Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

Personally think this is a swing and a miss from Douglas. It’s putting too much weight on the high finish we got and leaves out a crucial point of why Pardew wasn’t accepted, and why I personally won’t look back on Pardew’s time “very fondly”, which was the manner of his appointment. It was a gut punch to the fans, a popular manager was removed for no fucking reason and replaced by a man who had no right to get a PL job. It felt like Ashley yet again being spiteful towards the fans as there was a good atmosphere and feeling from the fans towards Hughton and that squad.

I look back on that 5th place season and really enjoyed it at the time, but I don’t really look back fondly at it. Not because I’m deluded and was expecting more, but because it was pretty much peak Ashley - from the manner of Pardews appointment, to the complete disregard and lack of desire to build on that 5th place finish which led to immediate decline in the squad and atmosphere. A lot of those players also left the club in ways that left my feelings towards them a little sour, I understand why some of them did it from their view and I don’t think they owe us anything but it still soured my opinion of them. For example seeing Ba suddenly being our cheerleader and trying to get to events/matches etc. 

• Like 5

I couldn't care less if there are ex-players and managers out there who're now trying to find some coat tail to grab on to. Let 'em, I don't care. I'm sure Man City, Liverpool and the rest have all seen players wheeled out whose link to, or time with the club was janky at best. 

I'm more bothered about the rewriting of Pardew's history. It wasn't inexplicable, our dislike of him. Us being 9th on his final game was irrelevant. It was the awful football, the smarmy attitude, the excuses and criticisms and, yes, cosying up to Ashley. 

He praises the fans with one breath then shows a total misunderstanding of us in the next. I'm sure Bruce will, at some point in the future, turn up in the Sky Sports studios as a pundit for our game against Man Utd. "Ah well, y'know, great fans, nothing but positive to me on the streets, wish them well, but that should have been a penalty to United and Giggseh will need them to dust themselves down and roll up their sleeves"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Personally think this is a swing and a miss from Douglas. It’s putting too much weight on the high finish we got and leaves out a crucial point of why Pardew wasn’t accepted, and why I personally won’t look back on Pardew’s time “very fondly”, which was the manner of his appointment. It was a gut punch to the fans, a popular manager was removed for no fucking reason and replaced by a man who had no right to get a PL job. It felt like Ashley yet again being spiteful towards the fans as there was a good atmosphere and feeling from the fans towards Hughton and that squad.

I look back on that 5th place season and really enjoyed it at the time, but I don’t really look back fondly at it. Not because I’m deluded and was expecting more, but because it was pretty much peak Ashley - from the manner of Pardews appointment, to the complete disregard and lack of desire to build on that 5th place finish which led to immediate decline in the squad and atmosphere. A lot of those players also left the club in ways that left my feelings towards them a little sour, I understand why some of them did it from their view and I don’t think they owe us anything but it still soured my opinion of them. For example seeing Ba suddenly being our cheerleader and trying to get to events/matches etc. 

He’s spoken fondly about us and with some sincerity I think. But I think he had a very good set of players and found a system that worked and that Cisse’s incredible purple patch provided the icing on the cake / led to the strong finish. There was a bit of a perfect storm of other teams / usual CL contenders not having a great season too.  He was far too much of a lickspittle to the owner to be remembered that fondly and the rest of his tenure (and career) suggests he’s a fairly shite manager. In particular he seemed bereft of ideas when things weren't going well and got stuck in a rut of long runs without a win. On more than one occasion Ashley was forced to bail him out in January as new signings seemed to be the only way he could freshen things up during those poor runs. He’s also one of those managers with no discernible style / philosophy. He relied on coaches to do his coaching and couldn’t get to London quick enough / long enough when he had the chance when he was working here. Tl/dr: file under ‘fraud who was winging it’. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Spot on, notice how Pardew has his glasses on :lol: the classic Pardew trying to look like an intellectual go to. 

You mentioned before how he went continental intellectual when things were going well and cockney geezer during the bad spells (or words to that effect) :lol: 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

You mentioned before how he went continental intellectual when things were going well and cockney geezer during the bad spells (or words to that effect) :lol: 

:lol: Half expect him to throw in a couple of “how do you say?” When the glasses come out. 

• Haha 2

:lol: Luke is back defending his favorite person, who didn’t move training sessions to evenings but sometimes he did. Thanks pisshead. 

Special points for “this is dull” when he’s the one that started arguing with a post that had zero to do with him. 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 3

Barnes liked a lie in. He’d spent years perfecting the art. Sometimes you just had to make about a hundred other people have nothing to do all morning so that you could sober up and have 4 Wetherspoons breakfasts and a cheeky Nando’s before getting the cones out. But the cones always came out, that’s what counts.   

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, trophyshy said:

Barnes liked a lie in. He’d spent years perfecting the art. Sometimes you just had to make about a hundred other people have nothing to do all morning so that you could sober up and have 4 Wetherspoons breakfasts and a cheeky Nando’s before getting the cones out. But the cones always came out, that’s what counts.   

ezgif.com-resize-1-1.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1