Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

FWIW, when Richards started doing his punditry I enjoyed it. He was a breathe of fresh air.  But now, he seems like he has to do that laugh all the time and it's forced.  He just seems to be well over the top now. 

19 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Miguel's off to the WC draw but he doesn't want any lip from the likes of you lot, capice? :mad:

He could easily report on the draw from home, it'll be on tv. What worthwhile insight is he going to get out in the sun or from his lovely hotel room on company dollar...oh right.  

• Like 4

See, if he was going for the actual event, I can kind of understand it. He can report on the things unseen, talk to the bottom of the rung workforce, talk to minority groups whose lives have been made unbearable by the Qatari regime, against the backdrop of this gaudy celebration of wealth, plurality and inclusivity.

But this is the World Cup draw. What the fuck is he going to learn from this? Apart from which teams are in which groups?

• Like 2

He’s not actually interested in the human rights argument which is why his article on Man United being taken over by PIF didn’t mention it once.

• Like 5

Just now, The Fish said:

See, if he was going for the actual event, I can kind of understand it. He can report on the things unseen, talk to the bottom of the rung workforce, talk to minority groups whose lives have been made unbearable by the Qatari regime, against the backdrop of this gaudy celebration of wealth, plurality and inclusivity.

But this is the World Cup draw. What the fuck is he going to learn from this? Apart from which teams are in which groups?

I could be wrong here, but I wouldn't have thought the Qatari's would let the media anywhere near anyone who could paint the regime in Doha in a bad light...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

I could be wrong here, but I wouldn't have thought the Qatari's would let the media anywhere near anyone who could paint the regime in Doha in a bad light...

Hasn't stopped journalists getting to critics of a regime in the past. Some journalists have paid a high price for getting a story in the past mind you.

200.gif

Sky Sports have been airing and giving plenty coverage to one of the head Qataris who is basically having a pop at Southgate and pretty much writing off every negative thing said about Qatar as bullshit/media spin and that he should come and see Qatar himself before believing any of it. 

It’s funny to me how these reporters talk about sportswashing, but then will show an uninterrupted, and at least for the clips uploaded on line without any critical comment/opinion, speech by a very eloquent man which in isolation sounds very fair and reasonable. I looked at the comment section and sure enough there was a lot of “he’s spot on, these European countries did worse for years who are they to judge now” and “exactly you shouldn’t pass judgement unless you go and see it with your own eyes”. But sure Miguel, keep telling us all how journalists are somehow exempt from this sportswashing thing rather than imo the biggest enablers of it. 

I’m sure he will add in some colour about how there’s negatives to this WC, but like others say why the fuck would he go? By going he’s actively engaging in the project to the same level as any of the players/managers etc, arguably more so as the players/manager actually miss out on opportunities/face consequences by refusing to go, I’m fairly sure fuck all would change for him besides not getting an all expense paid trip. 

He also says he doesn’t pass comment on fans, I took a look at some of his recent posts and one was listing the countries who have sold the most tickets for WC games up to this point, it was of course without comment by him which gives him cover in future but it’s clear he’s trying to highlight something about the fans of countries listed (England and USA were two listed).

Edited by Howay
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Sounds like Everton are gonna have to sell DCL or Richarldson to balance the books

And the rest when they go down.

@Gemmill they are going down, right?

• Like 1

:lol: Sure Miguel, doing a really good job of holding them to task so far. He also is posting pictures about how good everything looks, but yeah something about it being important they can’t sportswash is his reason for being there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Sure Miguel, doing a really good job of holding them to task so far. He also is posting pictures about how good everything looks, but yeah something about it being important they can’t sportswash is his reason for being there. 

The media are utterly essential for any sportswashing project and he must realise this...hes the same as the rest of us, he's fucked if  he's making a stand, his life's too good... and I'm fucked if I'm jacking my ST because we might win the league cup :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Howay said:

What a shameless cunt :lol: 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

What a shameless cunt :lol: 

"....and then he said 'they don't like western pundits based here aggressively defending the country'..... Honestly, Graysy, I'm still laughing now!"

n-ANDY-GRAY-RICHARD-KEYS-CLARE-TOMLINSON

• Like 1
  • Haha 1