Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today just a year ago I was making the dream of my life come true and I was able to meet you   (Yes... I was the first to enter the stadium)  

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Alex said:

No way was Rooney more technically gifted 

depends on how you define technically gifted, i suppose. shearer was the best crosser of the ball for a lot of his time at the club, and was the better finisher, but rooney was the better passer and dribbler. 

Better dribbler although that was soon coached out of his game. Shearer could do just about everything else better or as well before the Everton injury. Immaculate first touch, great shooting in open play from set pieces, better header of the ball. In terms of his technique he’s underrated. That’s not a pop at Rooney. Actually take the two at their best and they’d have been an unbelievable partnership. I always felt Rooney was / should’ve always been a no 10

That friendly against Argentina where Rooney played as a second striker / in the hole. Riquelme played in the same position for them. Riquelme was easier on the eye but Rooney was better doing everything quickly with the minimum of fuss. Not like later in his career when he slowed play down too much and wanted to spray the ball 50 yards. Reminded me of a serie a game I saw years ago. Ortega played as Parma’s no 10 and Boban played there for Milan. Every time Ortega got the ball he had about 5 touches and tried to beat a man before releasing the ball. Boban did everything one or two touch and was superbly effective by comparison. Milan won 

17 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

“ He’s our best defender” was a very commonly stated phrase when Shearer was playing for us. 
Not saying he was Ronaldo, but he was so much more than “just” a goal scorer. 

He was fast before his injuries caught up with him. Not lightning quick but if he got the wrong side of the defender, they were fucked. 

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

Better dribbler although that was soon coached out of his game. Shearer could do just about everything else better or as well before the Everton injury. Immaculate first touch, great shooting in open play from set pieces, better header of the ball. In terms of his technique he’s underrated. That’s not a pop at Rooney. Actually take the two at their best and they’d have been an unbelievable partnership. I always felt Rooney was / should’ve always been a no 10

Even then Rooney's ability to get past a man wasn't like Ben Arfa or Messi. It was a quick movement then a burst of acceleration, coupled with good strength and low centre of balance. Like you reference in the comparison between him and Riquelme, he would choose the option that was more efficient. 

Agree that Rooney and Shearer would have worked well together, even if that meant Rooney would score fewer goals.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

He was fast before his injuries caught up with him. Not lightning quick but if he got the wrong side of the defender, they were fucked. 

Aye, you really notice it in some of the Southampton/Blackburn clips you see in particular. Not that he was a slouch for us, but christ, if we'd been able to get him even one year earlier... 🙈

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Like a new signing. 

Given his age, this is completely against previous club policy, and if you think that he would have got a new contract if Rafa was still there, you're dreaming.

Not that I have anything against Clark as a player, as he has been playing pretty well in a shite team, but this is worrying because Penfold is clearly still fully backing the Cabbage, when he should be looking for a replacement.  

I like Clark, he's the kind of "get stuck in" type defender you need near the bottom, but I do get the feeling that he's the sort of player that if he stays in our first XI we'll always be limited to the bottom 6 clubs, a general mentality and ability combination. I say this as if there's a grand plan for us to push up the league, but still!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Alex said:

He only looks like the best of the bunch because he’s an old-fashioned centre-half in a struggling, disorganised defence tbh

He’s an old fashioned centre half who have all but gone out the game.We defend so much he’s the type of defender we rely on.If we had decent defensive midfield players ,and two fullbacks who could defend ,we only have Dummitt,we could look to play with a better ‘footballing’ central defender.We’re a long way off that.The option is to play TOT. No thanks.

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

One of the more pleasant surprises in recent years where signings have been concerned at the very least. Everyone was writing him off but he’s been perfectly solid for the most part. Always good for a couple of goals a season up the other end too.

Like Big Andy,he wants to win headers in both boxes.That’s why they stand out.We don’t have much else in our locker if you take Wilson out of the equation.

• Like 1