Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

Homophobia justified by Christianity is pretty suss when, if you believe the Bible, I don’t think Jesus even makes reference to homosexuality. It’s not like these same people are sticking to everything else in Leviticus 

Very true - pretty sure I can also remember some fairly important sections about not judging people, treating your neighbour well, and just trying to live a good life. All things that those in the US evangelist scene (along with Gavin Peacock apparently) fail to do.

Edited by Rayvin

4 hours ago, zico martin said:

I've always thought this would be the fairest option so fingers crossed like.  All winners no losers like

What’s struck me is that clearly none of them had a pre-determined cancellation plan/clause that teams signed up to when they agree to abide by the League’s rules. 
I this find genuinely surprising. 

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Very true - pretty sure I can also remember some fairly important sections about not judging people, treating your neighbour well, and just trying to live a good life. All things that no one in the US evangelist scene (along with Gavin Peacock apparently) all fail to do.

This last bit just gave me dyslexia. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

This last bit just gave me dyslexia. :lol:

My bad, I changed it halfway through writing it and apparently broke it completely :lol: Fixed now.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

What’s struck me is that clearly none of them had a pre-determined cancellation plan/clause that teams signed up to when they agree to abide by the League’s rules. 
I this find genuinely surprising. 

It will be for the next version of the rules and probably never be needed again.  As long as they don't forget the provision which says that the Mackems can never be promoted #Magedia

• Haha 1

MotD has a 'best player to not play for the top 6' thing. Where do you even start on it? :lol:

Gary Speed and David Batty are on it despite playing for top 6 sides, us, Leeds and Blackburn. (Maybe Everton?). Ian Wright's comment on Speed? Couldn't believe he never played for a top 6 side. He's got a point, can't believe he didn't play for 3rd division Man City instead of champions Leeds and European placed NUFC. Rob Lee isn't on the list which by my reckoning is correct, he clearly played for a top 6 side, by their reckoning we're not a top 6 side so how the fuck Jay Jay Okacha and Tim Cahill for example are above him defies belief. :lol:

I know it's only a bit of fun, but ha'way man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

That sounds fucking mental. Did they justify the top 6 thing, is it maybe that they mean current top 6 for some inexplicable reason?

Well Jamie vardy is in it and he won the league a few years ago, his team are sitting third as it stands. It's total fucking nonsense.

• Haha 3

On 5/3/2020 at 03:21, Howay said:

Got it, I was taking it that the PL wasn’t part of the discussion since there’s that football league and PL split, so I had it that the 3 would have been relegated from the PL. It’s going to be mad like. I suppose it’s trying to have as many people at the top table as possible.

So it’ll likely mean that PL tv money is more spread out, which I think is good for our potential new owners as it’ll likely lower the player market a bit. 

I would have thought it would make sense to promote the two in the automatic places of the championship, promote 2 from League 1, 3 from League 2 given Bury's exclusion? You'd have 22 in the Premier League, 24 in the Championship, 24 in League 1 and 24 in League 2 after a 1 off play off for promotion from the National League?

Given the fixture congestion we've already had this season then I think it's madness to expand the Premier League by another couple of teams, especially when the season isn't likely to kick off until September and can't be extended because of the Euros.

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Given the fixture congestion we've already had this season then I think it's madness to expand the Premier League by another couple of teams, especially when the season isn't likely to kick off until September and can't be extended because of the Euros.

The only other option is relegate teams, which isn't fair unless they're already mathematically down. It would surely create legal problems up and down the leagues.

An extra 2 fixtures per team is doable in the Premier League, but the thing I suggested would mean the lower leagues have the same number of games that they'd normally have. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I would have thought it would make sense to promote the two in the automatic places of the championship, promote 2 from League 1, 3 from League 2 given Bury's exclusion? You'd have 22 in the Premier League, 24 in the Championship, 24 in League 1 and 24 in League 2 after a 1 off play off for promotion from the National League?

Aye, I think if you go that route it makes more sense to only promote the ones in automatic places. They’re probably trying to cover all their bases and make as many happy as possible, as the team in 3rd would possibly argue they were close to 2nd, but tbh then 4th will have the same argument, so who knas. 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

This. Theres zero guarantee there will be any football this calander year, social distancing is impossible. Regular football matches in winter could be a disaster.  They should just finish off this season next year, maybe restart the cup competitions.

19 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why isn't relegation fair? Games played at neutral grounds don't give either side an advantage.

Because if it isn't mathematically sure, then it shouldn't be forced upon a team. Watford, West Ham and Bournemouth are split by 0pts and 3 goals. There's no way you can say that any of them deserve to drop more than the other two.

If Relegation was purely an abstract, it wouldn't matter, but relegation to the Championship would be financially catastrophic for the likes of West Ham. The type of loss that would not go without challenge if the cause was unfair.

20 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Because if it isn't mathematically sure, then it shouldn't be forced upon a team. Watford, West Ham and Bournemouth are split by 0pts and 3 goals. There's no way you can say that any of them deserve to drop more than the other two.

If Relegation was purely an abstract, it wouldn't matter, but relegation to the Championship would be financially catastrophic for the likes of West Ham. The type of loss that would not go without challenge if the cause was unfair.

But it’s not unfair. All teams are playing under the same circumstances.

35 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But it’s not unfair. All teams are playing under the same circumstances.

Absolutely, I don’t get this idea promotion, crowning people champions etc is fair but relegation isn’t. Well, I get why ‘football people’ are saying that. You either play the games (somehow), have some formula that applies equally to everyone or you void the season. There are other options of course but those are the only ones that make sense if you’re genuinely wanting to be fair and not just thinking about the bottom line. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Brighton wouldn’t be happy if games are going to be played a neutral grounds because they have 5 home games to play and 4 away.

Seriously,how many fans are the police expecting to turn up if games are going to be held behind closed doors? Why would you go to SJP if you knew you wouldn’t get in.

24 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Brighton wouldn’t be happy if games are going to be played a neutral grounds because they have 5 home games to play and 4 away.

Seriously,how many fans are the police expecting to turn up if games are going to be held behind closed doors? Why would you go to SJP if you knew you wouldn’t get in.

34 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

They’ve also won one in their last eight matches at home.