Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Really good yeah. You could tell their mentality, bravado and spirit had got them a long way every time you saw them play, they didn’t respect reputations and it’s really interesting to read that they thought they could win before the game…. they actually put us out of the cup the season before(?) Vinnie Jones was fuckin immaculate that day, marked Gazza out of the game :cuppa:

At that point in his career Gazza could run all day but so could Jones. He wasn’t quite the sane athlete in his second spell, post-Leeds, at Wimbledon. I read once Jones was devastated Wilkinson discarded him after Leeds got promoted as he’d been excellent for them in the second tier. Maybe he lost his desire a bit after that too? 

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

At that point in his career Gazza could run all day but so could Jones. He wasn’t quite the sane athlete in his second spell, post-Leeds, at Wimbledon. I read once Jones was devastated Wilkinson discarded him after Leeds got promoted as he’d been excellent for them in the second tier. Maybe he lost his desire a bit after that too? 

Yeah, he went to Sheff Utd where Dave Basset had ended up . He’s still loved at Leeds, tbf I think that 1990 promotion side all are. He was replaced by Gary Macallister though, not sure why he was too put out by that tbh. But I suppose that sort of humility wouldn’t have got him into Hollywood? :lol: 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah, he went to Sheff Utd where Dave Basset had ended up . He’s still loved at Leeds, tbf I think that 1990 promotion side all are. He was replaced by Gary Macallister though, not sure why he was too put out by that tbh. But I suppose that sort of humility wouldn’t have got him into Hollywood? :lol: 

Aye McAllister was class for them and generally underrated. The other thing is those were the very early days of a second substitute and it was much less of a squad game them. Didn’t Leeds win the league the season after they were promoted too? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Really good yeah. You could tell their mentality, bravado and spirit had got them a long way every time you saw them play, they didn’t respect reputations and it’s really interesting to read that they thought they could win before the game…. they actually put us out of the cup the season before(?) Vinnie Jones was fuckin immaculate that day, marked Gazza out of the game :cuppa:

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye McAllister was class for them and generally underrated. The other thing is those were the very early days of a second substitute and it was much less of a squad game them. Didn’t Leeds win the league the season after they were promoted too? 

I thought our name might've been on the cup that year as I was young and naive and we had a decent side and should've been good enough to give it a go, we did finish 8th. Gutted when these put us out at home. McAllister was very underrated and probably still would be had he not had a spell at Liverpool which instantly makes him more worthy for some strange media reasons, even going back to his Leicester days he had that but of class. Leeds won the title in their second season back up. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I remember having the piss taken out of me at school when Leeds won the league.

NOT LAUGHING NOW EH???

When do Yorkshiremen actually laugh?

• Haha 2

Just seen this on FB.  Not bad.  The two trophies belong to the guy who's just been relegated too :lol: 

10 years ago, Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy were sitting on Leicester City’s bench in the Championship.

They now have 349 Premier League goals between them, four golden boots, a Premier League title, FA Cup trophy and 108 England caps

350945257_133950639695103_7822125089614361617_n.jpg

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Alex said:

Indeed :smile:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gemmill said:

This is awful.

Was he shit in the final?  Not saying he should have this done to him like.  

People will all shout it's Jose that's done this.   But look at the actions of Klopp & Playmobil heed week in week out.  They get fuck all punishment. 

• Like 4

I thought he was alright. Mourinho should be looking at the behaviour of his players before he looks at the ref, they made it a really difficult game to ref with the usual antics.

The big issue is probably that he ordered the deciding penalty in the shootout (which Sevilla had missed) be retaken for encroachment. Which is pretty unusual and then when that kick wins the trophy I can see how that sets people off. He had also booked a bunch of people on the Roma bench by this stage.

But again it's because people around Mourinho feel empowered to act without discipline cos he's such a cunt himself.

• Like 4

Keepers aren’t allowed a cunt hair off the line anymore by the rules.

Which if you have played in goal is fucking stupid, you have to move forward to dive left and right otherwise you get no distance.

Decision made by people who never played, again. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Just seen this on FB.  Not bad.  The two trophies belong to the guy who's just been relegated too :lol: 

350945257_133950639695103_7822125089614361617_n.jpg

19 years ago, Shola Ameobi and Alan Shearer were sitting on Newcastle United’s bench.

They now have 303 Premier League goals between them, three golden boots, a Premier League title, an Intertoto Cup and 63 England caps

Screenshot 2023-06-02 092143.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

It was a big ask for anyone to come in with 4 games to go, but surely an impossible task for a manager whose style is diametrically opposed to the available players?

Leeds' owners shouldn't have let Bielsa go, and sure as shit shouldn't have appointed someone like Allardyce. Should have just given it to a Leeds legend until the end of the season, like Michael Brown or El Hadji Diouf

• Haha 5