Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

18 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Were we? We were run day to day by a man entirely devoid of a backbone so I doubt we were pushing for anything, especially when, metaphorically speaking, you were in a different league to us. It would have been Lee Charnley choosing the path of least resistance.

Regarding our ownership we are owned 80% by PIF which is legally distinct from the Saudi government. But of course in reality there is no such distinction, just as there isn't between ADUG and the Abu Dhabi government.

I believe you were, but i'll go back to bluemoon and try and find the thread listing the clubs that signed the petition against us. But like i say it was different owners and i'm not one for grudges anyway. I've had a quick look and most references to newcastle are  praise and willing you up the table at the expense of our history rivals.

Didn't realise it wasn't 100%, who has the other 20%? 

I guess its difficult to know if Sheikh Mansour really owns ADUG or if he owns it on behalf of the government or his family. The press normally say our ownership is about 18b (his wealth) rather than the wealth of his family (around 1 trillion) or of the government. You'd think the press would pick the highest number if they could. Anyway i won't fallout with you over because i don't really care. Personally i think i'd prefer we were owned by his family.

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Were we? We were run day to day by a man entirely devoid of a backbone so I doubt we were pushing for anything, especially when, metaphorically speaking, you were in a different league to us. It would have been Lee Charnley choosing the path of least resistance.

Regarding our ownership we are owned 80% by PIF which is legally distinct from the Saudi government. But of course in reality there is no such distinction, just as there isn't between ADUG and the Abu Dhabi government.

Found it, United Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Chelsea Leicester Newcastle Wolves and Burnley all signed that letter, although to be fair i didn't realise that Mike Ashley could write so that might be wrong 😏 I always thought it odd that you guys signed it. the other thing you guys did that in retrospect you probably regret is voting for FFP. tbf you probably never envisaged you'd be the richest club in england back then.

As City fans, from that list,  we're struggling what to think of Burnley as they now have Kompany managing them. To love them or to loathe them hmmm.  Actually I only hate Liverpool, which is weird as i'm not usually the hateful type.

5 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Found it, United Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Chelsea Leicester Newcastle Wolves and Burnley all signed that letter, although to be fair i didn't realise that Mike Ashley could write so that might be wrong 😏 I always thought it odd that you guys signed it. the other thing you guys did that in retrospect you probably regret is voting for FFP. tbf you probably never envisaged you'd be the richest club in england back then.

As City fans, from that list,  we're struggling what to think of Burnley as they now have Kompany managing them. To love them or to loathe them hmmm.  Actually I only hate Liverpool, which is weird as i'm not usually the hateful type.

To be honest, I wasn't aware the club had signed the letter, it didn't even register with most fans. Given that we had no hope of European football it seems to have been an entirely pointless exercise.

I can only assume it was Lee Charnley (long since departed) going along with the 'big boys' or Mike Ashley choosing to be a cunt. Either scenario is perfectly possible.

I've never observed any significant ill feeling towards City from our fanbase, I think possibly because your success came at the expense of many clubs we genuinely didn't like.

Charnley and Ashley were entirely on their own path with what the club did anyway, you can fully consider the institution and the fans to be hostages in that situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

To be honest, I wasn't aware the club had signed the letter, it didn't even register with most fans. Given that we had no hope of European football it seems to have been an entirely pointless exercise.

I can only assume it was Lee Charnley (long since departed) going along with the 'big boys' or Mike Ashley choosing to be a cunt. Either scenario is perfectly possible.

Either way i honestly don't care ( although a lot on our forums do ). And you certainly don't need to defend the actions of the Ashley regime ( unless you were a fervent supporter of Ashley lol, you weren't were you ? )

I think most fans are sensible enough to be able to distinguish between the actions of clubs and fans. 

at the end of the day we didn't do anything wrong so were always going to be okay. 

we only failed FFP because they moved the goalposts. Liverpool have failed twice, once they weren't in europe so it didn't matter the next time they conjured up some stadium redevelopment costs that never materialised so little wonder we think the league and media are against us. i suspect they probably aren't and that it just takes time for opinions to change

2 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

at the end of the day we didn't do anything wrong so were always going to be okay. 

Didn't you? I always assumed you were up to some very dodgy sponsorship deals and accounting practices but never properly paid any attention to it. I'm not knocking you, just looking for tips. ;) 

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I've never observed any significant ill feeling towards City from our fanbase, I think possibly because your success came at the expense of many clubs we genuinely didn't like.

Charnley and Ashley were entirely on their own path with what the club did anyway, you can fully consider the institution and the fans to be hostages in that situation.

Thats partly why i stay around. there's no reason why City and United shouldn't be friendly yet competitively fierce rivals going forward. 

Makes me wonder what positive links we have?

Steve Howey, Keving Keegan, Andy Cole are the first three that come to mind

1 minute ago, LondonBlue said:

Thats partly why i stay around. there's no reason why City and United shouldn't be friendly yet competitively fierce rivals going forward. 

Don't forget Le Sib.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Didn't you? I always assumed you were up to some very dodgy sponsorship deals and accounting practices but never properly paid any attention to it. I'm not knocking you, just looking for tips. ;) 

Not sure if you know this but we have been pretty heavily scrutinized by a number of different sources. If anything had been found you can be pretty sure it would have been publicised. 

If we have done anything wrong I'm quite happy to gloss over it though.

10 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Oh and Trippier

Beardsley

Given

Stuart Pearce?

Distin?

Barton (sorry about that) - oh and he left to win stuff lol

That really fast winger with loads of attitude. Played under Sven i think.

Milner

Stevie Ireland?

4 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Beardsley

Given

Stuart Pearce?

Distin?

Barton (sorry about that) - oh and he left to win stuff lol

That really fast winger with loads of attitude. Played under Sven i think.

Milner

Stevie Ireland?

Bellamy

Hamann

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Don't forget both our clubs were sleeping giants, woken from our slumber by a mountain of arabian cash dumped on top of us.

sexy jennifer beals GIF

I can forgive the migrant worker deaths and persecution of homosexuals but surely PAYING that fucking England brass band to come to the WC is the biggest violation of human rights yet?

• Haha 4

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/11/04/leeds-told-pay-184m-striker-who-never-started-match/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1667570586

Leeds trying to pull a Sunderland/Ricky Alvarez.

They agreed to pay £18m for a loan player if they got promoted at the end of the 2020 season. They got promoted but it turns out he was shit so they are now tying to claim the deal doesn't count because COVID added 2 weeks to the length of the season and they were promoted on July 15th, not June 30th like the contract says :lol: 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/11/04/leeds-told-pay-184m-striker-who-never-started-match/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1667570586

Leeds trying to pull a Sunderland/Ricky Alvarez.

They agreed to pay £18m for a new player if they got promoted at the end of the 2020 season. They got promoted but it turns out he was shit so they are now tying to claim the deal doesn't count because COVID added 2 weeks to the length of the season and they were promoted on July 15th, not June 30th like the contract says :lol: 

CAS has ruled against them, they have to pay the full whack.

• Haha 1