Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

I see the Premier League players have agreed to club together and donate £4mil to charity rather than take a 30% wage cut.

Being cynical...

20 x premier league clubs

25 x players per first team squad 

= 500 players in the premier league 

£4mil / 500 players = £8000 each

A days wage for most of them. 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

3 hours ago, strawb said:

Has anyone else donated a days wage?

Do you really think it’s comparable? I take the point about them being made scapegoats because they’re an easy target but they haven’t exactly helped themselves with a fairly empty gesture

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Southampton leading the way. All first team

players, coaches and directors have taken a pay cut so that the rest of the clubs employees can receive a full time wage for the foreseeable future. 

EFL Clubs did that two weeks ago.  IIRC Leeds United did it first.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Do you really think it’s comparable? I take the point about them being made scapegoats because they’re an easy target but they haven’t exactly helped themselves with a fairly empty gesture

Yeah I do. 

They are all PAYE employees who pay loads in tax already and now they are making a charitable donation as a group.

The fact clubs are furloughing non playing staff and not players sticks in my craw a bit but that’s not the players decision it’s the clubs.

Lets see if other multimillionaires club together and donate their money on top of the taxes they probably don’t pay. 

Footballers are the easiest of targets.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, strawb said:

Yeah I do. 

They are all PAYE employees who pay loads in tax already and now they are making a charitable donation as a group.

The fact clubs are furloughing non playing staff and not players sticks in my craw a bit but that’s not the players decision it’s the clubs.

Lets see if other multimillionaires club together and donate their money on top of the taxes they probably don’t pay. 

I won’t mention the totally coincidental fact that a lot of these lads are working class, or black, or both. 
Curious that Hancock isn’t asking his white, upper-class paymasters working in banking and finance, who’ll be raking in similar eye-bleeding amounts in wages, to even think about contributing anything. 

Total coincidence though. ;)

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I won’t mention the totally coincidental fact that a lot of these lads are working class, or black, or both. 
Curious that Hancock isn’t asking his white, upper-class paymasters working in banking and finance, who’ll be raking in similar eye-bleeding amounts in wages, to even think about contributing anything. 

Total coincidence though. ;)

No instead they will fucking bail out their airlines of maybe give Dyson a job of making ventilators etc.

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Yeah I do. 

I mainly agree, apart from a day’s wages meaning as much to them. I’ve already said the owners are the ones taking the piss. And like MF alludes to, rugby players aren’t being mentioned. I know it’s not as popular or has comparable revenues but I doubt that’s the only reason 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Tbf to Hancock, his initial comment was answering a question the press put to him. 

Do you know what the original question was? 
If, as I suspect, it was along the lines of “should Premier League footballers take a pay cut to cover their lesser-paid club colleague’s wages” then he could’ve said

” That’s not really for me to say, I’m the Health Secretary”

He could have. There’s a middle ground to this argument though.

It stinks that clubs are furloughing staff and the multimillionaire players at the clubs haven’t lost a penny despite not actually working for a living currently. A month down the line, after a load of media pressure, they offer a days wages and then shit on about it all over social media like they’ve just cured cancer 

You’re not entirely wrong mate, I mostly agree with you, but I fail to see how the it’s the responsibility of PL footballers to cover their colleagues wages, when it should have been the responsibility of their mutual employer. 
More to the point, I fail to see why people can’t see that they’re being used as outrage sponges to deflect anger away from the Govt’s criminal handling of this crisis. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He could have. There’s a middle ground to this argument though.

It stinks that clubs are furloughing staff and the multimillionaire players at the clubs haven’t lost a penny despite not actually working for a living currently. A month down the line, after a load of media pressure, they offer a days wages and then shit on about it all over social media like they’ve just cured cancer 

:lol: nicely put 

Following the above argument, shouldn’t Rees Mogg and his elite MP chums be paying the costs of the less well-off MPs to avoid this kind of fucking joke? 
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/mps-given-an-extra-10000-to-work-from-home/09/04/?fbclid=IwAR1x-OQ3GgJmCaGdqmIq1EOf5eCcdYeXZ3jezApGcMsFY845AuB06aqHDcA