Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Tricky one this. The tapes are pretty damning. His sponsors all abandoned him. His teammates removed him from social media.  But he has been found not guilty. Not sure what Man Utd will do here. He is technically innocent now so in theory he should be welcomed back with big open arms.....

I thinks he’s not guilty in the same way Prince Andrew is not guilty :lol: 

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Will be tough to stomach if he scores the winner in the final

If it’s an own goal, I’ll take it 

Edited by Alex

This is pretty sick. He's clearly guilty as sin based on the tapes that were available for everyone to hear. There's no "context" that makes it anything other than sexual assault/rape. It's obviously the case that the victim has been coerced or otherwise dissuaded away from cooperating so the case falls apart. It's examples like these that contribute to the social stigma around victims and adds to the reluctance of such victims to report to police. That's not to be critical of the victim -- she's likely had her life ruined now and will have to walk around with the stigma of dishonesty upon her when she's the victim of rape. That's terrible. Perhaps amongst the most terrible things a person could possibly have to live with. I hope she has friends and family in her life who can take care of her.

Whether or not ManU play him is kind of besides the point entirely as there's a much larger issue at stake than football in such a public case. They'll probably play him. Let's be honest -- society at large will probably now likely broadly assume that he is innocent. We've already seen Gary Neville liking and retweeting all over the place like a complete twat. That's the average level of intelligence and empathy on display right there.

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 3

The issue could possibly be the misuse of evidence. I'm not a solicitor, I'm not sure if any of the regulars on here are now mancmag isn't around but I've read a bit about how video evidence pretty much becomes inadmissible once it's been plastered on social media due to the concerns of a prejudiced trial. 

The evidence to me appeared quite damning but if the CPS have decided it's not concrete enough for whatever reason, then that is why the charges are dropped. 

As for 'society at large will probably now likely broadly assume that he is innocent' well by the letter of the law he was always innocent until proven guilty - which hasn't happened. I get the point you're making though. 

• Like 1

Police have confirmed that he breached his bail conditions several times by contacting her, and they did nothing about it.

They're now back together, she has dropped the charges.

This couldn't be more typical of failed abuse prosecutions in the UK if it tried to be. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

This will kick off

I sincerely hope it does.

the justice system in this country is fucked.

caroline flack took her own life because the cps insisted on pursuing a case against her for a relatively minor assault, despite the insistence of her boyfriend that he didn't want to press charges. there wasn't even close to the damning evidence against her that would warrant a prosecution without a key witness that there is in yhe case of greenwood 

we all saw the video, you can only assume it's now been dismissed as some kind of elaborate hoax, or money talks. but either way it's fucking unbelievable. 

• Like 1

You would have to hope that Manutd find someway to cancel his contract without payijg him, or worst case have to pay him out. The stink of what he did doesn't disappear because they're now married/together and she'll no longer be a witness to the abuse.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.facebook.com/Hasrobson/&ved=2ahUKEwjF2f_joPj8AhUStmMGHULwBiIQFnoECBIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1cn3ThZ9V6eGxspaZXQ6q2

A while since I was a criminal lawyer in Newcastle, but (and I haven't seen it) if there is video evidence, the fact that someone does not want to pursue a complaint doesn't, of itself, mean that the case has to be dropped. 

Certainly, it makes life more difficult for the CPS, and the fact that it has apparently been plastered all over social media does allow arguments about the inability to get a fair trial, but if all you had to do was plaster the evidence against you all over social media, then nothing would ever get prosecuted.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

A while since I was a criminal lawyer in Newcastle, but (and I haven't seen it) if there is video evidence, the fact that someone does not want to pursue a complaint doesn't, of itself, mean that the case has to be dropped. 

Certainly, it makes life more difficult for the CPS, and the fact that it has apparently been plastered all over social media does allow arguments about the inability to get a fair trial, but if all you had to do was plaster the evidence against you all over social media, then nothing would ever get prosecuted.  

You were a criminal lawyer? Is that why you were deported to the Antibides? :cuppa:

• Haha 5