Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

9 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Everton owner wants 500mill for the club. Not sure if that's a good price for a club with potential or a ripoff for a club that's in the doldrums with FFP and squad problems.

I know that inflation is through the roof but surely we should be the benchmark for the price of a PL club rather than Chelsea.

23 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Apparently Everton owner come out and said club isn't for sale.

Saying it’s up for sale or saying it isn’t are two sides of the same coin tbh. Utterly meaningless until a serious bidder comes along. Like Ashley with his patter about the club being back on or off the market. It’s  just to try and dampen down speculation in this instance.  

• Like 3

They've obviously got quality but;

• They're the only PL club still competing in 4 competitions
  • They've got the home leg against Barcelona 3 days earlier
  • They've got the game at Anfield after the Final
  • They looked open at the back against Forrest

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

They've obviously got quality but;

• They're the only PL club still competing in 4 competitions
  • They've got the home leg against Barcelona 3 days earlier
  • They've got the game at Anfield after the Final
  • They looked open at the back against Forrest

we’ll shit em

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

why? :lol: 

You were swimming in a pool of your own piss not so long ago, now you're out front of Team Positive, leading the charge. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You were swimming in a pool of your own piss not so long ago, now you're out front of Team Positive, leading the charge. 

It’s all evidence-based.

I was negative at the start of last season because we were devoid of ideas - even after Bruce was as axed.

It took a while for Howe to implement his ideas and I thought we would struggle to survive. That changed around feb/march when we beat Leeds and villa then put that run together. I’ve been pretty positive ever since. 

I’ve been hugely optimistic this season, again based on the evidence. We are unlucky to not to be unbeaten in the league this season. We should be but were robbed at Liverpool.

Admittedly we were lucky to escape with a draw at Brighton but that was at the start of the season before we hit our stride. One of the few blips apart from the FA cup exit and a couple of frustrating 0-0 draws. 

If we were more clinical I’d say we would have a chance of winning the league but arsenal have been annoyingly consistent and we have drawn too many games.  

The confidence comes because we are dominating most games in terms of possession and chances created. We just need to start taking more. Plus our defence is practically impenetrable. 

Man U could beat us in the final but I don’t see why we should fear them. We have nothing to lose. Fancy top 4 too. But even if we drop off, it doesn’t matter does it? This season is a resounding success whatever happens. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s all evidence-based.

I was negative at the start of last season because we were devoid of ideas - even after Bruce was as axed.

It took a while for Howe to implement his ideas and I thought we would struggle to survive. That changed around feb/march when we beat Leeds and villa then put that run together. I’ve been pretty positive ever since. 

I’ve been hugely optimistic this season, again based on the evidence. We are unlucky to not to be unbeaten in the league this season. We should be but were robbed at Liverpool.

Admittedly we were lucky to escape with a draw at Brighton but that was at the start of the season before we hit our stride. One of the few blips apart from the FA cup exit and a couple of frustrating 0-0 draws. 

If we were more clinical I’d say we would have a chance of winning the league but arsenal have been annoyingly consistent and we have drawn too many games.  

The confidence comes because we are dominating most games in terms of possession and chances created. We just need to start taking more. Plus our defence is practically impenetrable. 

Man U could beat us in the final but I don’t see why we should fear them. We have nothing to lose. Fancy top 4 too. But even if we drop off, it doesn’t matter does it? This season is a resounding success whatever happens. 

The season will be a roaring success even if we don't win the League Cup, don't finish in the Top 4. Because this is just the beginning. This season was expected to be one of transition from a midtable, stodgy team to something better. Nobody expected Top 4, nobody expected us to have one foot in the League Cup final. Other fans might be bitching about how much we've spent or how much of a shithouse team we are. 

Wait until they get a load of NUFC 23/24.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The season will be a roaring success even if we don't win the League Cup, don't finish in the Top 4. Because this is just the beginning. This season was expected to be one of transition from a midtable, stodgy team to something better. Nobody expected Top 4, nobody expected us to have one foot in the League Cup final. Other fans might be bitching about how much we've spent or how much of a shithouse team we are. 

Wait until they get a load of NUFC 23/24.

Fully agree. It’s also why we can approach it with confidence. We have nothing to lose 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Fully agree. It’s also why we can approach it with confidence. We have nothing to lose 

I have a distrust about being confident in Newcastle. Going to take a long time to get over that. 

I think we can beat Man Utd. I think they're still a little porous at the back and I think we're unbelievably resilient at the back. But I think they've got the quality and strength in depth that we don't. Isak might be the piece of the puzzle that means all these chances we're making get put back into the fucking net. But he might not.

End of the day, if we make it to the Top 4, and the League Cup final in Eddie Howe's first full season... well, holy shit.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I have a distrust about being confident in Newcastle. Going to take a long time to get over that. 

I think we can beat Man Utd. I think they're still a little porous at the back and I think we're unbelievably resilient at the back. But I think they've got the quality and strength in depth that we don't. Isak might be the piece of the puzzle that means all these chances we're making get put back into the fucking net. But he might not.

End of the day, if we make it to the Top 4, and the League Cup final in Eddie Howe's first full season... well, holy shit.

It’s kind of a Stockholm syndrome. We’re so used to being shit we’re hard wired to expect disappointment. That mindset is going to take a while to shift. But I’m going on what we’ve watched this season. We’ve barely been troubled apart from the games at Arsenal and Liverpool - we should have had a result at the latter. And we barely look like conceding. 

I genuinely think we’re better than Man U. Their supporters are in for a shock if they think we’re going to park the bus. Okay, they’re in good form we will have to respect them and it’ll be a big test but I’ve watched the odd game of theirs this season and I don’t see too much to fear. Could be a tight game but I fancy us. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yep - being objective about it, they have the better attack, we have a far superior defence. We need to break through them early and make them chase the game. 

That's if both of us actually get there :lol:

• Like 2

BTW I still struggling to get my head around the notion that NUFC have anything but a shambolic defence, let alone the best defence of all top 5 European leagues. 

It's absolutely unreal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

BTW I still struggling to get my head around the notion that NUFC have anything but a shambolic defence, let alone the best defence of all top 5 European leagues. 

It's absolutely unreal.

There was a bit on Tuesday where the commentator mentioned it would be hard to breach the team with the best defence in the country and on some level I was screaming "don't be fucking stupid, we can't be" with every fibre of my being... 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NJS said:

There was a bit on Tuesday where the commentator mentioned it would be hard to breach the team with the best defence in the Europe and on some level I was screaming "don't be fucking stupid, we can't be" with every fibre of my being... 

FtCP

• Like 1