Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

15 minutes ago, McFaul said:

That's where Weldy lives.

I love how dismissive and cheeky he is of Barton.  One of the biggest wanks not just in football history, but actual history itself.

He does have a few bob on himself considering he had about one good season in his time here. His career in general is a bit like that though. That's before you get into the Morrissey quotes and philosphy by numbers shit he started spouting after he gave up the drink.

2 hours ago, McFaul said:

That's where Weldy lives.

I love how dismissive and cheeky he is of Barton.  One of the biggest wanks not just in football history, but actual history itself.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Aye, he'd been one of those throwing the petrol bombs at his house.

Had relatives lived out in the countryside at Lisburn. One was in a car overturned by a roadside bomb. 

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I like how it’s meant to be an achievement that as a striker he’s managed at least 1 goal every season :lol:

Given the amount of time he was out injured, it is

He was never truly world class after he lost his pace but he was still a very good player. Probably the best Brtitish player of the last couple of decades when you consider his longevity. Great motivational speaker as well

I always thought he could have contributed more if he'd played inside more,even in  a roaving role.Longevity and medals won cannot be ignored but it doesn't contribute,in my eyes,when discussing how good a player was.The thing with Barnes is,he was in his prime before SKY took over football so my views on Barnes are mainly from highlights.For a number of seasons Barnes seemed untouchable on the left wing but also looked more than half decent when he drifted inside.

1 minute ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

I always thought he could have contributed more if he'd played inside more,even in  a roaving role.Longevity and medals won cannot be ignored but it doesn't contribute,in my eyes,when discussing how good a player was.The thing with Barnes is,he was in his prime before SKY took over football so my views on Barnes are mainly from highlights.For a number of seasons Barnes seemed untouchable on the left wing but also looked more than half decent when he drifted inside.

Barnes was a fantastic player too. Like you say, it's hard to compare players from eras when there was a lot less TV coverage.

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Shearer?

If he hadn't been badly injured at the stage in his career (v Everton) perhaps. He was probably only about 75% of the player he'd been after that.

11 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

He contributed a goal or an assist roughly every two league games. Not bad from the left wing. Who would he have replaced in the midfield? Keane? Scholes? Djemba Djemba?

Edited by ewerk

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

If he hadn't been badly injured at the stage in his career (v Everton) perhaps. He was probably only about 75% of the player he'd been after that.

Still better than Giggs. Rio and Ashley Cole too, both up there with best in the world in their respective positions whereas I don't think Giggs was

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Still better than Giggs. Rio and Ashley Cole too, both up there with best in the world in their respective positions whereas I don't think Giggs was

How many better LWs were playing during Giggs' time?

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

How many better LWs were playing during Giggs' time?

Figo and Nedved off the top of my head both won the Balon d'or and are similar ages to him

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Figo and Nedved off the top of my head both won the Balon d'or and are similar ages to him

Didn't Figo mostly play on the right? There could be a case for Nedved, I didn't see enough of him to make a proper comparison but his stats wouldn't match Giggs'.

31 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Nah

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

He contributed a goal or an assist roughly every two league games. Not bad from the left wing. Who would he have replaced in the midfield? Keane? Scholes? Djemba Djemba?

Assists are bollocks.You get an assist if you take a corner which is then put into the net.Alli's dives  in the box resulting in Keane scoring the pens could be classed as assists.50 yard humps into the box leading directly to a goal are assists.I just think  Giggs would have offered more  if he'd spent more time away from the left  touchline.Not by  displacing either of the two best midfield players I've seen in English football.