Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today just a year ago I was making the dream of my life come true and I was able to meet you   (Yes... I was the first to enter the stadium)  

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

:lol: at Everton fans being indignant at being compared to NUFC and West Ham. They’ve won 1 FA Cup in the last 30 years

When we've been in the Premier League we've finished above Everton 13 times.  Them above us 10.  13-10, and I still think that's shit, yet they're stunned Fat Sam compared us.  At our peak we were on another planet to them, its just under Ashley any cunt would struggle.  They are THE most deluded ugly people on god's earth bar none.

25 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

But for Hans Segers getting his palms greased they'd have been down in the 90's. 

...and they'd have stayed down.  They are far more like Aston Villa.  Lets be honest we grumbled winning the league last season, because it was largely shite.  Well I did. 6/10 at best.

1 minute ago, McFaul said:

...and they'd have stayed down.  They are far more like Aston Villa.  Lets be honest we grumbled winning the league last season, because it was largely shite.  Well I did. 6/10 at best.

They've a bee in their bonnet about us, quite a few of them for some reason?

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

They've a bee in their bonnet about us, quite a few of them for some reason?

Largely because plenty of us believe that we were a better club than them 93-2007 with a far far far bigger fanbase.  FFS what's wrong with that?  They always say "one club city", the toon is half the size of Liverpool, and Tyne and Wear a lot smaller than Merseyside, and even the mackems generally have had better support than them over the last 25 years.  They think spending £200m in 3 months makes them part of the European elite, shame all the players are shite.

24 minutes ago, McFaul said:

Largely because plenty of us believe that we were a better club than them 93-2007 with a far far far bigger fanbase.  FFS what's wrong with that?  They always say "one club city", the toon is half the size of Liverpool, and Tyne and Wear a lot smaller than Merseyside, and even the mackems generally have had better support than them over the last 25 years.  They think spending £200m in 3 months makes them part of the European elite, shame all the players are shite.

Like Villa and a couple of others it boils their piss when the magedia talk about us and ignore them I suppose?

My dad is an Everton fan and as far as i can recall, his view for the past 20 years is that they have been consistently shite, and that he wished he didn't support them :lol:

He follows Carlisle as well in order to cheer him up a bit, which i think says it all...

The absolute bullshit Jenas comes out with and expands on with encouragement from Gerrard who also develops amnesia from that period is staggering. Why do BT and Sky only seem to have ex-NUFC people on who seem to hold some bitterness whereas the likes of Liverpool only have bona fide club men representing their clubs? Pleased Shearer picked up on this.

You don't think playing under Souness at Newcastle would be detrimental to your development vs playing for Benitez at Liverpool back then?

I mean, I think he's right to say he needs to look in the mirror for the answers as to where his career went wrong, but I also think he's right (and too honest) in what he's saying.

There was a period of about 5 mins where Jenas looked like a hell of a prospect, but mostly he was just shite.

I'm not defending his playing or saying he showed anything special after his England caps, just that his point is correct and he's a decent pundit (not something you can say for Shearer tbh).

9 minutes ago, adios said:

You don't think playing under Souness at Newcastle would be detrimental to your development vs playing for Benitez at Liverpool back then?

I mean, I think he's right to say he needs to look in the mirror for the answers as to where his career went wrong, but I also think he's right (and too honest) in what he's saying.

Howay man, bulk of his NUFC career was under Robson at a CL club training with professionals like Shearer, Speed, Given etc, he left the club at 22, was young PFA at NUFC under the lesser players that Gerrard and McManaman, the former of whom finished behind but can't remember, mentions. Why not mention Spurs? He did fuck all there and his career was pretty much the standard of average yet it seems they get a free pass as they're currently a decent CL club? It's pure revisionism and although McManaman and Gerrard may genuinely be ignorant about NUFC as they patently couldn't give a fuck about us Jenas should know better as it's his career he's talking about. 

2 minutes ago, adios said:

There was a period of about 5 mins where Jenas looked like a hell of a prospect, but mostly he was just shite.

I'm not defending his playing or saying he showed anything special after his England caps, just that his point is correct and he's a decent pundit (not something you can say for Shearer tbh).

Nothing wrong with Shearer as a pundit 

16 minutes ago, adios said:

Theres a lot in this like. Souness played for Liverpool and all they did in training was 5 a side; because they had half a dozen world class players they didn’t need to keep sharpening their skills. Souness had Dean fuckin Saunders doing any training at NUFC. For me Jenas decline with us started with the appointment of Souness. 

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Howay man, bulk of his NUFC career was under Robson at a CL club training with professionals like Shearer, Speed, Given etc, he left the club at 22, was young PFA at NUFC under the lesser players that Gerrard and McManaman, the former of whom finished behind but can't remember, mentions. Why not mention Spurs? He did fuck all there and his career was pretty much the standard of average yet it seems they get a free pass as they're currently a decent CL club? It's pure revisionism and although McManaman and Gerrard may genuinely be ignorant about NUFC as they patently couldn't give a fuck about us Jenas should know better as it's his career he's talking about. 

Ramos' name was brought up (admittedly by the host) so Spurs was mentioned.  As I said, he need only look in the mirror, and as @Gemmill says he may well be being revisionist (perhaps borrowing the narrative from someone who was telling the truth).

The irony for me is that Shearer will absolutely believe the same thing (although he's not brave/stupid enough to say it and it is actually true for him).

I don't think Jenas' failure is as simple as "he was shite" or "he was a lazy cunt".  It's way more nuanced than that and there's elements of truth in what he says about his own time that I've no interest in getting into.

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Nothing wrong with Shearer as a pundit 

I think this situation is a perfect example.  Jenas brings up an interesting point and Shearer shoots it down with a snide comment (which I did find funny tbf).  

Or maybe Shearer's thinking a step beyond me and disarming a situation (that could get ugly) with a bit of piss taking.

I may be biased the other way as I'm disappointed in Shearer as a pundit.  I loved him as a player (fucking obviously) but I think he's probably a bit of a dick as a bloke and not very insightful in what he says.  He does fight Newcastle's corner/is actually knowledgeable about the club on MOTD though which is a very pleasant change.

What utter bollocks that Gerrard and Lampard were playing with such a better class of player than he was. We were neck and neck with Liverpool and Chelsea during his time here. Him giving up towards the end didn’t do the team any favours.