France off the back of Espana ‘82. He didn’t disappoint. Iirc he was the top scorer in Serie A three years running, playing for Juve, around that time. I know he took free kicks and pens but that’s pretty amazing for an attacking midfielder/ no. 10. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

I loved him as a player. I remember really looking forward to that tournament and seeing him and France off the back of Espana ‘82. He didn’t disappoint. Iirc he was the top scorer in Serie A three years running, playing for Juve, around that time. I know he took free kicks and pens but that’s pretty amazing for an attacking midfielder/ no. 10. 

I don’t remember anything of Euro 84 (just the semis & the final were on tv?? I was 15 but I think that summer was spent chasing girls from the next village of exceedingly easy virtue 😉) but I saw a comment on Facebook which said that Zidane would’ve struggled to get in the French side in 84 as their midfield was so well balanced which sort of inspired me to have a mooch on YouTube… Six, Tigana & Battiston were the others?

31 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I don’t remember anything of Euro 84 (just the semis & the final were on tv?? I was 15 but I think that summer was spent chasing girls from the next village of exceedingly easy virtue 😉) but I saw a comment on Facebook which said that Zidane would’ve struggled to get in the French side in 84 as their midfield was so well balanced which sort of inspired me to have a mooch on YouTube… Six, Tigana & Battiston were the others?

Aye. Le carre magique. But it was Giresse I think alongside Tigana, Platini and I’m not sure who else. I think all the games were on the telly though (unless I’m mistaken). England didn’t qualify (or any other home nation iirc). But it was the first time the Euros was expanded as a tournament proper - to 8 teams. I think it was a series of knockout qualifiers before that. I.e. just 4 teams made the finals straight into semis and then finals. Euro 80 was before my time though (I have vague memories of Allan Wells winning the Olympics in Moscow). The first tournament I can remember was the World Cup in Spain two years before. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Aye. Le carre magique. But it was Giresse I think alongside Tigana, Platini and I’m not sure who else. I think all the games were on the telly though (unless I’m mistaken). England didn’t qualify (or any other home nation iirc). But it was the first time the Euros was expanded as a tournament proper - to 8 teams. I think it was a series of knockout qualifiers before that. I.e. just 4 teams made the finals straight into semis and then finals. Euro 80 was before my time though (I have vague memories of Allan Wells winning the Olympics in Moscow). The first tournament I can remember was the World Cup in Spain two years before. 

Deschamps.