Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Notification pops up.

Screenshot_20230126_133233_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6bf5a3e5ce5045743dba43e73a0a9868.jpg

Ah Duncan Ferguson must be going back to Evert... 

Screenshot_20230126_133333_Chrome.thumb.jpg.990d6ac2424d727e4adc60feb61e5c83.jpg

Ah no Forest Green Rovers. :lol:

Like A Boss Ship GIF

• Haha 5

Will Dyche have enough to keep these up? Bielsa wouldn't have, but he would have at least given them a platform to return. If Dyche doesn't keep them up this time, they'd have to replace him to come back as anything more than a plodding bottom half PL side. Which means another change of direction. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

dyche might keep them up tbf. not exactly a long term solution and it won't be pretty but he can organise a defence and make them hard to beat

Plus one or two will be a bit wary of him I'd imagine?

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

dyche might keep them up tbf. not exactly a long term solution and it won't be pretty but he can organise a defence and make them hard to beat

No chance IMO. I agree he's got the ability to organise but I think realistically, Everton need to be planning for a season in the Championship - the damage is already done. They have played and lost to too many teams around them and they've done no business in the transfer window.

With all due respect to Dyche, he's a lower-half PL / upper-half Championship manager and is representative of what Everton are as a club these days so a good fit. 

Some distance from the days when they had Ancelotti as manager. It was a huge coup for them.

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

No chance IMO. I agree he's got the ability to organise but I think realistically, Everton need to be planning for a season in the Championship - the damage is already done. They have played and lost to too many teams around them and they've done no business in the transfer window.

they are only two points from safety

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

they are only two points from safety

And their remaining fixtures are:

Arsenal (H) - 1st
Liverpool (A) - 9th
Leeds (H) - 15th
Villa (H) - 11th
Forest (A) - 13th
Brentford (H) - 8th
Chelsea (A) - 10th
Spurs (H) - 5th
Man Utd (A) - 4th
Fulham (H) - 7th
Palace (A) - 12th
Newcastle (H) - 3rd
Leicester (A) - 14th 
Brighton (A) - 6th
Man City (H) - 2nd
Wolves (A) - 17th
Bournemouth (H) - 18th 

Villa, Forest, Leicester Wolves and Bournemouth they may get something, the rest of the games though, I can't see it. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

Dyche's last five seasons at Burnley averaged 1.14PpG. To get to 36pts, Everton will need to get 1.17PpG. 0.43PpG more than their current 0.75PpG. 

Everton are conceding the most chances and Dyche might be able to fix that, but they're also failing to create many with only Bournemouth, Wolves and Palace that are worse. And I'm not sure that Dyche's Burnley were particularly good at fashioning chances. 

Avg xG = 1.09

Avg xGA = 0.89

Avg G = 0.97

Avg GA = 1.39

If he maintains his Burnley average (1.14), they'd end up on 35pts.

17 minutes ago, NJS said:

The cunts beat us, Chelsea and Man Utd to stay up last year like... 

Aye, but since then they've lost Richarlison who, despite being a cunt was pretty useful in that campaign. They replaced him with Maupay. 

25 minutes ago, NJS said:

The cunts beat us, Chelsea and Man Utd to stay up last year like... 

Genuinely, look at the fixtures Craig put up. They're going to need about 21pts from those games. I can't see it. 

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Genuinely, look at the fixtures Craig put up. They're going to need about 21pts from those games. I can't see it. 

I've edited it to put the current position of each opponent next to it. The last 2 games of the season could be interesting - Wolves & Bournemouth currently occupying the places directly above them. 

I reckon Southampton, Everton & Bournemouth will go. Wolves to escape by the skin of their teeth.

25 minutes ago, Craig said:

I've edited it to put the current position of each opponent next to it. The last 2 games of the season could be interesting - Wolves & Bournemouth currently occupying the places directly above them. 

I reckon Southampton, Everton & Bournemouth will go. Wolves to escape by the skin of their teeth.

I've got the same in my projection doodad.

I've weighted teams by GF and GA in home and away fixtures, plus their overall league position. Spits out doom for those three and Wolves to narrowly avoid relegation.

Next season I'll use xG as well, but this will do for now.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I don’t recall Dyche ever coming in mid season an doing a firefighting job. Despite looking like a firefighter.

And sounding like one who forgets to use the breathing apparatus 

• Haha 3